Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 05-04-2013, 06:15 PM   #1
Sekmeth
Sekmeth began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Doesnt get access to microSD

Hello!!

I have a Sony PRS-T1 reader and a Samsung Class10 microSD card of 32 Gb.

When I turn on the ereader with the microSD plugged, the ereader "doesnt see" the card, so I cant access to the ebook or format it.
But If I plug the microSD with the ereader turned on, the ereader recognise it and I have full access to it.

I have tried a lot: hard reset of the reader, upgrade the firmware, format the microSD at the ereader (and Windows too),.... but no success.

If I use a smaller microSD (like 4 Gb), the ereader works ok without any issue.

Do someone have an 32 Gb microSD card with the ereader?
Sekmeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 07:32 AM   #2
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
I believe the class 10 is the problem. What class is the 4GB that you tried? Ereaders tend to do better with a slower speed card.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 10:58 AM   #3
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
I believe the class 10 is the problem. What class is the 4GB that you tried? Ereaders tend to do better with a slower speed card.
Doubtful, I have around a dozen Class 10 cards of sizes from 4-32GB and all work with all my Sony eReaders as well as smartphone... Class 10 is not a very fast card nor a very slow one... I'd recommend the OP to try the card in other devices and/or reformat as well as running a disk check over it on a computer...
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 11:49 AM   #4
Sekmeth
Sekmeth began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
I checked it on Windows and his "Check disk utility" and it was clear.
Also deleted the partition of the microSD and used the Sony Reader to format it in his own file system.
(I tried some "format utility for pendrive/microSD" I found on internet but no success).

Before all of this, the microSD was used in an Android smartphone for amount three or four months without any issue.
Sekmeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 05:08 PM   #5
AnotherCat
AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ....
Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
I tend to agree with that. There does seem be a lot of evidence that, for reasons at large, a specific card can be problematical in one device but work fine in others, and that Class 10 cards (especially those of larger capacities) are more prone to this than those of a slower speed class.

Other evidence is that device manufacturers also typically remove themselves, in manuals and advice, from any commitment that all cards within specification capacity for the device will work.

Yet more evidence is that many devices will accept cards of capacity larger than that specified for the device, but often only if that is a card of a slower class. One could infer from this that if using cards of the device's maximum specified capacity it is best to stick with slower class cards.

In most uses Class 6 is perfectly adequate, and certainly so for ereader requirements. In order to avoid potential problems I use Class 6 in smart phones (so supporting music, still camera and video) and readers. Of course, if one has the (rare) opportunity to actually test card in the device before purchasing then it would make sense to me get the fastest card that works (and biggest within the device's specification) and budget allows.
AnotherCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 11:14 PM   #6
filmo
Wizard
filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony T1, Kobo Mini
T1 will format the external SD card. This has always worked for me. It is on page 2 of home screen under Settings, Initialization, Format Memory.

SD association formatting tool with full overwrite formatting also works with SD card plugged into your computer using Microsoft Windows OS.
https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_3/
filmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 06:04 PM   #7
liasom
liasom began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-T1
I use Samsung 32GB Class 6 and have had no problems. I have five of them to contain my music collection. Got them for $20 each at my local FRY's.
liasom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 04:16 AM   #8
Teknikal
Fanatic
Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T1, Note Pro 12.2, Honor 10
I use a class 10 myself in my Sony no problems didn't even format it ever it's Samsung branded. I don't really trust any brand but Samsung and Sandisk the rest are too hit and miss it's worth spending the extra in my opinion.

I'd try to format the card in a Samsung phone or something.
Teknikal is offline   Reply With Quote