Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 02-21-2012, 10:20 AM   #1
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
UK Courts move towards blocking access to The Pirate Bay

http://www.bailii.org/ew/cases/EWHC/Ch/2012/268.html

This case determines that the operators of the TPB, and not just the users, are guilty of infringing on the copyrights of the claimant music firms.
This is a preliminary step to obtaining the same orders against UK ISPs as have already been obtained in respect of NewzBin, requiring them to block all access from their customers (essentially all UK users) to TPB.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 11:23 AM   #2
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
I'm probably being really naive here, but I was surprised to see Rough Trade were one of the instigators of this.
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 02:23 PM   #3
John Barlow
John Barlow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Barlow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Barlow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Barlow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Barlow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Barlow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Barlow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Barlow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Barlow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Barlow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Barlow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony
A simple question: would companies have to go through the same procedure for any new download/pirate site? As I understand it, that's the way it's gonna be in Spain (where I live).
John Barlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 02:30 PM   #4
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Barlow View Post
A simple question: would companies have to go through the same procedure for any new download/pirate site? As I understand it, that's the way it's gonna be in Spain (where I live).
I would have thought so, but with a precedent set it will probably get easier from now on. But wait until the scientist-ologists find out how easy it is to get stuff deleted from the internet. Or the creator-ists, or any other number of nutjobs.
Old 02-21-2012, 07:42 PM   #5
Ravensknight
Serpent Rider
Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350; Nook STR; Oasis
great.
The heyday of the internet seems to be winding down.
Maybe I can tell my grandkids about the days when the internet was wide open for everybody!
[I think I am beginning to understand how the cowboys felt when the big ranchers moved in and fenced everything in. sigh]
Ravensknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 08:29 PM   #6
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
Quote:
Originally Posted by murraypaul View Post
http://www.bailii.org/ew/cases/EWHC/Ch/2012/268.html

This case determines that the operators of the TPB, and not just the users, are guilty of infringing on the copyrights of the claimant music firms.
This is a preliminary step to obtaining the same orders against UK ISPs as have already been obtained in respect of NewzBin, requiring them to block all access from their customers (essentially all UK users) to TPB.
Seasoned users of the bay will simply use a VPN service.

This sort of flailing type response really does not work.
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 10:01 PM   #7
jmaejr
Banned
jmaejr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmaejr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmaejr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmaejr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmaejr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmaejr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmaejr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmaejr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmaejr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmaejr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmaejr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350:Sony PRS-T1:Rooted Nook Tablet
Why would anyone on this website want to go to TPB anyway...
jmaejr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 11:15 PM   #8
Giggleton
Banned
Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravensknight View Post
great.
The heyday of the internet seems to be winding down.
Maybe I can tell my grandkids about the days when the internet was wide open for everybody!
[I think I am beginning to understand how the cowboys felt when the big ranchers moved in and fenced everything in. sigh]

It's a garbage lawsuit, brought about because garbage companies want to keep as much of their garbage money as they can...
Giggleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 01:45 AM   #9
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabredog View Post
Seasoned users of the bay will simply use a VPN service.

This sort of flailing type response really does not work.
Yes and no. Nothing stops seasoned pirates, but it could prevent a lot of more casual users from going there.

A VPN service is always an option, but when you download a few GB via a free VPN service you can prepared to wait a few days until it finishes. And fast, good VPN services cost money.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 01:57 AM   #10
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
Yes and no. Nothing stops seasoned pirates, but it could prevent a lot of more casual users from going there.

A VPN service is always an option, but when you download a few GB via a free VPN service you can prepared to wait a few days until it finishes. And fast, good VPN services cost money.
True

But it is not hard to set up these days either. VPN client installs are very user friendly these days and 5Gb of quota is not that expensive.
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 04:57 AM   #11
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabredog View Post
True

But it is not hard to set up these days either. VPN client installs are very user friendly these days and 5Gb of quota is not that expensive.
It is yet another barrier though, and the more difficult something is to do, the more likely people decide not to bother.
Old 02-22-2012, 05:01 AM   #12
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass

Quote:
That's true, but it's more likely to be to dramatically reduce TPB's advertising income. With whole countries cut off, their hit rate will plummet, so they won't be as attractive to advertisers. Casual users will just gravitate to one of the other torrent sites that Google directs them to instead

Quote:
They would be more likely to just use the VPN for the torrent file (a few kb) and then download normally when they have it.
Old 02-22-2012, 05:03 AM   #13
murraypaul
Interested Bystander

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr ploppy View Post
They would be more likely to just use the VPN for the torrent file (a few kb) and then download normally when they have it.
Blocking TPB would have two effects:
a) You couldn't access the website to download a torrent file.
b) You couldn't contact the tracker to find peers to download any files.
Of course if there are multiple trackers defined for the torrent then b will have less impact.
Old 02-22-2012, 05:55 AM   #14
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
Red face Duh...

Well, now I know what a VPN is - sounds quite a handy thing to have, actually. Would you then be able to buy things from, say, US from UK ?

And, I now know what PTB stands for - twit

Anyway, when I found myself there, I noticed

"we used to have a nice graph here, but it's simpler to just say: 0 torrents has been removed, and 0 torrents will ever be removed.)"

Which I thought might be pushing their luck a bit - and perhaps creating a bit of a "dare you" situation ?
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 09:40 AM   #15
Belfaborac
Wizard
Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-950
Quote:
Originally Posted by carpetmojo View Post
Anyway, when I found myself there, I noticed

"we used to have a nice graph here, but it's simpler to just say: 0 torrents has been removed, and 0 torrents will ever be removed.)"

Which I thought might be pushing their luck a bit - and perhaps creating a bit of a "dare you" situation ?
It would be a bit late to cease daring their opponents to do their worst at this point, considering they've had a policy of publicising and ridiculing the legal writs they've received since pretty much day one.
Belfaborac is offline   Reply With Quote