Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 10-31-2019, 12:03 PM   #376
droopy
Addict
droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma. Laptop is Linux Mint
Have a different brightness icon when light is off

On the Kobo Forma, the brightness icon is the same whatever the brightness level, whether 0%, 1%... 5%... 50%... 100%. It's an icon of a sun.

I'd like to request the Kobo patch team to either:
A) replace the sun icon with a different icon when the light is completely off (for example, a circle that is filled with black)
or
B) create something beside the sun icon to indicate the light is completely off (for example,the word "0% light")

Rationale for this request: occasionally, when I'm in a completely dark room, I turn on the brightness from 0% to 1%. The next day, in the daytime, I read on my Kobo Forma forgetting that the brightness is on, and wading battery because I don't need the light at all in the daytime.
droopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 07:26 AM   #377
jkelol111
n00b
jkelol111 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura
I'm not sure if this has been requested before but...

...I want to have a patch where the highlighting features can be disabled. And maybe a always refresh screen patch? My Aura (I think others too) does not fully refresh the screen when it changes from one screen to another (I'm not talking about the refresh inside the book view, that can already be adjusted), leaving ghost artifacts everywhere. I'd like to have the screen refresh every time something major on the screen changes (much like the refresh behavior on Kindle, or latter Kobo models), for instance when a big dialog dismisses I want the screen to do a full refresh to get rid of the "ghost" dialog.

Again hats off to kobopatch devs, your patches really are fixing so many small niggles I have with my Kobo. Thanks a bunch
jkelol111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-13-2019, 09:44 AM   #378
John F
Wizard
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
How about a patch that changes menu button assignments? I would like the book stats option available on the book menu.

Full disclosure: I am not on the current firmware version.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 11:35 AM   #379
anacreon
Guru
anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara, Forma, Libra
I'd like to be able to drop some lines from the homepage menu - in my case Dropbox, Kobo shop, recommended and wishlist (I'm translating from the French).
anacreon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 04:56 AM   #380
BenChen
EPUB Metadata ******
BenChen is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.BenChen is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.BenChen is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.BenChen is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.BenChen is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.BenChen is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.BenChen is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.BenChen is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.BenChen is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.BenChen is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.BenChen is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Resize info panel

I had a custom nickel.yaml patch that resized the info panel (the one that appears when the device goes into standby). But the 4.18.13737 update appears to have removed all the CSS lines that the patch used.

Did Kobo do something to hide the CSS? Or did it get moved?

