Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 10-31-2019, 09:17 PM   #31
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
I've been buying things from Ebay since there was an Ebay and I do it very carefully and I've never been burned yet. I only buy from sellers who allow returns and who have at least a 99% approval rating and have a lot of sales.

I did once buy a Kobo Aura from Ebay and the guy sent me a Kobo Mini. I emailed him and he gave me a refund right away and told me to keep the Mini. I gave it to a neighbor.

Another time I bought a old used handheld computer and it's condition wasn't nearly as advertised. I emailed him and he offered to give me a refund and let me keep the device. I decided that even though it didn't match his description it was still okay and if I'd known it's condition I would have bought it at that price anyway so I told him to keep the money and I suggested he be more scrupulous about his descriptions.

In the first case I'm convinced it was an honest mistake. In the second case I'm less sure it was a mistake but I got what I wanted at a good price so I didn't feel bad about it.

Without exception all the rest of the probably over 100 items I've purchased from Ebay for myself and my neighbors have been just fine. I always have assumed that eventually I'll get burned but I've saved so much in the meantime I can afford to get burned.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 09:00 AM   #32
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Sony PRS-650, Sony PRS-T1, nook STR, iPad 4, iPhone 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrustratedReader View Post
What he says!

EXCEPT

Apart from a couple of ebay sellers that sell blacklisted Kindles!
I guess older models still let you copy by USB/Sideload, but no books bought from Amazon unless DRM free and no connecting to Amazon.
No 3G at all.
Do some later models get blocked from WiFi or even bricked?
Think of a blacklisted Kindle as using an unregistered Kindle. I would think the WiFi would work. I've never read about a blacklisted Kindle being bricked. If Amazon did that, I think holy hell would break out like it did over 1984.

I get that most Kindles sold on eBay may be OK, but there are those that are blacklisted and it's not worth the risk.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 01:25 PM   #33
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Just for future reference we have a page on our wiki Blacklist (Amazon) for this.
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote