Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 01-29-2010, 08:46 PM   #1
greg.t
I'm new here
greg.t began at the beginning.

Device: Windows Mobile
Can't access HTC Touch HD as a device

Why is it that the HTC Android shows as a device in Calibre, but the HTC WinMo phones, such as Touch HD and Touch HD2, do not show?
When is Calibre going to recognise WinMo phones as genuine ebook-reading devices?
The last thing in the world I want is a separate device just to read ebooks. Every other portable device has been integrated into the WinMo platform, why not eBooks as well?
Until this happens, Calibre has very little appeal to me.
greg.t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 08:49 PM   #2
solitaire
Connoisseur
solitaire began at the beginning.

Device: iPad, Galaxy S5
+1. This would be a very useful feature for WinMo owners.
solitaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-29-2010, 09:02 PM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Only devices that mount as disk drives will show up as devices in calibre. IIRC winmo devices need to use activesync.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 06:01 AM   #4
solitaire
Connoisseur
solitaire began at the beginning.

Device: iPad, Galaxy S5
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Only devices that mount as disk drives will show up as devices in calibre. IIRC winmo devices need to use activesync.
Kovid, in winmo V6.x.x there is an option to connect either via Activesync or as a disk drive. I use it many times to copy large files without having to go thru the hassle of AS authentication.
solitaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 08:42 AM   #5
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by solitaire View Post
Kovid, in winmo V6.x.x there is an option to connect either via Activesync or as a disk drive. I use it many times to copy large files without having to go thru the hassle of AS authentication.
Kovid allowed me to add useragent string recognition of the HD2 as a mobile device to the logic for the calibre server so that it automatically switches to the mobile server. (The main server requires ajax and neither the Opera browser, nor IE on the HD2 supports it).

Because calibre won't talk to WinMo devices through AS, I tried to get calibre to recognize the HD2 when connected as a disk drive. Unfortunately, the HD2 doesn't properly identify itself, so this didn't work either. After using calibre for a while, it seemed to me that there wasn't any reason to get calibre to recognize the HD2 as an e-reader (which would allow "Send to device") when I could just "Save to disk" when the HD2 was connected as a disk drive.

Plus, "Save to disk" was originally much more flexible. Since I looked at this, Kovid has added flexibility to "Send to device" by allowing control over file/folder names, but I still don't see any real advantage to it over "Save to disk." Unless I'm missing something?

I admit, I haven't looked at it recently, since the HD2 is my wife's toy, and she's using the wifi and the built-in server for most of her book management.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-30-2010, 11:55 AM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by solitaire View Post
You can always try the steps described in the FAQ for adding new device support, but as Starson17 pointed out, the device doesn't identify itself, making writing a driver impossible. I actually wouldn't mind having an ActiveSync based implementation, but I personally don't have the time to code one (I know absolutely nothing about asctivesync).

Also since you can run the content server and access your calibre library that way, it doesn't seem like there is a big need for it.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote