Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Everything Audiobooks > Audiobook Hardware & Software

Notices

Old 07-08-2016, 09:28 AM   #1
avid01
Addict
avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4
Android audiobook/podcast app with the following features?

Sorry for the copy-paste from the Android forum, I just realized we have a separate audiobook forum here!

I'm still looking for something which just works.

Consideration #1:

The user interface has to look something like this, from a usability standpoint. From left and right to the middle play/pause button you have a skip forward/rewind button (my preference is 15s, but you can adjust in most of these).

Some players get it totally wrong, when they put the skip chapter next to the skip 15 sec button, it's a usability disaster. Google Play Podcasts didn't arrive to my region, but if I'm not mistaken, the wise designer at Google has fallen to the same trap as well.

Consideration #2: If I have a single MP3 file from whatever source I (legal don't worry, I just listen to many single episodes, not only 'official' podcasts) on my computer, I should be able to add the single MP3 file to the player, not only full fledged podcast feeds.

The best option I have found so far is Material Audiobook Player (which is free software, by the way), but it still has quite a few friggin' annoyances to me. The developer is a nice guy, he is just a single person developing this app as a hobby, if you offered him a full time job to concentrate only on this app, maybe it would be different.

My annoyances with Material Audiobook Player:

1. If I tap on any of the screen, the track starts playing or pauses. This is at odds with pocketability. It may start stop without your consent when your phone is in your hand in your pocket. Why should a player start/stop whenever you click on them? It's simply bad practice for user interface. It's more than enough if only the playback controls act as - playback controls.

2. On the latest version the time counter is buggy. It is important because when I'm listening I also take notes, with time stamps, when appropriate.

Anyways, I still haven't found any better, so it is my daily driver. If you know of anything better (can be free as well), I'm open to your suggestions!

Pocket Casts users! (It is said to be a robust, popular player.) Is there a way to add an offline MP3 file from my computer to Pocket Casts?

Last edited by avid01; 07-08-2016 at 12:29 PM.
avid01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 02:15 PM   #2
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
On the usability and GUI stuff, I'm afraid that what you see as absolutes are really just personal preferences, and if you are not willing to adapt or compromise, you should probably considering coding your own. Maybe find an open-source project as a starting point, and develope a new GUI. You may even find enough people share your opinions to make some money off it.

For the single MP3 issue, Podcast Addict can certainly do it, that's the only podcast app I've used.
Audio book players would all handle the single mp3, I'd imagine.

(I use Listen, which you probably wouldn't like because of the large play/pause screen area....I happen to agree with you on that, but it's a minor issue for me and hasn't been a problem.)
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-26-2016, 03:39 PM   #3
avid01
Addict
avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
(I use Listen, which you probably wouldn't like because of the large play/pause screen area....I happen to agree with you on that, but it's a minor issue for me and hasn't been a problem.)
You didn't mention on which platform "Listen" is available. As the name is quite generic, a link would help as well.
avid01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 04:14 PM   #4
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by avid01 View Post
You didn't mention on which platform "Listen" is available. As the name is quite generic, a link would help as well.
Android only as far as I know:
Listen Audiobook Player
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 11:48 AM   #5
angelyne
Connoisseur
angelyne is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500
I use Bookmobile available for IOS (maybe android, I don't know). They put all their skips ahead/forward in a circle in the middle of the screen.
angelyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert