Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 05-13-2015, 12:28 PM   #1
wolfkin
Second Banana
wolfkin began at the beginning.

Device: none
Question epub viewer: How can i see page number

So I track my reading at Goodreads.com and when I go to update my status on a book they accept percentage or page number. I'm not sure what the position metric is in the upper left of the viewer it doesn't appear to be lines or paragraphs or pages. The best I can do is do the math I'm at 11.7/647 I'm 2% of the way into the book. Is there anyway to just get the viewer to display percentage or page?
wolfkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 12:59 PM   #2
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Percentage could be added, maybe.

Pge numbers are competely arbitrary and depend on format (pb/hb/eb), screen font and margin sizes (if eb) and any other factors, which make them incredibly useless.
I think calibre uses number of page turns at the current ebook-viewer settings. EDIT: Nope. Some other calculation, clearly.

Last edited by eschwartz; 05-13-2015 at 11:49 PM.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-13-2015, 03:04 PM   #3
phossler
Wizard
phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
If you hover over the xx.x / yyy, it displays the percentage

Is that what you were looking for?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	2476
Size:	82.2 KB
ID:	138272  
phossler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 09:53 PM   #4
wolfkin
Second Banana

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
Percentage could be added, maybe.

Pge numbers are competely arbitrary and depend on format (pb/hb/eb), screen font and margin sizes (if eb) and any other factors, which make them incredibly useless.
I think calibre uses number of page turns at the current ebook-viewer settings.

yeah I suspected that about page numbers. From what I know of the epub format I really doubted there was any specific demarcation of pages. So yeah percentage would be perfect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phossler View Post
If you hover over the xx.x / yyy, it displays the percentage

Is that what you were looking for?

Basically yes. Considering how useful that number is and how useless the other numbers are to me as a reader. I can't use them to turn to specific points or anything is there any way to change those number to percentage. Even if I wanted to scan for a section of the book I could better do it with the percentage vs the current numbers.
Old 05-13-2015, 09:59 PM   #5
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Well, I didn't realize the percentage was in the popup. So the only thing left I guess is a request to Kovid Goyal that there be an option to display that percentage instead of the page numbers.
Advert
Old 05-13-2015, 10:58 PM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Those numbers are needed, as they serve as a reference to go to the current location in the book. You can type them into the bar at the top and it will take you to the corresponding location.

As for displaying percentages, it's not really something I hvae felt the need for because:

1) It can be estimated roughly by looking at the scrollbar or using the numbers
2) The precise value is available via hovering over the numbers.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 11:47 PM   #7
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

I suspect most people don't want to bother doing the math in their heads, and it isn't uncommon for reader apps to offer a choice of how to display the progress.

On a purely cosmetic level, I think it would be nice to have the option to display percentage without mousing over to the progress indicator.
Old 05-14-2015, 10:31 AM   #8
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
IMHO The one thing that Amazon got right on my K4NT was the progress line:
A (darkened) completed bar with Pips at all chapter (TOC?) marks

My old PEz uses ADE blocks (current/of total)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 11:57 AM   #9
phossler
Wizard
phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
If you turn on Reference Mode, there's a unique number that seems to be based on the File number dot Paragraph Number

Also the Goto will take you to that paragraph (12.220 for example)

However there doesn't seem to be any collelation between the pseudo-page numbers and the reference number

Still, might be an option
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	1146
Size:	181.6 KB
ID:	138308  
phossler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 05:34 AM   #10
duns
Connoisseur
duns began at the beginning.

Device: PocketBook
Quote:
Originally Posted by phossler View Post
If you turn on Reference Mode, there's a unique number that seems to be based on the File number dot Paragraph Number

Also the Goto will take you to that paragraph (12.220 for example)

However there doesn't seem to be any collelation between the pseudo-page numbers and the reference number

Still, might be an option
For my intellectual work I need to get an exact reference for a quote: with calibre viewer on PC I can, as you say, but in an android smartphone/tablet how could I do?
duns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 08:42 AM   #11
wolfkin
Second Banana

Quote:
Originally Posted by duns View Post
For my intellectual work I need to get an exact reference for a quote: with calibre viewer on PC I can, as you say, but in an android smartphone/tablet how could I do?
What version of Calibre are you using? Because the epub viewer I was talking about in 2015 is not the one in calibre now.
Old 11-20-2019, 09:51 AM   #12
duns
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfkin View Post
What version of Calibre are you using? Because the epub viewer I was talking about in 2015 is not the one in calibre now.
The latest version of Calibre viewer is perfectly working on PC in reference mode: but my problem is find an android app, which can do the same.
Old 11-20-2019, 08:48 PM   #13
wolfkin
Second Banana

The only reference I can find to Reference Mode is this article about the old calibre viewer

The current viewer looks like this: https://i.imgur.com/4uMJTta.png

I do remember the reference mode you were talking about unfortunately none of my mobile ebook readers I've used do that so that's the end of my participation. Good luck though.
Old 11-22-2019, 02:48 AM   #14
duns
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfkin View Post
The only reference I can find to Reference Mode is this article about the old calibre viewer

The current viewer looks like this: https://i.imgur.com/4uMJTta.png

I do remember the reference mode you were talking about unfortunately none of my mobile ebook readers I've used do that so that's the end of my participation. Good luck though.
Yes, thank you: but I know that on PC it is possible (with Calibre): my problem is the mobile device, and as you say so far in mobile devices there is a lack of this feature. Unless someone finds some way to...
Old 11-22-2019, 03:35 AM   #15
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Use the calibre content server to read on mobile devices, with a browser. The viewer in the same as the calibre viewer and has all its features.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
goodreads, reading position, viewer