Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 06-17-2012, 12:48 PM   #1
Themus
Zealot
Themus has learned how to read e-booksThemus has learned how to read e-booksThemus has learned how to read e-booksThemus has learned how to read e-booksThemus has learned how to read e-booksThemus has learned how to read e-booksThemus has learned how to read e-booksThemus has learned how to read e-books

Device: Nook
Dangling Quote or Footnote Reference Number

Greetings on Father's Day.

Anyone know how I can control a dangling quote or footnote reference number in an ePub? Specifically, my Word files which are converted in Calibre to Aliko reader have on occassion the formating where at the end of the line is a single quotation mark or on a new line by itself the reference number of a footnote.

Example:

The man replied"
Good Morning"

or
The book is referenced.

In the first case the quotation mark should stick with the word Good and the 2 should stick with the word referenced.

like so:

The man replied
"Good Morning"

or The book is referenced.2 {2 being a supscript}

Or is there no control over this.

Thank you.
Themus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 03:24 PM   #2
mmat1
Berti
mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Acer Lumiread
I guess there should be a space between "replied" and the quote; and no space between the quote and "Good".

Concerning the reference: this is a bit more tricky, since there is a dot and always some code in background. Try to move the 2 before the dot. If the results doesn't satisfy you, i see no other way than to edit the html directly.
mmat1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-18-2012, 07:18 AM   #3
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
If you edit the file, you can insert non-breaking spaces (*). This will make it stay together.

Sigil can do this for you. Sigil and other programs tend to insert these spaces instead of regular spaces when you press the space bar in their WYSIWYG mode.

These can cause problems if they are used indiscriminately. They can force the end of a line in the middle of a sentence if they make what are really single words into a solid block which can not be broken.
mrmikel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 07:27 AM   #4
Themus
Zealot
Themus has learned how to read e-booksThemus has learned how to read e-booksThemus has learned how to read e-booksThemus has learned how to read e-booksThemus has learned how to read e-booksThemus has learned how to read e-booksThemus has learned how to read e-booksThemus has learned how to read e-books

Device: Nook
Thank you for the suggestion. I actually 'thought' I tried that in Word, inserting a non-breaking space before the first quote symbol. However, by the time it went from Webfiltered html through the Calibre conversion, and into Aldiko, it ended up being the same result. I tried the same thing with the reference footnote. Maybe Calibre stripped it out?
Themus is offline   Reply With Quote