My nickel.yaml patch (which worked fine with 4.15.12920) looks like this:
Code:
Resize info panel:
  - Enabled: yes
  - Description: |
      Custom patch to change the width of the info panel.
      N.B: Not suitable for Japanese/Chinese locale users
  - FindZlib: "#infoWidget"
  - ReplaceZlibGroup:
      Replacements:
        - {Find: "#batteryStatus[localeName=\"ja\"] {\n  font-family: Sans-SerifJP, sans-serif;\n  font-style: normal;\n}\n#batteryStatus[localeName=\"zh\"] {\n  font-family: Sans-SerifZH-Traditional, sans-serif;\n  font-style: normal;\n}\n#batteryStatus[localeName=\"zh-TW\"] {\n  font-family: Sans-SerifZH-Traditional, sans-serif;\n  font-style: normal;\n}\n", Replace: "\n"}
        - {Find: "max-width: 470px;", Replace: "max-width: 235px;"} # Dragon
        - {Find: "min-width: 470px;", Replace: "min-width: 235px;"} # Dragon
        - {Find: "qproperty-topMargin: 22px;", Replace: "qproperty-topMargin: 11px;"} # Dragon
        - {Find: "qproperty-bottomMargin: 22px;", Replace: "qproperty-bottomMargin: 11px;"} # Dragon
        - {Find: "qproperty-rightMargin: 22px;", Replace: "qproperty-rightMargin: 11px;"} # Dragon
        - {Find: "qproperty-leftMargin: 44px;", Replace: "qproperty-leftMargin: 22px;"} # Dragon
        - {Find: "max-width: 300px;", Replace: "max-width: 150px;"} # Trilogy
        - {Find: "min-width: 300px;", Replace: "min-width: 150px;"} # Trilogy
        - {Find: "qproperty-topMargin: 12px;", Replace: "qproperty-topMargin: 6px;"} # Trilogy
        - {Find: "qproperty-bottomMargin: 12px;", Replace: "qproperty-bottomMargin: 6px;"} # Trilogy
        - {Find: "qproperty-rightMargin: 12px;", Replace: "qproperty-rightMargin: 6px;"} # Trilogy
        - {Find: "qproperty-leftMargin: 24px;", Replace: "qproperty-leftMargin: 12px;"} # Trilogy
        - {Find: "max-width: 380px;", Replace: "max-width: 190px;"} # Phoenix
        - {Find: "min-width: 380px;", Replace: "min-width: 190px;"} # Phoenix
        - {Find: "qproperty-topMargin: 16px;", Replace: "qproperty-topMargin: 8px;"} # Phoenix
        - {Find: "qproperty-bottomMargin: 16px;", Replace: "qproperty-bottomMargin: 8px;"} # Phoenix
        - {Find: "qproperty-rightMargin: 16px;", Replace: "qproperty-rightMargin: 8px;"} # Phoenix
        - {Find: "qproperty-leftMargin: 32px;", Replace: "qproperty-leftMargin: 16px;"} # Phoenix
        - {Find: "max-width: 611px;", Replace: "max-width: 305px;"} # Daylight
        - {Find: "min-width: 611px;", Replace: "min-width: 305px;"} # Daylight
        - {Find: "qproperty-topMargin: 28px;", Replace: "qproperty-topMargin: 14px;"} # Daylight
        - {Find: "qproperty-bottomMargin: 28px;", Replace: "qproperty-bottomMargin: 14px;"} # Daylight
        - {Find: "qproperty-rightMargin: 28px;", Replace: "qproperty-rightMargin: 14px;"} # Daylight
        - {Find: "qproperty-leftMargin: 56px;", Replace: "qproperty-leftMargin: 28px;"} # Daylight
Note that I was only using the Dragon lines with my GloHD.

Can anyone help? Thanks in advance!

Sincerely,
Ben.
BenChen is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-16-2019, 09:29 AM   #381
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350, Kobo: Aura6", H2O, GloHD, KA1, ClaraHD, Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenChen View Post
I had a custom nickel.yaml patch that resized the info panel (the one that appears when the device goes into standby). But the 4.18.13737 update appears to have removed all the CSS lines that the patch used.

Did Kobo do something to hide the CSS? Or did it get moved?
<snip>
Note that I was only using the Dragon lines with my GloHD.

Can anyone help? Thanks in advance!
I think the only thing stopping your custom patch working in 4.18.13737 is the first Find/Replace, i.e. the line beginning:
Code:
- {Find: "#batteryStatus[localeName=\"ja\"]
Kobo have added an extra Chinese locale (zh-HK) so this line is no longer correct. However, based on what you are actually changing in this patch I don't think you need this line at all, so just delete it. It's only there to free up some space if the patch needs extra code to be added. The changes you've posted don't need any extra.

In case you're interested ...

If you only need the Dragon settings I think your custom patch could be much simplified to the following and should work for all these models: AuraHD, H2O, H2Ov2, GloHD, ClaraHD.

Spoiler:
Code:
Resize info panel:
  - ReplaceZlibGroup:
      Replacements:
          # #infoWidget reduce width
        - {Find: "width: 470px;", Replace: "width: 235px;"}  #Dragon
          # #infoWidget, #infoFrame: reduce top/bottom/right margins
        - {Find: "Margin: 22px;", Replace: "Margin: 11px;"}  #Dragon
          # #infoFrame: reduce left margin
        - {Find: "leftMargin: 44px;", Replace: "leftMargin: 22px;"}  #Dragon
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 12:05 PM   #382
adamslast
adamslast knows the complete value of PI to the endadamslast knows the complete value of PI to the endadamslast knows the complete value of PI to the endadamslast knows the complete value of PI to the endadamslast knows the complete value of PI to the endadamslast knows the complete value of PI to the endadamslast knows the complete value of PI to the endadamslast knows the complete value of PI to the endadamslast knows the complete value of PI to the endadamslast knows the complete value of PI to the endadamslast knows the complete value of PI to the end

Device: Kobo Aura 6", Kobo Aura One
Before 4.18.13737 update, I could have just book name at header and page numbers at footer. But, after update I can not have them so. I must choose only page numbers or with book name and chapter name together. Is it possible a patch to return previous case before update?
adamslast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 12:45 PM   #383
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350, Kobo: Aura6", H2O, GloHD, KA1, ClaraHD, Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamslast View Post
Before 4.18.13737 update, I could have just book name at header and page numbers at footer. But, after update I can not have them so. I must choose only page numbers or with book name and chapter name together. Is it possible a patch to return previous case before update?
You'll need to wait for geek1011 for a definitive answer, but my understanding is that you can't currently go back to 'the old way' because the same firmware code is handling both header & footer simultaneously.

You can remove the left-half (chapter title & book title) of both header/footer leaving just the right-half (chapter or book progress) with the new patch "Remove title from reading header/footer".

The closest you can get is to turn off the footer completely and rely on tapping the page to bring up the new scrubber widget which also shows book progress 'Page x of y'
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 02:47 PM   #384
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Aura Edition 2 v1, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
You'll need to wait for geek1011 for a definitive answer, but my understanding is that you can't currently go back to 'the old way' because the same firmware code is handling both header & footer simultaneously.
I concluded that it wasn't worth the time to do (it's possible though).

Quote:
Originally Posted by anacreon View Post
I'd like to be able to drop some lines from the homepage menu - in my case Dropbox, Kobo shop, recommended and wishlist (I'm translating from the French).
Done. See the patch thread.
geek1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 02:49 PM   #385
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by geek1011 View Post
Patches v55 have been released

This release includes quite a few new patches for 4.18.13737:
  • Change ComfortLight settings (thanks to jackie_w for testing and debugging!)
    This patch allows you to change when the bedtime transition starts, when it goes back to blue (and how long it takes), and allows you to set a bedtime earlier than 9PM with many more options for the time.
  • Change Browse Kobo home screen link target (2 variants)
    This patch changes what the Browse Kobo link on the home screen does. 2 variants (Pocket and Activity) are included in the patch zips, but more are possible.
  • Hide top-left menu items (6 variants)
    This patch allows you to selectively remove the Dropbox, Pocket, Store, Recommended, Wishlist, or Activity items from the top-left menu.
  • Allow USB storage even when device locked
    This patch is more intended for patch developers/testers (see the patch description), but it's also useful if you tend to forget your PIN. It allows you to connect to a computer even if the screen is locked. For some security by obscurity, this only works if you plug it in while sleeping (not at the PIN entry screen).
You can discuss these patches in the patch thread (so this thread doesn't get cluttered).
Old 11-16-2019, 06:07 PM   #386
BenChen
EPUB Metadata ******
BenChen is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.BenChen is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.BenChen is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.BenChen is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.BenChen is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.BenChen is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.BenChen is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.BenChen is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.BenChen is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.BenChen is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.BenChen is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
I think the only thing stopping your custom patch working in 4.18.13737 is the first Find/Replace, i.e. the line beginning:
Code:
- {Find: "#batteryStatus[localeName=\"ja\"]
Kobo have added an extra Chinese locale (zh-HK) so this line is no longer correct. However, based on what you are actually changing in this patch I don't think you need this line at all, so just delete it. It's only there to free up some space if the patch needs extra code to be added. The changes you've posted don't need any extra.

In case you're interested ...

