Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 11-22-2019, 08:58 AM   #3841
Ryune
Enthusiast
Ryune began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-950, IPhone, Oasis 2
So I have a question, is there any way to modify the way the FFF button works? I don't think I have ever used it to update books. Can I set it so it just opens up the drop down menu instead of updating the selected books?
Ryune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 02:39 PM   #3842
Tanjamuse
Wizard
Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: none
I keep getting this error when downloading from AO3. As far as I can tell it's not link specific since it can download the story when I try on a different time.

Code:
HTTP Error 429: Too Many Requests
I've tried adding the time-out from FFnet but it doesn't seem to do anything.
Tanjamuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 03:17 PM   #3843
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer
JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryune View Post
So I have a question, is there any way to modify the way the FFF button works? I don't think I have ever used it to update books. Can I set it so it just opens up the drop down menu instead of updating the selected books?
There is an option to make it give you 'Download from URLs' all the time: under FFF's config GUI Options, uncheck 'Default to Update when books selected?'.

There isn't an option to always get the drop down. In theory, there could be; I'll look into it.

What I personally do is use a bunch of custom keyboard short cuts:
Click image for larger version

Name:	keys.png
Views:	16
Size:	85.8 KB
ID:	175066

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanjamuse View Post
I keep getting this error when downloading from AO3. As far as I can tell it's not link specific since it can download the story when I try on a different time.

Code:
HTTP Error 429: Too Many Requests
I've tried adding the time-out from FFnet but it doesn't seem to do anything.
Adding/increasing slow_down_sleep_time setting is about the only FFF change that might help. However, if you've already done enough downloads to trip a throttling mechanism, it might not help for a few minutes/hours/days/???

The other most likely option is a problem at AO3. A quick look at the front page of AO3 shows this as the second news item: Intermittent site slowness.

So I would suggest patience.

(Mostly) Unrelated: AO3 won the 2019 Hugo Award in the category of Best Related Work. Wow, congrats to AO3!
JimmXinu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 03:19 PM   #3844
Tanjamuse
Wizard
Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Thanks, I'll work with the patience

Thanks for a great plugin and quicky reply.
Tanjamuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 11:46 PM   #3845
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer
JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

New Test Version Posted

2019-11-22
- Add plugin option for toolbar button to pop menu.

New option. I'm open to suggestions for the text and tooltip for both the new option and "Default to Update when books selected?"

Click image for larger version

Name:	newoption.png
Views:	27
Size:	205.2 KB
ID:	175076
Old 11-23-2019, 09:44 AM   #3846
Anyssia
Anyssia has met Morla.Anyssia has met Morla.Anyssia has met Morla.Anyssia has met Morla.Anyssia has met Morla.Anyssia has met Morla.Anyssia has met Morla.Anyssia has met Morla.Anyssia has met Morla.Anyssia has met Morla.Anyssia has met Morla.

Device: Kobo Forma
the cover font sizing issue, post solution, how to add it

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmXinu View Post
Okay, Kovid didn't like my tweak settings idea for addressing the cover font sizing issue. Instead, he added code to Calibre for a different solution while also suggesting another different approach based on viewport relative size units.

Spoiler:
So, here are the suggested options for dealing with the issue raised by Anyssia.

Cover Image

Perhaps the most logical solution is to create an actual cover image. Calibre has a graphical cover generating feature as well as the Generate Cover plugin, both of which can be extensively configured and automatically called from FanFicFare.

Render Page Size

Kovid has added a feature to appear in the next version of Calibre that allows you to put a render size and margins as metadata in the html of the title page using a <meta> tag such as <meta name="calibre-html-render-data" content='{"size": "A6", "margins": [5, 0, 5, 0]}'/>

It could be included after next Calibre update in all your future downloaded title pages in FFF like so:
Spoiler:
Code:
[epub]
titlepage_start:<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
 <html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml">
 <head>
 <title>${title} by ${author}</title>
 <link href="stylesheet.css" type="text/css" charset="UTF-8" rel="stylesheet"/>
 <meta name="calibre-html-render-data" content='{"size": "A6", "margins": [5, 0, 5, 0]}'/>
 </head>
 <body>
 <h3><a href="${storyUrl}">${title}</a> by ${authorHTML}</h3>
 <div>

But this doesn't work until the next Calibre version is out.

Viewport Relative Font Size

Kovid also pointed out that there are now CSS units that scale relative to viewport size(search for vw, vh, etc) that can be used for font size.

This has the advantage of not needing to wait for the next Calibre version to use and possibly also affecting your book reader.

It also has the disadvantage of possibly affecting your book reader. vw/vh/vmin/vmax are CSS3 and may cause problems to the point that: "Some reader programs are very finicky about CSS stylesheets and will ignore the whole sheet if there is an error. ..."

Right now, it looks like the Calibre convert to AZW3 (for Kindle readers) discards the vw/vh/vmin/vmax sizes for that reason.

It could be included right now in all your future downloaded title pages in FFF like so:
Spoiler:
Code:
titlepage_start:<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
 <html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml">
 <head>
 <title>${title} by ${author}</title>
 <link href="stylesheet.css" type="text/css" charset="UTF-8" rel="stylesheet"/>
 <!-- meta name="calibre-html-render-data" content='{"size": "A6", "margins": [5, 0, 5, 0]}'/ -->
 </head>
 <body style="font-size: 3.3vmax;">
 <h3><a href="${storyUrl}">${title}</a> by ${authorHTML}</h3>
 <div>

Conclusion?

Right now, my favorite is the viewport relative font size.

But it does highlight that I haven't done anything in past to make it easier to selectively apply CSS to FFF's generated output. I'll probably be adding HTML class attrs to various tags in a test version shortly. Then a much shorter add_to_output_css setting could be used instead of titlepage_start.

Opinions?
Hi!

Sorry, the last few weeks have been hell on earth and I've only managed to visit the forum again. (I tried answering once but my message seems to have been eaten, apologies if both eventually show up)

Anyway, thank you for looking for a solution!!

I'm not particularly great with this stuff and my google-fu failed me, so:
- I updated to version 4.4 which came out on the 21st. The first solution should be available, right? Where should I add that meta tag, please? I'll after all new FanficFare downloaded stories and updated, right?

- If no, the Viewport thing, where should I add this code, please? And same question, I don't have to edit all books one by one, I hope.

Thank you for your help!
Anyssia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 12:40 PM   #3847
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer

New Test Version Posted

2019-11-23
- Failsafe for max_zalgo setting. Closes #449.
Old 11-23-2019, 04:42 PM   #3848
AndersW
Enthusiast
AndersW began at the beginning.

https://www.tgstorytime.com/ isn't picking up the age rating of a story, because the age rating isn't listed unless you go to the table of contents for the story.

Sample: https://www.tgstorytime.com/viewstory.php?sid=5381
AndersW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 06:39 PM   #3849
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer

New Test Version Posted

2019-11-23
- Base_eFiction - Get Rating/Rated from TOC page if not found on print page. Remove from 2 individual adapters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndersW View Post
https://www.tgstorytime.com/ isn't picking up the age rating of a story, because the age rating isn't listed unless you go to the table of contents for the story.

Sample: https://www.tgstorytime.com/viewstory.php?sid=5381
I assume you are referring to either field titled 'Rated' or 'Type of Change'. The latter is in the site-specific metadata 'typeofchange'.

'Rated' is not captured on that site for exactly the reason you give--it appears only on the TOC page. Turns out this is a common issue with Base_eFiction sites and two of the base_efiction adapters already had code to get it from TOC. I pulled that code up into base_efiction. 16 more efiction sites collect rating now.
Old 11-23-2019, 07:14 PM   #3850
AndersW
Enthusiast
AndersW began at the beginning.

Thank you.
AndersW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 08:44 PM   #3851
Ryune
Enthusiast
Ryune began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-950, IPhone, Oasis 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmXinu View Post
New Test Version Posted

2019-11-22
- Add plugin option for toolbar button to pop menu.

New option. I'm open to suggestions for the text and tooltip for both the new option and "Default to Update when books selected?"

Attachment 175076
Awesome, thanks.
Ryune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 09:19 PM   #3852
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer

New Test Version Posted

2019-11-23
- (Fix incorrect version number.)
- Base_eFiction - Get Rating/Rated from TOC page if not found on print page. Remove from 2 individual adapters.
Old 11-23-2019, 09:22 PM   #3853
croonable
Enthusiast
croonable walks where angels fear to fly.croonable walks where angels fear to fly.croonable walks where angels fear to fly.croonable walks where angels fear to fly.croonable walks where angels fear to fly.croonable walks where angels fear to fly.croonable walks where angels fear to fly.croonable walks where angels fear to fly.croonable walks where angels fear to fly.croonable walks where angels fear to fly.croonable walks where angels fear to fly.

I just going to ask about the incorrect version number.
croonable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 07:02 AM   #3854
MrGarrison
MrGarrison began at the beginning.

Device: Tablet
I'm having problems downloading specific stories from Stories Online.

<urlopen error [Errno 10060] A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond>

Anyone else getting this?
MrGarrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 08:53 AM   #3855
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGarrison View Post
I'm having problems downloading specific stories from Stories Online.

<urlopen error [Errno 10060] A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond>

Anyone else getting this?
Just tested with no problems.
davidfor is online now   Reply With Quote