Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 01-04-2013, 10:24 AM   #1
Martin Hollander
Martin Hollander began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
Extract Pubdate

Hi,

Perhaps I did not search correctly but I am looking for a function in Calibre that extracts the publication date from the book contents itself, like Extract ISBN does for ISBN.

Most books contain, within the first few pages, the copyright symbol followed by a four digit year of first publication. It would be nice if this year could be extracted and used to set the pubdate metadata field.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Martin Hollander; 01-04-2013 at 11:06 AM.
Martin Hollander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 03:42 PM   #2
Sabardeyn
Guru
Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC (Calibre), Nexus 7 2013 (Moon+ Pro), HTC HD2/Leo (Freda)
I could be wrong, but I'm not aware of this function being available in calibre or any of it's plugins.

It might be possible for Kiwidude to modify his plugin Extract ISBN to do what you're looking for as the functionality is roughly equivalent.
Sabardeyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 01:08 PM   #3
mikaelalind
Fanatic
mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 505, Cybook Odessey
Well... I am not sure how detailed you want the publication date, but in my Calibre library, I have a column called " Utgiven",( which means publication date in Swedish) the column list publication month and year. If your library lacks it you can add it by clicking the big cogwheel and then clicking on add a custom column.
mikaelalind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 05:13 AM   #4
Martin Hollander

I also have this column with pubdate available. The problem is that this is almost always the date of publication of this specific issue of the ebook version. That is of course not the original publication date of the very first issue.

I want to use the original publication date to get my books sorted by author and then by original publication year.
Old 01-08-2013, 04:11 PM   #5
Sabardeyn
Guru
Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Why the need for a Release Date?

I'm just trying to understand your intent to use this information and if there might not be an alternate approach to handling things.
Old 01-09-2013, 02:13 PM   #6
Martin Hollander

Because I like to read books from an author in the order they were published, which is most likely the order in which they were written.

So I organise by author, then by publication year, then by series number or title.
Old 01-09-2013, 05:30 PM   #7
gridlewak
Enthusiast
gridlewak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gridlewak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gridlewak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gridlewak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gridlewak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gridlewak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gridlewak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gridlewak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gridlewak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gridlewak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gridlewak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Vox
To add to the publication date idea, I use this function as well. There is a certain reference book on vacuum tubes I collect that was issued in different versions. Having the publication date and/or version of reference manuals that have the same name makes it easier to find the version I am looking for.

Other books I collect have similar issues, so the use is there at least for me. 8c)

Last edited by gridlewak; 01-09-2013 at 05:35 PM.
gridlewak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 07:56 PM   #8
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Hmm!

The data on Hollow State Devices is pretty stable.

a #80 hasn't changed much (Along with the newer 5U4, 5W4 )
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 11:51 PM   #9
Sabardeyn
Guru

Martin,
What you seem to be doing is using a Publication Date as an Original Release Date.

Unfortunately the Publication Date is not a reliable indicator of the proper reading order for fiction. Authors back-fill events within their historical timeline on a regular basis. Also, especially recently, there has been a move to posthumously expand popular series - frequently using a time differential to minimize differences in the various author's writing styles / tones. Note that a Pubdate is tied to the release of a specific printing of a book. By itself it does not take into account: language, updates/revisions, altered content (story re-write), altered title (renamed), timeline forking, perspective forking, etc.

To continue with the idea of an Original Release Date, you would have to establish a custom column and find a reliable source for this information. If you get lucky you might be able to leach it from another online source - assuming you're capable of doing the necessary programming. If not you're looking at per book searching and data entry.

Since this is a very specific task with questionable usage, I cannot foresee any of the calibre or plugin programmers being willing to invest the time to handle something like this. You still might want to inquire with the Extract ISBN plugin creator, but I'm doubtful, despite the underlying similarity between his efforts and your desire. If the source code is available, you might be able to modify that code to fit your needs.

Gridlewak,
Normally, the primary metadata for any publication is not something I recommend altering, but in this instance, I think it might be the best way to handle things. Change the title of the book to include some differentiating term would be best. Changing "Vacuum Tube Review" into "Vacuum Tube Review, Spring 1967", or something similar.
Old 01-10-2013, 08:09 AM   #10
gridlewak
Enthusiast
gridlewak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gridlewak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gridlewak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gridlewak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gridlewak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gridlewak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gridlewak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gridlewak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gridlewak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gridlewak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gridlewak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Vox
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Hmm!

The data on Hollow State Devices is pretty stable.

a #80 hasn't changed much (Along with the newer 5U4, 5W4 )
Right you are there.

I'm a tad different here. I like collecting stuff like this. Sometimes, when just digging up some history on these items, checking older versions of the books can give me an idea as to when a specific tube may have been introduced.
gridlewak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 08:30 AM   #11
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by gridlewak View Post
Right you are there.

I'm a tad different here. I like collecting stuff like this. Sometimes, when just digging up some history on these items, checking older versions of the books can give me an idea as to when a specific tube may have been introduced.
Ah!
Old ARRL Handbooks might help , but I don't know about the suffixes (5U4GB)

Nothing like the cheery glow of a pair of EL34's
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pubdate