Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 11-19-2019, 04:59 PM   #1
totgeboren
totgeboren began at the beginning.

Device: Asus Zenpad
No covers shown?

Hi, I have been using Calibre for quite some time, both for my Kindle and my Asus Zenpad.

Everything has been working rather well, except now.

I tried to connect to the content server like I usually do, but now my pad can't find it. Neither can I find it as a wireless device. Even with all firewalls down, ( the ip-adresses and ports match, and it also worked like two months ago), CC Demo on the pad just tells me it can't find anything.

After giving up, I plugged the pad into my PC and transferred the files through Calibre by wire.
It tells me the transfer worked fine, yay. If I look in the file explorer, I can see that I have a folder named eBooks, which now contain the files I transferred.

But when I open Calibre on the pad to view the files, the library is empty. (I tried uninstalling, restarting, and reinstalling, but the same thing happens.) Can't connect, can't view files, can't even add the local files on the pad to the library.

I use CC Demo on the pad, but as there is zero functionally now, I have to ask if support has been dropped or something?

If not, is there something I need to do now to make the software on the pad be able to see the files that are transferred to it? I kinda liked that when you had Calibre on the PC and the Pad, you could transfer and get a library created in the app automatically.

Best Regards
/Per Holmgren
totgeboren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 06:03 PM   #2
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Aura H2O, Aura HD, Nexus 7 HD, iPad Air, Tolino epos
I'm going to take a chance and assume you are using calibre on a Windows/OSX/Linux computer and Calibre Companion on your Asus ZenPad (an Android device, as far as I know, so no calibre).

Are your computer and the ZenPad on the same network? Can you connect to the calibre content server on your computer using a browser on the computer itself using the IP address and port shown when you start the content server? If so, can you connect to the content server using Chrome/whatever browser on your ZenPad?

Since you mentioned CC Demo, I seem to remember the demo version of CC only allows 20 books on your device.

Depending on the results of your tests, you might consider taking this discussion to the Calibre Companion thread.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-19-2019, 08:29 PM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4NT, Galaxy Tab A, Kobo Aura2
I can move this thread. Just ask.

I suspect A WiFi to WiFi connection is being used. Best to avoid by making the server a wired connection,.
BUT the issue may be the 2 devices may be on different (speed) bands.
The other may be a update on your router lost the Allow PEER connections.
Try and PING the IP of the other end. that might prove the PC can see the tablet
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 02:30 PM   #4
totgeboren

Thanks to both of you for your reply!

It is a windows-to-android solution I'm using, and I did some more error checking now that I know CC Demo "should" function as normal.

Installing CC on my android phone and entering the same IP and Port as what I have on the pad, I can connect to the content server through my local wifi with no issues.

As I have also reinstalled CC on my pad, and it doesn't work anyway, I therefor I know that the problem is not with the software per se, but likely with the pad.

The annoying thing is that I can surf as usual on the pad, so wifi seems to work.
On both my phone and pad it has storage permissions (change/erase, and read).

After a bunch of error checking, I noticed that the pad can find all devices on the network, except the main PC, so I guess I've located the problem.

And it's not CC!

Again, thanks for the help.
Old 11-20-2019, 02:39 PM   #5
totgeboren

(As I can't edit my reply, I'll double-post).

Still, the above explanation doesn't explain why the pad can't create a library, even when transferring files over wire.
Advert
Old 11-20-2019, 05:13 PM   #6
totgeboren

Sooo... now I feel silly.
I forgot the first lesson of error checking.

"Have you tried turning the device on and off again?"

I did not do that with the windows PC, and it was the windows PC that seems to have refused giving access to the pad (though it didn't have any problems with the phone).

Windows works in mysterious ways I guess, but problem solved.

Again, that's for the quick feedback, it put me on the right track.