Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 01-06-2019, 02:12 PM   #1
hugbe
hugbe began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Dictionary of foreign words

Hi folks,
in my opinion the findings in the dictionaries installed in my Kobo Aura One are very poor. This is at least to say for what I get in German. I do not mean translations from one language to another - e.g. En-Ge - I mean findings related to the meaning of words one does not know (you put your finger on the unknown word and the Kobo software is searching in the installed pre-selected dictionary whether there is an explanation for the highlighted word. For most of the words to which I would like to find a direct explanation the reader does not provide an explanation. I don't want to go the path via google or wikipedia because of the need to be online which is not provided all the time and - by the way - it is lasting much longer compared to direct acces to an on-board-dictionary.
Does somebody know a dictionary being compatible to the format the Kobo needs to have. The dictionary should support German/German - or - second priority English/English.
I do have a digital dictionary on-board which is Wahrig Wörterbuch - but this is in the pdf format.
I would be happy when somebody might provide me with a download link for a powerful dictionary - maybe direct to my email account hugbe@gmx.de.
Thanks
hugbe
hugbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 02:46 PM   #2
ps67
Guru
ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Elipsa, Pocketbook Color PB633, Inkpad Color
This is a link in this forum:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=196931

Probably You will need to apply a patch (to avoid the new dictionary will be cancelled every synchronization), or another patch (if You want add dictionary, not only substitute it with a new one) In this forum there are many resources, look around, and You will find all the relevant informations.

Last edited by ps67; 01-06-2019 at 02:54 PM.
ps67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-07-2019, 05:42 AM   #3
hugbe
hugbe began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Thank you ps67,
the dictionary provided under
"German : http://download.kobobooks.com/ereade...icthtml-de.zip"
has got a file size of 7,145 MB. This is actually more or less the same to what the one installed in the Kobo Aura One has got. So I expect to find not a better performance regarding findings.
Have you got another recommendation for me. Do you know whether there is a dictionary in a quality of Brockhaus encyclopedia or the like? Duden also would be great.
I am looking forward to further comments. Thank you.
BR
hugbe
hugbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 04:51 PM   #4
ps67
Guru
ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Elipsa, Pocketbook Color PB633, Inkpad Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by hugbe View Post
Thank you ps67,
the dictionary provided under
"German : http://download.kobobooks.com/ereade...icthtml-de.zip"
has got a file size of 7,145 MB. This is actually more or less the same to what the one installed in the Kobo Aura One has got. So I expect to find not a better performance regarding findings.
Have you got another recommendation for me. Do you know whether there is a dictionary in a quality of Brockhaus encyclopedia or the like? Duden also would be great.
I am looking forward to further comments. Thank you.
BR
hugbe
Well, I indicated that thread because the Italian and English-Italian dictionaries are much better (and greater) than the useless embedded ones. If German dictionaries are not good as well You can try in the custom dictionary thread here:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=232883

I don't remember if there is a German or English-German dictionary, if not I don't know how to find them. And if You find a public domain dictionary You will have to convert in Kobo format (I am not able to convert it, when I tried it did not work, and I abandoned trials because I don't not need conversions).
ps67 is offline   Reply With Quote