Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 03-29-2024, 11:39 PM   #1
Kaysclie
Addict
Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Forma, Aura One,Ipad Pro 10.5, Oasis 3
Looking for some answers about glowlight 4 plus

Barnes and Noble still have the Nook Glowlight 4 plus on sale on line. But they won't be shipping until May 31. I still have time to think about it. Most of the reviews look to be that these are the best Nooks yet. But so far I have read that some people have had trouble connecting their glowlight 4 plus Nooks to their computers(windows 10). Can anyone confirm whether that problem has been resolved? I am not looking to do any tricky stuff with my Nook. Just looking for a top notch book reader that will connect to calibre and let me download and read my present and future books. I would appreciate any input from people on this forum...and thank you for any information.
Kaysclie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2024, 12:35 AM   #2
kenpal
kenpal began at the beginning.

Device: Libra 2
I'm a bookseller there. The Plus has been out of stock since the holidays. As far as I know we are supposed to get more in May but I wouldn't be surprised if it gets delayed
kenpal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-30-2024, 05:41 AM   #3
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
AFAIK you can connect the newest Nook to a Windows 10 computer just fine, but you can't connect it to Calibre.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2024, 09:46 AM   #4
downeaster59
Wizard
downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini 6, Onyx Leaf 2, Onyx Tab Mini C, Nook Glowlight 4 Plus
My GL4+ connects to Calibre just fine. I have a Mac, if that makes a difference!
downeaster59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2024, 09:56 AM   #5
cgsmom
Addict
cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook GL4+, Nook GL4e, Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle PW4, iPhone 14
I have a Windows 11 computer and the Glowlight 4 Plus connects just fine. It shows up as a folder directly under "This PC". I had a Windows 10 computer and it would not connect automatically. I had to connect the Nook and then "Restart" the Nook. I don't know if that was just something with my computer that could have been corrected or not. That computer died and I got my current one.

Calibre cannot connect with my Glowlight 4 Plus so I just copy files from my Calibre Library folder to the Nook folder and it seems to work just fine.

FWIW Calibre can connect with the Glowlight 4e just fine.

I do like the GL4+. I think it is the best Nook I have had.
cgsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-30-2024, 10:19 AM   #6
gforgiraffe39935
Connoisseur
gforgiraffe39935 can extract oil from cheesegforgiraffe39935 can extract oil from cheesegforgiraffe39935 can extract oil from cheesegforgiraffe39935 can extract oil from cheesegforgiraffe39935 can extract oil from cheesegforgiraffe39935 can extract oil from cheesegforgiraffe39935 can extract oil from cheesegforgiraffe39935 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Nook, Kobo, Kindle
If you like the GlowLight 4 as it is, you will enjoy the 4 Plus. Battery life was also good. Screen is very crisp even when the warm light is on, which I cannot say for my Kobo Sage.
gforgiraffe39935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2024, 12:30 PM   #7
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by downeaster59 View Post
My GL4+ connects to Calibre just fine. I have a Mac, if that makes a difference!
Yes, the inability to connect to Calibre is specifically a Windows issue.
Old 03-30-2024, 12:45 PM   #8
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gforgiraffe39935 View Post
If you like the GlowLight 4 as it is, you will enjoy the 4 Plus. Battery life was also good. Screen is very crisp even when the warm light is on, which I cannot say for my Kobo Sage.
My Sage is plenty crisp with the warm light, but then I have the full refresh set to every page.
Old 04-01-2024, 03:15 PM   #9
Cactus Chef
Addict
Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Kobo Clara HD, Galaxy Tab S5e, Kindle 4th Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Yes, the inability to connect to Calibre is specifically a Windows issue.
Glad it's not just my wife's GL4+ that's having that issue with Calibre. I've been meaning to get a debug log and file a bug with Calibre, but it seems like it's been raised a few times by other people and nothing's happening with it.

But by sheer coincidence, Calibre updated on her laptop the other day and now the application fails to launch at all, so, problem solved?
Cactus Chef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2024, 01:58 AM   #10
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cactus Chef View Post
But by sheer coincidence, Calibre updated on her laptop the other day and now the application fails to launch at all, so, problem solved?
Calibre never self-updates. Updating is always manual. If she's using real Calibre, not some paid version by a third party.
Old 04-02-2024, 09:40 AM   #11
Cactus Chef
Addict
Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Kobo Clara HD, Galaxy Tab S5e, Kindle 4th Gen
Quote:
Calibre never self-updates. Updating is always manual. If she's using real Calibre, not some paid version by a third party.
I never said it self-updated. She got the prompt that there was a new version when it launched, she installed the update, and rebooted her computer (never understood why the Windows version demands a reboot--doesn't do that on Linux). After that, whenever the Calibre icon is clicked, the app fails to launch.

I ran a command to launch the debug version and there's a python error causing it to crash on startup.
Cactus Chef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2024, 10:37 AM   #12
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

The Windows version doesn't demand a reboot. I never reboot my computer after updating Calibre (Windows 10).
Old 04-02-2024, 01:35 PM   #13
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
The Windows version doesn't demand a reboot. I never reboot my computer after updating Calibre (Windows 10).
Indeed, Calibre may want restarted after an update. That doesn't involve rebooting.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2024, 02:18 PM   #14
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
If you update calibre while calibre is open, you can trigger having to restart your computer so that files that were in use can be overwritten. In my experience, that has been the only time that I need to restart my computer after a calibre installation.

As for @Cactus Chef's wife's issue, I would suggest making sure that no calibre processes are running, uninstalling calibre, deleting the C:\Program Files\Calibre2 directory and any subdirectories and then re-installing calibre. This should not affect your calibre configuration or libraries.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2024, 06:48 AM   #15
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
Indeed, Calibre may want restarted after an update. That doesn't involve rebooting.
Of course I'm referring to updating plug-ins. I'd close an application if I was updating it.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote