Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 10-28-2019, 06:48 AM   #1
Kaboba
Kaboba began at the beginning.

Device: bookeen cybook
Cheap with frontlight

Hi,
My old cybook from 2012 just gave up, and im a student and super poor. I am looking for a new ereader with frontlight, so my room mate wont be disturbed, preferaby really cheap because im living off student loans. Any ideas?

Thanks!
Kaboba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 09:18 AM   #2
pdurrant
Jolly Christmouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
A second-hand Kindle Paperwhite? (But do make sure you get one that's (a) not blocked by Amazon and (b) with no scratches on the screen.)
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-28-2019, 09:38 AM   #3
Tony1988
Guru
Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaboba View Post
Hi,
My old cybook from 2012 just gave up, and im a student and super poor. I am looking for a new ereader with frontlight, so my room mate wont be disturbed, preferaby really cheap because im living off student loans. Any ideas?

Thanks!

The current base Kindle fits the bill. Extremely cheap and has a front light now. 89.99 (will probably be on sale for the holiday season) and if you want a Paperwhite it's $129.99. I wouldn't go for an old refurbished one.

Last edited by Tony1988; 10-28-2019 at 09:41 AM.
Tony1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 09:45 AM   #4
pdurrant
Jolly Christmouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
It's a good point about sales. It's probable that there'll be a good offer on Black Friday if you can wait a month.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 10:25 AM   #5
Kaboba

I am based in Sweden. Amazon doesn't ship kindles directly to Sweden unfortunately. But it might be a good idea to wait for black friday, something should turn up on sale even here in Sweden.
Advert
Old 10-28-2019, 11:15 AM   #6
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
If low price is your main priority you might want to look for a cheap used device. Plenty of people on mobileread have bought used ereaders from ebay or other online stores.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 11:19 AM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Sony PRS-650, Sony PRS-T1, nook STR, iPad 4, iPhone 5
A Kobo Reader would do you best because you already have ePub eBooks. And if you have a local library that supports Overdrive, you can borrow eBooks to use with a Kobo. You cannot do that with a Kindle in Sweden.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 11:20 AM   #8
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
If you want Overdrive access, Tolinos also have that.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 11:27 AM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Sony PRS-650, Sony PRS-T1, nook STR, iPad 4, iPhone 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4691mls View Post
But from what I've read, the Tolino firmware is meh and the reading software is poor.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 02:38 PM   #10
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
Can the Walmart aura be shipped to you?
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 04:40 PM   #11
patrik
Evangelist
patrik can program the VCR without an owner's manual.patrik can program the VCR without an owner's manual.patrik can program the VCR without an owner's manual.patrik can program the VCR without an owner's manual.patrik can program the VCR without an owner's manual.patrik can program the VCR without an owner's manual.patrik can program the VCR without an owner's manual.patrik can program the VCR without an owner's manual.patrik can program the VCR without an owner's manual.patrik can program the VCR without an owner's manual.patrik can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4691mls View Post
Tolinos are strangely expensive in Sweden.

It's pretty rare finding used e-readers, but every now and then some will pop up (usually in fb-groups, blocket is typically the best place to buy most used stuff in Sweden, but not e-readers, IMO).
patrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 05:14 PM   #12
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nooks, Kindles, Sonys, Kobos, Tolinos and others.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
But from what I've read, the Tolino firmware is meh and the reading software is poor.
Not "feature rich" but not "meh" either. Good screens and the ability to install custom fonts are the two most important features to me. Most of my reading is now done on a Tolino. That's partly because I use Overdrive a lot and I can borrow directly with the Tolino — which is important to me because I use Linux and don't have ADE installed. I can also buy from stores "not Amazon" directly — don't necessarily hate Amazon, I just don't want them to have all my business. (Also, good used Tolinos sell cheaply in the U.S. because no one seems to know about them here.)

Unfortunately the OP is located in Sweden and, apparently, Tolinos have a higher value there.

EDIT: Just realized that sentence could be taken wrong. It's not unfortunate that the OP is from Sweden, what I meant is that it's unfortunate that good, used Tolinos are not cheap there.

Last edited by rcentros; 10-28-2019 at 05:18 PM.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 04:26 AM   #13
Kaboba

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrik View Post
Tolinos are strangely expensive in Sweden.

It's pretty rare finding used e-readers, but every now and then some will pop up (usually in fb-groups, blocket is typically the best place to buy most used stuff in Sweden, but not e-readers, IMO).
Thanks for your insights in the Swedish market, will check!
Old 10-29-2019, 08:49 PM   #14
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
My suggestion is to pay close attention to the suggestions you get in here about the things to look for and the things to avoid. There's much wisdom here.

My other suggestion is to completely ignore suggestions about brand preferences. There's much prejudice here. And get a Kindle.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 10:27 PM   #15
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nooks, Kindles, Sonys, Kobos, Tolinos and others.
Quote:
Originally Posted by barryem View Post
My other suggestion is to completely ignore suggestions about brand preferences. There's much prejudice here. And get a Kindle.
I'm not certain, but I'm guessing the OP wants to borrow eBooks from public libraries and the Kindle would be worthless for that use in Sweden.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote