Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 11-16-2019, 10:45 AM   #736
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
I think reading a book in class makes a bigger impact because you are naturally getting more out of it than you would reading the same book for pleasure.
That may be true for some, or even most, but that wasn't my experience at all. I certainly wouldn't use the word naturally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sufue View Post
I hated having to read (fiction) books for class. I had to go at the class speed, not mine, and sometimes had to analyze books to the point of not enjoying them anymore. If I feel like "settling" for enjoying a rip-roaring good story instead of looking for the fifth level of meaning, that's I want to do.

My favorite example is The Hobbit, which we had in one of my middle school classes. By that time, I had probably read it maybe five times on my own, as well as all three Lord of the Rings books, but I ended up flunking one quiz on it because I had no idea what had happened in Chapter X, as opposed to Chapter X-1, or X+1, or X+2, since I knew the book so well that I didn't read it by chapters. So my answer described what happened partly in Chapter X and partly in some other chapters, and the teacher felt that meant I hadn't been "taking my assignments seriously".

For me, at least, assigning books tended to ruin them for me...at least temporarily.

I still love Tolkien's books, BTW, but it took a little while to recover from having The Hobbit in class .
That's what I disliked the most about school. The focus on the irrelevant.

I would read the entire history book the first few weeks of the school year just for the joy of learning history. But I always had to cram for the tests. I always got an A, but I'm sure it would have been a C or lower if I had to retake the exact same test an hour later.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 11:11 AM   #737
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
I would read the entire history book the first few weeks of the school year just for the joy of learning history. But I always had to cram for the tests. I always got an A, but I'm sure it would have been a C or lower if I had to retake the exact same test an hour later.
Ah well. I enjoyed it. It helped me appreciate Gabriel Garcia Marquez when we read No One Writes to the Colonel and helped me get a little more about Notes From Underground, which was honestly just a slog to read.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 10:19 PM   #738
sufue
lost in my e-reader...
sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Sony T1, Nook ST Glowlight, Galaxy Tab 7 Plus
FWIW, I've never had a problem with Kobo Price Match once I've sent them a screenshot, making it at most a two-step process, and more often a one-step process, but everyone's MMV.

Would I trust the process with a $100 textbook? Probably not, but I've successfully matched some books that were in the $10 to $20 range, which is a lot for me.

Since I use both the Kobo and Kindle apps on my phone, which is my main reader, that does help me minimize hassle somewhat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post

My preference these days is not to download/strip/backup, but just to let my purchases download to my Kobos. However, when a price is cheaper at Kindle, I still don't price match as it doesn't seem worth the potential nuisance of dealing with Kobo CS, nor the exposure of not getting the matching credit when a book is very much more expensive at Kobo.
sufue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 06:55 AM   #739
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
FWIW, I've never had a problem with Kobo Price Match once I've sent them a screenshot, making it at most a two-step process, and more often a one-step process, but everyone's MMV.

Would I trust the process with a $100 textbook? Probably not, but I've successfully matched some books that were in the $10 to $20 range, which is a lot for me.

Since I use both the Kobo and Kindle apps on my phone, which is my main reader, that does help me minimize hassle somewhat.
Thanks. I'll give it a try the next time the issue comes up and see how it goes. If poorly, then I'll know. (The other mild issue is that I don't want a ton of Kobo credit; I don't buy that much anymore. Although I'd probably use is as a (poor) justification to pick up something pricey if the credit started to pile up.)
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 08:55 AM   #740
ReadingManiac
Genre Jumper
ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paperwhite
Quote:
I hated having to read (fiction) books for class. I had to go at the class speed, not mine, and sometimes had to analyze books to the point of not enjoying them anymore. If I feel like "settling" for enjoying a rip-roaring good story instead of looking for the fifth level of meaning, that's I want to do.
I'm with you on this. My best reading in school happened in the library at break times.
ReadingManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 12:26 PM   #741
tch65721
Evangelist
tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 10", Android phone
The Help by Kathryn Stockett - $1.99
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002YKOXB6

Quote:
The #1 New York Times bestselling novel and basis for the Academy Award-winning film—a timeless and universal story about the lines we abide by, and the ones we don’t—nominated as one of America’s best-loved novels by PBS’s The Great American Read.

Last edited by tch65721; 12-11-2019 at 12:31 PM.
tch65721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 06:52 PM   #742
Little.Egret
Wizard
Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G, Kindle Fire 2, NOOK ST, Kindle HDX, Fire 7"
Free shorts

The Tower is Full of Ghosts Today by Alison Weir

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B074MDNMW5

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B074MDNMW5

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B074MDNMW5

Six Tudor Queens: Writing a New Story by Alison Weir

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B016IOF8SK/

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B016IOF8SK/

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B016IOF8SK/
Little.Egret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 09:54 AM   #743
ReadingManiac
Genre Jumper
ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paperwhite
Brilliant! I've been wanting to read Alison Weir and I'm in time for these.
ReadingManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 03:08 PM   #744
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Both say "not currently available for purchase". In the US, at least.
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 09:39 PM   #745
sufue
lost in my e-reader...
sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Sony T1, Nook ST Glowlight, Galaxy Tab 7 Plus
Again £0.99 at Kindle UK. Link is still good...

Quote:
Old Man and the Sea by Ernest Hemingway is 99p as a UK Kindle Daily Deal today.

link: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00FU7V8IG/

The last novel Ernest Hemingway saw published, The Old Man and the Sea has proved itself to be one of the enduring works of American fiction. It is the story of an old Cuban fisherman and his supreme ordeal: a relentless, agonizing battle with a giant marlin far out in the Gulf Stream. Using the simple, powerful language of a fable, Hemingway takes the timeless themes of courage in the face of defeat and personal triumph won from loss and transforms them into a magnificent twentieth-century classic.
sufue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 09:06 PM   #746
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The Cider House Rules by John Irving $2.99 at Amazon US.

An absolutely terrific novel. Highly recommended. I enjoyed it far more than the movie that was made from it.

Quote:
An American classic first published in 1985 by William Morrow and adapted into an Academy Award-winning film, The Cider House Rules is among John Irving's most beloved novels. Set in rural Maine in the first half of the twentieth century, it tells the story of Dr. Wilbur Larch—saint and obstetrician, founder and director of the orphanage in the town of St. Cloud's, ether addict and abortionist. It is also the story of Dr. Larch's favorite orphan, Homer Wells, who is never adopted.
Old 01-01-2020, 09:55 PM   #747
tch65721
Evangelist
tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 10", Android phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
The Cider House Rules by John Irving $2.99 at Amazon US.

An absolutely terrific novel. Highly recommended. I enjoyed it far more than the movie that was made from it.
I waffled about posting this one. I know I paid $1.99 myself but prices are up across the board... at least, it seems so to me. Anyway, it is a wonderful book and it appears I liked the movie more than you.
tch65721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 10:35 PM   #748
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by tch65721 View Post
I waffled about posting this one. I know I paid $1.99 myself but prices are up across the board... at least, it seems so to me. Anyway, it is a wonderful book and it appears I liked the movie more than you.
I don't mean to be too harsh on the movie. It was one of those cases of 'I just liked the book better.'

At least it wasn't like The Girl On The Train, where that was just a disappointing movie, not because of changes, but because it just wasn't very good.
Old 01-02-2020, 09:42 AM   #749
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by tch65721 View Post
I waffled about posting this one. I know I paid $1.99 myself but prices are up across the board... at least, it seems so to me.
I too have noticed many more deals at $2.99 instead of $1.99.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 01:00 PM   #750
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Russell View Post
I too have noticed many more deals at $2.99 instead of $1.99.
$2.99 for a book from a currently living bestselling author like John Irving, Tom Robbins, Stephen King or someone like that is good.

Older books published by Open Road or indie books, you can likely find them for $1.99 or even less.