Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-14-2011, 07:42 PM   #1
lisamaree82
lisamaree82 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4
Red face Recommendations for a cover/case for Kindle 4??

I am getting a Kindle 4 for Christmas, hooray. BUT I am terrified I am going to break the thing, or that one of my 4 children will.

I have an Otterbox for my phone and I was hoping that I could get something similar for my Kindle, but they only have it for the KK.

I ideally want something that stays on the device the entire time. I need it to be as indestructible as possible. I am not concerned about limited functionality or extra weight as I would rather put up with that than a have a broken Kindle!!

So any suggestions would be welcome, I have searched but I can't seem to find what I am after.
lisamaree82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 07:51 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Try the Gecko Luxe cover. It looks quite nice and covers the Kindle very well.

http://www.geckocovers.com/amazon-kindle-luxe-p-69.html
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-15-2011, 07:49 AM   #3
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
Well there are two types and you need to decide which type you want: there are jackets and sleeves.

The jackets are similar to the jacket you will wear outside when the weather is cold, same concept and then there are sleeves that are basically bags that the kindle slips into and out of. The only problem with the jackets are that they add extra weight to the kindle, in my case that extra weight was hurting my hand that held it thats why I ditched the jacket and bought a sleeve. Some people don't like sleeves becuase it takes a little time to unzip the sleeve to get at the kindle.

Personally I like the Skque sleeve that I bought a while ago from overstock.com for $2.50 - tinyurl.com/bsgq64l. Its cheep and works great. I would bet that overstock.com has some cheep jackets as well, however since I no longer use a jacket I really don't know about them any more.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 02:40 PM   #4
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
I love my Marware Eco-Flip! It protects really well.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 02:47 PM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Yes, the Marware covers are excellent, I agree.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-15-2011, 05:06 PM   #6
Martyd
Zealot
Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard,nexus 7,Kindle Voyage
About the Marware flip. My K3 goes into a slot on my Mareware flip. Nice tight fit. I see the K4/touch Marware has corner straps. I prefer the slide in flip like the K3 one has. Anyway, since the two Kindles are slightly different in size, does the new Marware hold the K4 snug?
Martyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 05:09 PM   #7
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martyd View Post
About the Marware flip. My K3 goes into a slot on my Mareware flip. Nice tight fit. I see the K4/touch Marware has corner straps. I prefer the slide in flip like the K3 one has. Anyway, since the two Kindles are slightly different in size, does the new Marware hold the K4 snug?
Yep snug as a bug in a rug!
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 08:53 PM   #8
Staked
This space for rent
Staked once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Staked once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Staked once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Staked once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Staked once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Staked once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Staked once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Staked once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Staked once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Staked once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Staked once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle Touch
I love my Timbuk2 Dinner Jacket. Fits perfectly and clipping a light on works wonderfully as well.
Staked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 05:10 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martyd View Post
There are different Marware cases for the K4 and KT because, as you say, they are different sizes. The KT one holds the Kindle extremely firmly. The corner straps are elasticated, with a leather "sleeve" over the elastic on the part that goes over the Kindle itself.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 05:32 AM   #10
lisamaree82

Thank you all so much for your suggestions, off to have a good look now.
Old 12-17-2011, 07:59 AM   #11
patrickt
Wizard
patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4 X 2
A. Sleeve vs. Cover. When I got my first Kindle, a Kindle3 Keyboard, I took a coffee bean sack, slid a cork liner in, and carried my Kindle in that until I could get a proper cover. With that, and with my netbook sleeve, the getting the device in and out of the sleeve was dicey. I'll admit I'm a klutz. With covers, the device doesn't go in and out at all. It just sits there.

B. I can't imagine getting an artsy cover that costs as much as the Kindle because it's cute.

C. So, I got a Marware Atlas, http://www.amazon.com/Marware-Atlas-...4126630&sr=1-2, because at the time, 2.5 months ago, it was the cheapest available from Amazon. Honestly, it works just fine. It holds the Kindle securely, it's convenient to hold with one hand while I'm reading. It's a tad awkward to connect the charging cord with the Kindle in the case but I do that once a week and it isn't a big deal.

D. For what it's worth, I never, as in absolutely not once, leave my home without my Kindle in my daypack. I will not be trapped somewhere without my Kindle. If I get kidnapped I can read my way through confinement for three years just with books on my Kindle waiting to be read. The Kindle normally goes into an outer pocket on the pack and the pack rides on my shoulder, sits on the floor, and occasionally falls off a chair. So far, the Kindle has been fine. The Kindle is not as durable as a brick but it's not a fragile as a flower.

Last edited by patrickt; 12-17-2011 at 08:02 AM.
patrickt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 07:15 PM   #12
lisamaree82

I am highly unlikely to be taking my Kindle out of the house except when we are camping, which isn't all that often. I love the look of the Marware covers. If I had more money than sense I would get an Oberon, they are pretty lol.

The more I think about it, the more I realise if I just put it up when I am finished with it it will be safe from the destructobots so any case will do. I may get a sleeve and a cover and decide which one I prefer.

Thanks again for all your help!