Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 09-29-2019, 06:25 PM   #1
2scre
Zealot
2scre began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone
iBooks compared to Kindle has too much space on sides

On some 3rd party app you can control the space on the sides but on iBooks that's not possible, so you are stuck with too much blank space on the sides.

Is there no way to fix it? I like the fonts available on iBooks though. Is there a way to get more fonts?
2scre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 10:16 AM   #2
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy
OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, iPhone 13 Pro Max, iPad mini 6, iPad Air 2020, Alexa Devices
iBooks is now called Books. Apple changed that a while back.

The "space" is called "margins" and I don't think Apple gave it the option to change the size of margins. The iOS Kindle app has a limited set of options for margins, but nothing compared to 3rd party apps.

I have no clue about adding fonts. Books was never pushed by Apple, so they never gave it many features it needs to have for customization. I rarely use it myself, except to read PDFs on occasion.

Last edited by OtinG; 09-30-2019 at 10:19 AM.
OtinG is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-30-2019, 12:12 PM   #3
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
I would tend to say that Apple's basic design approach is very much a minimalist approach oriented towards the casual reader, someone who might read 10-20 or less books a year. Such readers generally aren't interested in lots of bells and whistles.

In general, if you are real picky about things like margins, then you would be better off using a 3rd party app that is oriented towards customization.

Apple does have a way to buy fonts in iOS 13 and add them to your iDevice.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 12:26 PM   #4
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
You can change fonts in the Books app...there are 9 to choose from (on my iPad mini). I agree that the Kindle and Books apps are low on customization options compared to the third party apps.

I like the look of the Books app the best...but read in FBReader for most epub due to the extra configuration ability. I even liked it when the iBooks app tried to look like a book, complete with curled paged turning. Sure it was a gimmick, but I liked it.

Unfortunately, the DRM on Apple's books hasn't been broken yet. So, other than a few books, I don't buy or read Apple books. I buy Kindle books, remove DRM, then read via FBReader.
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 12:57 PM   #5
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
I used the Books app on my iPhone and iPad mini before Amazon added the scrolling option in the Kindle app. Specifically for the Bible, being able to scroll is a nice feature, especially on a smaller screen.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-30-2019, 01:03 PM   #6
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deskisamess View Post
I used the Books app on my iPhone and iPad mini before Amazon added the scrolling option in the Kindle app. Specifically for the Bible, being able to scroll is a nice feature, especially on a smaller screen.
For bible, I use Olive Tree bible app. I have purchased (and downloaded for free) lots of versions of the bible, dictionaries, maps, commentaries. All are sync'd with the passage of scripture I'm looking at. Very nice. Has option to scroll if you prefer
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote