Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 12-17-2011, 12:50 AM   #1
darthreader13
darthreader13 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
[OLD Thread] Some questions before buying the fire.

Hello everybody, I have owned a Kindle for about a year and love it. I have been looking at the new Kindle Fire and it really looks great, but I always have some reservation on buying something without know more about it. So, here are some questions that I hope some of you can help me with.

Is reading with a back lit screen hard on the eyes? Unlike the comfort of the e-ink screen?

Does the Kindle Fire have text to speech?

Are there free apps and games like on android phones?

I will be able to put all my current Kindle books on the Fire?

Can I download movies that I already have on it?

Can I download audiobooks that I already have to the Fire?

These are some questions of the top of my head, any help will be much appreciated.

Thank you!
darthreader13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 01:13 AM   #2
Morpheus Phreak
Wielder of Hammers
Morpheus Phreak is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Morpheus Phreak is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Morpheus Phreak is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Morpheus Phreak is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Morpheus Phreak is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Morpheus Phreak is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Morpheus Phreak is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Morpheus Phreak is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Morpheus Phreak is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Morpheus Phreak is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Morpheus Phreak is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: Kindle Keyboard & Kindle Fire
Answers are in-line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthreader13 View Post
Hello everybody, I have owned a Kindle for about a year and love it. I have been looking at the new Kindle Fire and it really looks great, but I always have some reservation on buying something without know more about it. So, here are some questions that I hope some of you can help me with.

Is reading with a back lit screen hard on the eyes? Unlike the comfort of the e-ink screen? That is dependent on if the person tends to be sensitive to backlit screen technology. I do not experience headaches or noticeable eye-strain with the Fire, or with most other screens.

Does the Kindle Fire have text to speech? TTS is not yet enabled, and there is no firm commitment to enable it as far as I'm aware. Anyone else please correct me if there's newer information available.

Are there free apps and games like on android phones? Yes, Amazon has a free app of the day, and often puts items on very low-priced sales. Lately there's been a lot of $0.10 items.

I will be able to put all my current Kindle books on the Fire? Most if not all your Kindle books should work on it.

Can I download movies that I already have on it? The Fire has limited format support for video. If you are referring to items purchased via Amazon, then yes those should be available to download & view on the Fire.

Can I download audiobooks that I already have to the Fire? You can if they are in the right audio format, and it's even easier if they are from Audible as you can use the Fire as an AudibleReady device

These are some questions of the top of my head, any help will be much appreciated.

Thank you!
Morpheus Phreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-17-2011, 01:43 AM   #3
ssahnan
Enthusiast
ssahnan is on a distinguished road

Device: kindle3g, kindle touch, kindle fire, kindle ipad 1 and 2, kindle iphon
I would add that I too don't really ever hit eye strain reading on backlit screens but then again, for me atleast, no, it is not the comfort level of reading on a e-ink display, especially longterm. I never stop reading on a ipad of the fire because my eyes/head hurt, but my reading sessions are always longer on my e-ink kindles then my backlit devices. Comfort has got to have something to do with that. In addition, all backlit screens really stink in comparison to e-ink in outdoor natural light settings. I usually do some reading when waiting for my son in the school line(sometimes i park in line early if it works out timewise) and if trying to read on the fire or ipad, I do have to fidget to find a comfort zone with minimal glare. But conversely, i prefer reading on the fire at night as opposed to using the light on the kindle e-ink covers.

the amazon store is not anywhere nearly as robust as the android store but if you have another android device which i don't, there does seem to be easy enuf methods to transfer those apps to your fire that don't involve much work. there are other stores if you dont have another android device that can assist in filling some amazon store holes as well but ultimately, the best of the best apps are on the android store and more often then not, only the android store.

the fire does have limited video support but there are apps that can be grabbed, some from the amazon store that will add more codec support.

as far as having on your fire what you have had on your kindles, most if not all should come thru. there are some hiccups with documents but like adding non amazon apps to your fire, it's not too much of a issue to get them on it. I was able to have every single kindle ebook i own transfer over to the fire. The only issue I encountered wasn't any fault of the fire, some books have a fairly low limit of devices they can be installed to. In out family, we have kindle installed on a fair amount of devices so I hit that limit with a few books. that took some getting around.

One of the coolest parts about buying the fire from amazon directly was when I got the fire, whatever amazon content could be on the fire, was already there. They'll do that for you.
ssahnan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 10:20 PM   #4
sian
Addict
sian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Device: kindle oasis ( 2018) kindle Fire hd 10 ( 2017)
i seem to remember tts is now available did i dream it
sian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 11:24 PM   #5
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
My Fire HD has tts
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-07-2013, 12:34 PM   #6
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Tab A 10.1(2019), Pixel 6a.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
My Fire HD has tts
Sounds like a disease!
GlenBarrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 12:44 PM   #7
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
It is! Called low vision!

I didn't realize this was an old thread.... perhaps the org Fire doesn't have tts... text to speak. Wonder if the org poster got his fire.
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 09:19 PM   #8
sian
Addict
sian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Device: kindle oasis ( 2018) kindle Fire hd 10 ( 2017)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
It is! Called low vision!

I didn't realize this was an old thread.... perhaps the org Fire doesn't have tts... text to speak. Wonder if the org poster got his fire.
got my kindle hd and i love it it has tts and as a female reader who has problems with reading some days i love my new kindle's human sounding voice .

my partner is visual impaired so it is important to find a human sounding tts ebook reader

we both have a kindle (well 2) we have a kindle 2 and a kindle keyboard
one of our kindle 2's is usa only . but they both talk and thats why we stay with kindle . we tried others but the speech is annoying on them ( pro 5 ) and apple ibook wasn't able to read so we now just by kindle!

we did try the kindle app but the tts run off voice over and other options
when these are turned on the way navigation works is changed which doesn't help as when u cant see you need things to be the way you had then when you had vision

so now we have the kindle fire and its so nice as there no relearning how to swipe down with 3 figures and the device doesn't keep telling you to swiped down either
sian is offline   Reply With Quote