If you only need the Dragon settings I think your custom patch could be much simplified to the following and should work for all these models: AuraHD, H2O, H2Ov2, GloHD, ClaraHD.

Spoiler:
Code:
Resize info panel:
  - ReplaceZlibGroup:
      Replacements:
          # #infoWidget reduce width
        - {Find: "width: 470px;", Replace: "width: 235px;"}  #Dragon
          # #infoWidget, #infoFrame: reduce top/bottom/right margins
        - {Find: "Margin: 22px;", Replace: "Margin: 11px;"}  #Dragon
          # #infoFrame: reduce left margin
        - {Find: "leftMargin: 44px;", Replace: "leftMargin: 22px;"}  #Dragon
Thanks, jackie_w, that worked perfectly!
BenChen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 05:10 AM   #387
anacreon
Guru
anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
  • Change Browse Kobo home screen link target (2 variants)
    This patch changes what the Browse Kobo link on the home screen does. 2 variants (Pocket and Activity) are included in the patch zips, but more are possible.
  • Hide top-left menu items (6 variants)
    This patch allows you to selectively remove the Dropbox, Pocket, Store, Recommended, Wishlist, or Activity items from the top-left menu.
Thank you very much for both those patches. I chose Pocket for the screen link target, but now have two buttons at the bottom that link to Pocket. Would it be possible to have one for Activity (or Parameters) and one for Pocket, or if not just one button?

EDIT: Would using ## Change Browse Kobo home screen link target ### in libnickel plus the renaming above do that? I don't understand how to change it if so. Also I would I have to use the English terminology, or the French one? My reader language is French.

Last edited by anacreon; 11-17-2019 at 05:54 AM.
Old 11-17-2019, 11:44 AM   #388
geek1011
Wizard

Quote:
Thank you very much for both those patches. I chose Pocket for the screen link target, but now have two buttons at the bottom that link to Pocket. Would it be possible to have one for Activity (or Parameters) and one for Pocket, or if not just one button?

EDIT: Would using ## Change Browse Kobo home screen link target ### in libnickel plus the renaming above do that? I don't understand how to change it if so. Also I would I have to use the English terminology, or the French one? My reader language is French.
No, you are looking for the SmartLink patches, which allow you to change the button on the bottom-right side. The Browse Kobo link target patches are for the button on the bottom-left.
Old 11-18-2019, 12:10 PM   #389
anacreon
Guru

Quote:
No, you are looking for the SmartLink patches, which allow you to change the button on the bottom-right side. The Browse Kobo link target patches are for the button on the bottom-left.
So I played around some, and at the 2nd try I got what I wanted:
* Pocket as a smartlink to the right, with "My articles" above
* Activité as a kobo home screen link target to the left with presently "trouvez votre prochaine lecture" above, which is 31 characters, compared to the English "Find your next great read", 25 characters.
I give up on renaming that, since I don't know whether to insert a 25 or a 31 characters replacement, and you write there might be issues. I know it is just "my words" in any case.
I am pleased to have two useful buttons, thank you.

And I'm also pleased every time (and it is often) I use the home hamburger menu and have a shortened list to choose from.

Last edited by anacreon; 11-18-2019 at 12:14 PM.
Old 11-18-2019, 12:55 PM   #390
geek1011
Wizard

Quote:
So I played around some, and at the 2nd try I got what I wanted:
* Pocket as a smartlink to the right, with "My articles" above
* Activité as a kobo home screen link target to the left with presently "trouvez votre prochaine lecture" above, which is 31 characters, compared to the English "Find your next great read", 25 characters.
I give up on renaming that, since I don't know whether to insert a 25 or a 31 characters replacement, and you write there might be issues. I know it is just "my words" in any case.
I am pleased to have two useful buttons, thank you.

And I'm also pleased every time (and it is often) I use the home hamburger menu and have a shortened list to choose from.
You're welcome. Note that you might want to have pocket on the left and stats on the right, as having the stats on the right will also show the number of hours read.

Tags
kobopatch, patches, patching, request, requests