Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 10-24-2019, 06:42 PM   #16
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nooks, Kindles, Sonys, Kobos, Tolinos and others.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Accordingto what I've read on MR, Tolino uses Android and the reading software is poor. The firmware on Kobo is much better and the reading software works no problem.
Good for downloading books from Overdrive (no need for ADE or a computer) and also for buying DRM ePub books directly (without the need for ADE or a computer) from bookstores like Feedbooks, eBooks.com, and others (including Kobo).

But, again, you're correct about very good Kobo support available on MR.
rcentros is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 06:47 PM   #17
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
I've had a Kobo Clara for a few months and recently bought a used older Tolino Shine 2 (Rcentros told me about an ebay store called goodystore that sells older Tolinos cheap - like around $30)

I assume the newer Tolinos have more options than the used one I got so I can't compare all the features.

Since it sounds like Overdrive is an important feature for you, here's the difference between Kobo and Tolino:

If you use the Kobo itself to search Overdrive you should find only books that are available on Kobo and be able to borrow them directly on the reader without any problems.

If you like browsing for library books on your PC or smartphone and then obtaining them on your reader, you may occasionally run into a book that can't be synced to the Kobo. This happens if the library and the Kobo store don't have the exact same edition. (If a book you checked out via your computer can't be synced on the Kobo, you can still get the book onto your Kobo by sideloading from your PC via USB.)

Using the library on my Tolino is like using it on a PC except it is slower. It has access to the full Overdrive listings, including your holds, wish list, and loans and you can download your loaned books directly onto the Tolino. If getting Overdrive books easily when you are not near your computer is your number one priority then Tolino would be good for that.

Personally, even though my newer Kobo has a nicer screen and more options than my older Tolino I've been using the Tolino when I'm away from my home PC and expect I might want to get a new library book.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-25-2019, 02:20 AM   #18
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nooks, Kindles, Sonys, Kobos, Tolinos and others.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4691mls View Post
I assume the newer Tolinos have more options than the used one I got so I can't compare all the features.
I downloaded firmware 13.1.0 (which is only officially supported on the new Tolinos — Page 2, Vision 5 and Epos 2) and installed it on my Page to test it. I don't know if the Page will eventually get this software or not, but the beta isn't stable on it yet. At any rate, the only new feature I can see is that it has a beta feature to reverse the screen — which I hope will be offered to all the Tolinos currently on 12.2.0.

I've attached a couple lousy pictures.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20191024_214249.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	1.31 MB
ID:	174515   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20191024_213301.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	1.43 MB
ID:	174516  
rcentros is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 03:59 AM   #19
nola2london
nola2london began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4691mls View Post
If you like browsing for library books on your PC or smartphone and then obtaining them on your reader, you may occasionally run into a book that can't be synced to the Kobo. This happens if the library and the Kobo store don't have the exact same edition. (If a book you checked out via your computer can't be synced on the Kobo, you can still get the book onto your Kobo by sideloading from your PC via USB.)
This is exactly what my preferred way is. I am not always at a computer and with my Kindle I am able to find a book on my smartphone and send it to my Kindle.

Thank you for the explanation ! I think I will first post my question at the Pocketbook page and if that doesn't work try the Tolino !
nola2london is offline   Reply With Quote