Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-09-2018, 11:52 PM   #1
WestCactus
Zealot
WestCactus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WestCactus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WestCactus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WestCactus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WestCactus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WestCactus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WestCactus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WestCactus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WestCactus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WestCactus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WestCactus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Oasis 1 & 3, Fire 8
New kindle registered to account

I forgot to unclick the register to my account on a new kindle purchase. I saw it in my devices after the return date. It is a gift so if I remember the start up, it will ask the person I give it to if he is me.

The only way to get my name off it that I know of is open the box and start it up. I unregistered it but I think that doesn’t wipe it off the kindle.

Why’s does amazon default it to not register it to my account. This makes a gift useless.

Last edited by WestCactus; 09-09-2018 at 11:55 PM.
WestCactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 02:03 AM   #2
haertig
Wizard
haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Fire HD8 Gen7, Moto G7, Sansa Clip v2, Ruizu X26
Remember that Amazon sells these things to collect data/display ads so that they can aggregate/analyze that to sell more stuff. They don't collect any data off an unregistered device (or at least not as much useful data). So it's to their benefit to ship as many devices pre-registered as possible. That's not always in the customers best interest (as you pointed out for gifts), but it's in Amazon's best interest. So who do you think they're going to prioritize? You or themselves? THAT's why the default is to register a device to your account automatically.
haertig is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-10-2018, 03:29 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
More to the point, the overwhelming majority buy a Kindle for themselves, and it does make things a lot easier for a new user if the device is pre-registered. It also allows them to buy ebooks before the device arrives, and essentially start reading as soon as they switch it on. Pre-registration is the sensible default, to my mind. Amazon provide the ability to override this if the buyer wishes to do so, but the buyer has to take some responsibility to do so.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 03:55 AM   #4
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
You can remotely deregister any Amazon device via the my devices screen at the web site.
You can also remotely remove your account from non Amazon devices that you have logged into to stream Amazon video or Amazon music.
The device has to go online to make use of the registration and as soon as it does, Amazon can tell the device that registration has been revoked
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 05:03 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by stumped View Post
You can remotely deregister any Amazon device via the my devices screen at the web site.
You can also remotely remove your account from non Amazon devices that you have logged into to stream Amazon video or Amazon music.
The device has to go online to make use of the registration and as soon as it does, Amazon can tell the device that registration has been revoked
I think, though, that the OP was complaining about the fact that the Kindle will show "Hello Fred" (or whatever) on the screen as soon as it's turned on when taken out of the box, before logging in to any account. I see that as a nice touch of personalisation myself.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-10-2018, 07:12 AM   #6
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I think, though, that the OP was complaining about the fact that the Kindle will show "Hello Fred" (or whatever) on the screen as soon as it's turned on when taken out of the box, before logging in to any account. I see that as a nice touch of personalisation myself.
not sure if it would show that, actually, if it had been remotely de-registered. It is not something I want to spend time testing, but maybe the device " sees" that it is unregistered before it tries to say " Hello Fred".

as I recall, the first thing a new amazon device does is look for wi-fi to "phone home", then shows a list of available networks and asks for instructions on what to use
I guess it then presents a serial number to amazon servers and asks "am I legit / do I have an owner "....
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote