Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-09-2011, 12:28 PM   #1
mobichuck
mobichuck began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Kindle for PC app: open book to location?

If you go to your Kindle Highlights Page at Amazon (https://kindle.amazon.com/your_highlights, you'll have to sign in), you'll see that the highlights have a "Read more at location X" link. This tries to shell to the following URL:

kindle://book?action=open&asin=***ASIN***&location=xxxx

This actually launches the following command:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Amazon\Kindle\Kindle.exe" "//book?action=open&asin=***ASIN***&location=xxxx"

(Where ***ASIN*** and xxxx are replaced with a valid Amazon ASIN and location, respectively).

This doesn't actually work, sadly: the Kindle for PC app is launched, but the book is not opened at all (much less to the specified location)).

Has this ever worked? Is this something that recently broke? Does anybody know where I can find docs for the available switches? The normal DOS "help" switches don't seem to work (/help, --help, /?, /h, etc) and I can't find *anything* on Teh Intarwebs. I'd like to get this working, but can't find much info on this at all.

Any help out there?
mobichuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 12:47 PM   #2
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Has this ever worked? Is this something that recently broke? Does anybody know where I can find docs for the available switches? The normal DOS "help" switches don't seem to work (/help, --help, /?, /h, etc) and I can't find *anything* on Teh Intarwebs. I'd like to get this working, but can't find much info on this at all.
It still works fine for me. Can't say it's something I ever use, but....

Is it possible that you've denied your browser the ability to open the application sometime in the past. I think you're given a choice after purchasing a book whether to open K4PC. Perhaps there's a checkbox to say don't ask me again? Just guessing here.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 09-09-2011 at 12:54 PM.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-19-2011, 02:10 PM   #3
mobichuck
mobichuck began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Hm... this appears to possibly be a Chrome issue; Firefox works for me, at least for books purchased from Amazon.
mobichuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 02:26 PM   #4
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Here's something kooky: it works for me on Chrome... but not on all of my books that have highlights. No rhyme or reason that I can see.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote