Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 11-18-2019, 07:27 PM   #1
abrogard
abrogard began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Calibre Copies? Doesn't Delete Original?

If i get calibre to import all the books it finds on a drive then it will copy all of those books into its own directories, right?

Then if I delete a book from calibre it will not delete the 'original' still there on the disk, right?
abrogard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 08:20 PM   #2
retiredbiker
Zealot
retiredbiker is faster than slow light.retiredbiker is faster than slow light.retiredbiker is faster than slow light.retiredbiker is faster than slow light.retiredbiker is faster than slow light.retiredbiker is faster than slow light.retiredbiker is faster than slow light.retiredbiker is faster than slow light.retiredbiker is faster than slow light.retiredbiker is faster than slow light.retiredbiker is faster than slow light.

Device: Kindle KB, Oasis, Ubuntu, Jutoh,Kobo Forma
Correct. Calibre makes a copy of the original in its own directory structure. You can add and delete within Calibre without affecting the original files. But NOTE: the Calibre directory structure is an integral part of Calibre's database. Don't touch a Calibre library with your file manager, or you will break it.
retiredbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-18-2019, 10:24 PM   #3
abrogard

Okay, thank you for that.

But, I find, just tried it, those copies are perfectly normal valid copies and can be copied out of Calibre's folders, pasted somewhere else, read, edited, whatever, just as normal.

It's all good.

Old 11-19-2019, 10:02 AM   #4
deback
Book E d i t o r
deback knows the complete value of PI to the enddeback knows the complete value of PI to the enddeback knows the complete value of PI to the enddeback knows the complete value of PI to the enddeback knows the complete value of PI to the enddeback knows the complete value of PI to the enddeback knows the complete value of PI to the enddeback knows the complete value of PI to the enddeback knows the complete value of PI to the enddeback knows the complete value of PI to the enddeback knows the complete value of PI to the end

Device: Laptop
Quote:
But, I find, just tried it, those copies are perfectly normal valid copies and can be copied out of Calibre's folders, pasted somewhere else, read, edited, whatever, just as normal.
That's true. I copy files from Calibre's folder all the time and copy them into my authors' folders, since I don't use Calibre to read books.
deback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 10:54 AM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4NT, Galaxy Tab A, Kobo Aura2
Quote:
Originally Posted by deback View Post
That's true. I copy files from Calibre's folder all the time and copy them into my authors' folders, since I don't use Calibre to read books.
You don't use Calibre as a Librarian.

A Librarian manages books. Stores, Sort/searches (catalogs), retrieves, converts and yes, displays (and Preferences: Behavior: gives you the choice to NOT use the internal viewer for a format).
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-19-2019, 12:48 PM   #6
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by abrogard View Post
Copying books out of calibre's folders won't ensure the metadata changes you made go with the book. Metadata changes are saved in the calibre database until you manually embed the data in a book using the polish (epub & azw3 only) or embed metadata features. Metadata is also embedded in the book when you convert a book or use the save to disk feature. IIRC the metadata is embedded when emailed or opened via the content server too.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 02:28 PM   #7
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage, K3, PPW 2 3, HDX, KBasic 5, 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
Please note: on PDFs, I've had a LINK to the book, but not a copy. This sort of confused me. The only PDfs I have are cookbooks and craftbooks.
Tarana is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 05:33 PM   #8
abrogard

Quote:
Please note: on PDFs, I've had a LINK to the book, but not a copy. This sort of confused me. The only PDfs I have are cookbooks and craftbooks.
That confuses me. What does it mean? That calibre has NOT copied your pdf's? It seems to copy mine alright unless it's fooling me with a sophisticated trick.

They have a file size in the Calibre listing.

If I click and copy that listing I can paste it elsewhere and it behaves exactly like a pdf.

I misunderstand what you're saying?