Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 12-18-2016, 08:32 AM   #961
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Moved to the correct Forum and the correct THREAD.

Don
(Moderator)
Dr. Drib is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 03:20 PM   #962
gweeks
Fanatic
gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Rocket, Nook ST, Kobo WiFi, Kindle PW
I'm looking for a book I read a year or so ago. I thought it was a freebie, but it might have been one I read from somewhere else. It was definitely an ebook and not a paper book. I have the strong impression that it was self published.

A woman was abducted by aliens. She makes friends with the AI that controls the ship. The AI kills everyone else on the ship. The aliens she bumps into when trying to escape have difficulty doing music and think her musical talents are great. The aliens are part of a confederacy of multiple species.

Greg Weeks
gweeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-03-2017, 04:05 PM   #963
cadele
Addict
cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles, Sony 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by gweeks View Post
I'm looking for a book I read a year or so ago. I thought it was a freebie, but it might have been one I read from somewhere else. It was definitely an ebook and not a paper book. I have the strong impression that it was self published.

A woman was abducted by aliens. She makes friends with the AI that controls the ship. The AI kills everyone else on the ship. The aliens she bumps into when trying to escape have difficulty doing music and think her musical talents are great. The aliens are part of a confederacy of multiple species.

Greg Weeks
Hi Greg . Book you are looking for is Dark Horse by Michelle Diener.
cadele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 04:18 PM   #964
gweeks
Fanatic
gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Rocket, Nook ST, Kobo WiFi, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadele View Post
Hi Greg . Book you are looking for is Dark Horse by Michelle Diener.
That's it. I got it as a prime read which is why it didn't show up in my library.

Thanks.

Greg Weeks
gweeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 01:06 PM   #965
stop__dreaming
Addict
stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
Searching for a book by plot

Hopefully this is the right place!

Asking on behalf of a friend. He cannot remember the author however the name of the book could be something like The Last Girl and he thinks a birdcage could be on the front cover. Book possibly released in the 90's.

The plot surrounds a girl who has moved into a flat and an obsessive neighbour who buys her things, makes her dinner. Sounds like a creepy thriller; name of book relates to the previous girl who lived there.

I know it's a long shot but any help would be appreciated!

Thanks!
stop__dreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-19-2017, 10:10 AM   #966
jselby
Zealot
jselby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jselby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jselby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jselby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jselby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jselby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jselby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jselby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jselby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jselby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jselby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage | Samsug GT4
Quote:
Originally Posted by stop__dreaming View Post
Hopefully this is the right place!

Asking on behalf of a friend. He cannot remember the author however the name of the book could be something like The Last Girl and he thinks a birdcage could be on the front cover. Book possibly released in the 90's.

The plot surrounds a girl who has moved into a flat and an obsessive neighbour who buys her things, makes her dinner. Sounds like a creepy thriller; name of book relates to the previous girl who lived there.

I know it's a long shot but any help would be appreciated!

Thanks!
This came up in a search on goodreads. Sounds similar to your description.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/....The_Last_Girl
jselby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 02:58 PM   #967
stop__dreaming
Addict
stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jselby View Post
This came up in a search on goodreads. Sounds similar to your description.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/....The_Last_Girl
That's the one! Thanks so much!
stop__dreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 12:35 PM   #968
piperclassique
A garbling groftpot
piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis, Voyage, Kobo mini, Samsung tablet, phones, whatever.
Any E.R. Punshon readers here? I'm buying the Bobby Owen series as they come up at 99p on Amazon UK, and there seems to be a strange gap at number 19, at least according to Fantastic Fiction. I have 18 (Conquerer Inn) and 20 (Secrets can't be kept), and most of the rest up to 26 (Music Tells All)
I have plenty to read, I'm just curious.
piperclassique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 01:09 AM   #969
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
I thought of this book again and thought I would check again. Anyone have any ideas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrin View Post
I remember reading a short story while in school (late 80's) that was similar to "The Most Dangerous Game" by Richard Connell - humans hunting humans. It was part of an illustrated anthology - I remember lots of pictures of conceptual space ships - and the version I remember was an oversized book, not a mass market paperback size. In this variation, the hunters generally had very high tech armaments and did their hunting on a preserve or separated planet and it was planned, not someone being shanghaied. The protagonist had decided he didn't like the use of the high tech tools and decided to go completely low tech.

Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_hunting) and TV Tropes (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...tDangerousGame) don't have the right one.

Does anybody recognize this?
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 02:24 AM   #970
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
Was the story in a school textbook? If so, you should say where you were in school. It may be that the textbook was used in a limited location.
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 11:42 AM   #971
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It was not a textbook, it was in the school library though.
Old 03-24-2017, 01:04 PM   #972
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrin View Post
I thought of this book again and thought I would check again. Anyone have any ideas?
I also read a similar book/short story around the late 80s/early 90s. It could be the same one. I just remember a group of people end up on an isolated (and lush?) planet and basically have to survive after being specially chosen for the purpose. I think that although they think they're rebuilding humanity it also ends up that they're in a 'game' and they're being hunted, but I'm not positive on that point. I'm not sure exactly how long it was or if it was YA or just regular sci-fi.

I think I asked here awhile ago and got this suggestion- Invitation to the Game by Monica Hughes. It could be the one I'm thinking of but I wouldn't know until I read it again.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 01:54 PM   #973
Dazrin
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by sun surfer View Post
I also read a similar book/short story around the late 80s/early 90s. It could be the same one. I just remember a group of people end up on an isolated (and lush?) planet and basically have to survive after being specially chosen for the purpose. I think that although they think they're rebuilding humanity it also ends up that they're in a 'game' and they're being hunted, but I'm not positive on that point. I'm not sure exactly how long it was or if it was YA or just regular sci-fi.

I think I asked here awhile ago and got this suggestion- Invitation to the Game by Monica Hughes. It could be the one I'm thinking of but I wouldn't know until I read it again.
I will have to check that one out but it isn't the one I am looking for.

In the one I am looking for the narrator/protagonist belongs to a "hunting club" (or similar) where the members volunteer for these hunts and spend considerable effort preparing for them. Which is why his going low-tech is important. Although I believe there was also the "boredom" factor as a motivation for him, but I can't say for sure.
Old 03-28-2017, 09:21 AM   #974
drjd
The Couch Potato
drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Touch, Archos 9, Onyx Boox C67ML Carta
Quote:
Originally Posted by piperclassique View Post
Any E.R. Punshon readers here? I'm buying the Bobby Owen series as they come up at 99p on Amazon UK, and there seems to be a strange gap at number 19, at least according to Fantastic Fiction. I have 18 (Conquerer Inn) and 20 (Secrets can't be kept), and most of the rest up to 26 (Music Tells All)
I have plenty to read, I'm just curious.
I have read some of the E.R. Punshon's books in the Bobby Owen series and according to the bibliography details available in my record, Night's cloak published in 1944 should be the 19th book of this series.

Edit: This list at LibraryThing also confirms the above fact.

Last edited by drjd; 03-28-2017 at 09:25 AM. Reason: Link added.
drjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 03:15 PM   #975
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
I am trying to remember the title of an audiobook I listened to within the past few years. It was a suspense thriller that opened with a woman taking photos of a dead body she found in her apartment upon returning from a vacation (honeymoon?) with her husband. (She is a professional photographer.) She then becomes obsessed with finding out who the dead man was and how he came to be in her apartment.

Probably the author is a woman--probably British, because I'm fairly sure the setting is London. The book was new-ish when I read it. I've been going through my lists of books read, but I've read a few hundred books in the last few years and I'm not finding it.

Does this ring a bell with anyone? Thanks.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
children's books, christie, forgotten title, four just men, mystery stories, teen sleuths