Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 07-12-2017, 06:20 AM   #1
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
USB memory stick for Onyx Boox Max (Carta too)

I have one of those two sided USB sticks that have a micro USB connector on one end that I sometimes used with my phones if I needed to back up something in a hurry.

However, when I insert it into the Boox Max Carta absolutely nothing happens. I've tried with and without USB debugging. Absolutely nothing. Doesn't recognize it. Completely ignores it. I'm guessing there is no OTG for the micro port.

If that is the case Onyx is deceptive in its marketing. Stating that it has a micro USB port it is reasonable to assume it can handel a memory stick.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 08:42 AM   #2
mdp
Wizard
mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
I have one of those two sided USB sticks that have a micro USB connector on one end that I sometimes used with my phones if I needed to back up something in a hurry.

However, when I insert it into the Boox Max Carta absolutely nothing happens. I've tried with and without USB debugging. Absolutely nothing. Doesn't recognize it. Completely ignores it. I'm guessing there is no OTG for the micro port.

If that is the case Onyx is deceptive in its marketing. Stating that it has a micro USB port it is reasonable to assume it can handel a memory stick.
USB OTG is part of the features of the i.Mx6 SoloLite. The firmware disabled its use on second thoughts. In detail: it worked before
(see Booxtor's early tests)

and then was disabled since (Booxtor's explanations on 13 May 2016):

Quote:
«Concerning USB Host mode - it worked on some of my earlier samples of M96 and T68. However Onyx decided to disable it later since some connected devices caused problems with fast battery drain . Sometimes batteries were discharged lower than allowed LiPO batteries threshold voltage, which made it impossible to recharge them without some special tools. This obviously caused complains by users.

IMHO Bluetooth keyboards or gamepads /klicker are better alternative. Currently demand for USB host mode on Onyx devices is quite low. Until now I got probably not more than 3-5 requests for it. In case it will be really demanded I could ask for special series with enabled USB Host.»
The mention of the OTG is pretty frequent in the forum.

The most sensible proposal in my opinion would be to ask Onyx for a "switch OTG on" option. One has to understand that this implies for them the hassle of "I can't recharge my device, fix it" etc.

Although I cannot see why this battery problem would not be universal.
mdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 09:37 AM   #3
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Basically an average use scenario is for a few minutes, moving to or from internal memory to be transported to some other device. How much damage can that do to the battery?

But I think it underscores that Onyx intentionally has cut corners any place they could.
Old 07-12-2017, 01:26 PM   #4
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
Quote:
Basically an average use scenario is for a few minutes, moving to or from internal memory to be transported to some other device. How much damage can that do to the battery?

But I think it underscores that Onyx intentionally has cut corners any place they could.
For your use case, a few minutes of use is true. For people using keyboards or clickers, they might leave them plugged in for very long periods of time.
rkomar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 01:27 PM   #5
mdp
Wizard
mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Most people, me included, intended to use USB-OTG chiefly for input devices. Then I went BlueTooth and got convinced, it is in fact battery efficient.

Quote:
I have seen devices (other brands) that are more closed than an ugly intentional virgin. I may accept [ = take note] that they exist, provided I see them around as little as possible. Onyx looks to me as a good, honest attempt. I find it odd that today, when I have to buy an open product [ = when I have to buy a product] it ends up to be Chinese.
Old 07-12-2017, 06:40 PM   #6
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkomar View Post
For your use case, a few minutes of use is true. For people using keyboards or clickers, they might leave them plugged in for very long periods of time.
Good point, but then put in a software switch turning on OTG with a warning that extended usage depletes battery faster. I just hate it when they treat users as a bunch of incompetent idiots.
Old 07-12-2017, 06:45 PM   #7
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdp View Post

I have seen devices (other brands) that are more closed than an ugly intentional virgin. I may accept [ = take note] that they exist, provided I see them around as little as possible.
So a Chinese virgin is preferable to a Japanese virgin? Well, these days half of those under 30, and this includes men, are virgins in Japan.
Old 07-13-2017, 06:56 AM   #8
mdp
Wizard

Quote:
So a Chinese virgin is preferable to a Japanese virgin? Well, these days half of those under 30, and this includes men, are virgins in Japan.
You mean virgin wool, virgin devices, virgin sign, virgin brand?
I do not have the statistics per age about all those so very many named Chang in China, but "Chang" means "open", and it is a good thing, and it better stay like that.

Last edited by mdp; 07-13-2017 at 07:17 AM.
Old 07-13-2017, 07:54 AM   #9
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic

Virgin oil of course, extra virgin.

Tags
memory stick, usb