Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 06-29-2011, 03:15 PM   #1
niceboy
Enthusiast
niceboy began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
How do I stop a string search on my Kindle 3

Sometimes I type a letter while in Author or Title view at Home but for some reason (my use of collections with symbols in the names?) the machine instead begins an endless search through all the indexed content on the device. How can I terminate such a search... Back and Home don't seem to work so instead I must resort to several scary consecutive hard reboots. Thanks.
niceboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 12:24 AM   #2
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
I would first see if your Kindle is having a problem indexing your content, by searching for '.' (period). This should return no search results, but it will tell you if there are 'unindexed items'. Normally this queue gets processed and cleared out, but if one of your items is corrupt, or has a DRM key that doesn't correspond to your Kindle, indexing will get stuck, and suck CPU cycles, and searches will be unreasonably lengthy. The solution is to identify the item that it's stuck on and eliminate it (might require tethering to computer to do this).

A related issue is that if you do a lot of bookmarks, highlights and notes, 'my clippings.txt' can get very large. Each time you add another one of these things, Kindle has to re-index my clippings, and the time it takes to do that is proportional to the size of the file. Again, it takes CPU cycles, slows down everything else.

Finally it might be a problem with the index files themselves. There's simple a way to delete them and start over, but I don't know the details off hand. google 'kindle reindex' or something like that and it should show up in the search results.

I doubt it has to do with your Collection names, which are stored in files that are not indexed for search.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-30-2011, 07:38 PM   #3
niceboy
Enthusiast
niceboy began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
I am stilling having trouble that I think might be related to my collection names... if I am at the Home with sort by title typing a letter brings up a string search but if I page past the collections then the K3 offers to jump to titles of the letter but then fails to do so.

I have leading underscores on my collections... I wonderwhat symbols work the best for getting collections listed alphabetically on the first page of home?
niceboy is offline   Reply With Quote