Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Feedback

Notices

Old 07-04-2011, 04:43 AM   #16
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 04:45 AM   #17
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
This is why it's important to quote the text that you're replying to. That way, if the original poster changes his post to say something completely different, you're covered .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-04-2011, 04:46 AM   #18
Javed
Grand Sorcerer
Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO, iPod Touch, PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halo View Post
Please consider disabling editing of posts.

Several times I have gone to a thread to read it only to find that the original poster has edited or removed their question after it was answered. This makes it hard to know what the replies are talking about, or makes the entire thread useless. It's particularly annoying when searching for something specific only to find that the poster got their answer and then self-destructed the thread.

I realize that being able to edit a post is convenient, but the forum already provides the ability to preview a post before publishing it. An occasional typo or spelling mistake is preferable to having confusing or useless threads.
I agree with Harry. There is a quote feature that can be useful if used in a timely manner.
Javed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 04:51 AM   #19
lestatar
LB's lolz Mutt Minion
lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3, GalaxyTab, BB Bold9700, BB 8300, Sony Clie, Palm Vx, Palm III
Gotta say: EDIT is vital. We all make typos. We all may want to clarify stuff on occasion. We are all adults here, mostly.

No need for such a dramatic step IMO.

This is why the "QUOTE" function is so useful.
lestatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 06:25 AM   #20
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
Quote:
Originally Posted by lestatar View Post
We all may want to clarify stuff on occasion.

If you want to clarify something wouldn't it be better to clarify it in a new post than in the original? It had the additional advantage that someone would read it because most people only read the most recent posts especially when they have read the first posts already.
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-04-2011, 06:30 AM   #21
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa View Post
As one who is notorious for making typos..I would have to say a big old "NO" to this suggestion. Anyone following the thread will probably see whats happening, or ask if they're not sure. Taking away everyone's editing rights because one or two bad threads is ridiculous.

Just my 2 cents.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 06:47 AM   #22
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
This is why it's important to quote the text that you're replying to. That way, if the original poster changes his post to say something completely different, you're covered .

Is this really the "task" of the quote function? To provide security from changes? I think - especially when you're answering to the very last post so that the two posts stand one below the other - quoting should on the contrary be highly discouraged because it makes reading the thread remarkably harder and doesn't add any value. (My personal opinion, I know, many here think otherwise about it).
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 07:33 AM   #23
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
You know, that's exactly what I wanted to say to you! You should have quoted, then the thread I linked at would have made sense

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billi View Post
Is this really the "task" of the quote function? To provide security from changes? I think - especially when you're answering to the very last post so that the two posts stand one below the other - quoting should on the contrary be highly discouraged because it makes reading the thread remarkably harder and doesn't add any value. (My personal opinion, I know, many here think otherwise about it).
No, but I still like to quote the text I"m responding to. Makes it easier for me to respond and read afterwards
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 07:47 AM   #24
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billi View Post
I think - especially when you're answering to the very last post so that the two posts stand one below the other - quoting should on the contrary be highly discouraged because it makes reading the thread remarkably harder and doesn't add any value. (My personal opinion, I know, many here think otherwise about it).
Many times while I have been typing a reply, 2-3 new replies/posts have been added. If I didn't quote the post I have been replying to, it would indeed look out of place. Then again, Edit feature would save me, because I could immediately edit the post by adding a quotation from the post I have been answering to.
Old 07-04-2011, 08:39 AM   #25
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
I agree with you Nyssa. I occasionally make typo's and it is good to be able to correct myself if I catch that I've made an error. Or sometimes I see my posting (after just having made it) and realize that I haven't made my meaning quite clear so I go back and add to it in an effort to avoid confusion.
Yes. I do that as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by odiakkoh View Post
As annoying as it is when people delete what they have posted I can't think of a single thread I've seen on this forum where you can't get the gist of the conversation from the responses.
Right. That was one of the points I was trying to make.

Quote:
Originally Posted by astra View Post
Many times while I have been typing a reply, 2-3 new replies/posts have been added. If I didn't quote the post I have been replying to, it would indeed look out of place. Then again, Edit feature would save me, because I could immediately edit the post by adding a quotation from the post I have been answering to.
This has happened to me as well, and like you, I will go back and quote the post to which I was responding.

As for the 15 minute suggestion: I've been on sites with that rule and I'm still not a huge fan. It is better than removing the "Edit" option all together, but its still "punishing" everybody. I usually give myself a half-hour window to edit vs adding a new post; especially if I'm working on a problem. A good example are with plug-ins: If I have a question or an issue that requires my testing something, then I'll continue to edit my last post until someone else responds. I clarify what I'm doing by adding "Edit:" and then typing the add'l info. Not everyone does that, but as stated earlier, more times than not you can figure out whats going on.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 11:56 AM   #26
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
and sometimes some of us have been in an altered state of mind whilst posting and going back later and seeing what we have written has caused some remorse. I know when I was recovering from knee surgery and highly medicated I came out with some real zingers
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 04:18 PM   #27
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halo View Post
Please consider disabling editing of posts.

Several times I have gone to a thread to read it only to find that the original poster has edited or removed their question after it was answered. This makes it hard to know what the replies are talking about, or makes the entire thread useless. It's particularly annoying when searching for something specific only to find that the poster got their answer and then self-destructed the thread.

I realize that being able to edit a post is convenient, but the forum already provides the ability to preview a post before publishing it. An occasional typo or spelling mistake is preferable to having confusing or useless threads.

No, no, no, no, no and NO! For a number of reasons, only one of which is correcting typos. The fact that you can go back and edit previous posts forever is one of the nicest features of this forum (operationally, of course).

It would also mess up all our book nomination threads, where the details are updated in the first or second thread. It also allows updates to hack instruction threads which might otherwise be misleading or inaccurate.

Did I say no to this idea yet?
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 04:21 PM   #28
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
In fact, thinking about this some more, I'd like to extend the feature to be able to edit other people's posts.

Think of the fun that would be
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 04:38 PM   #29
astra
The Introvert

Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
In fact, thinking about this some more, I'd like to extend the feature to be able to edit other people's posts.

Old 07-04-2011, 04:55 PM   #30
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
No, no, no, no, no and NO! For a number of reasons, only one of which is correcting typos. The fact that you can go back and edit previous posts forever is one of the nicest features of this forum (operationally, of course).

It would also mess up all our book nomination threads, where the details are updated in the first or second thread. It also allows updates to hack instruction threads which might otherwise be misleading or inaccurate.

Did I say no to this idea yet?

You make an excellent point! Excellent!

Quote:

Noooooooooo!
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote