Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-02-2012, 04:36 PM   #151
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, iPad Pro 10", iPhone 15 Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by schulzmc View Post
I can't wait to lay in bed next to my wife tonight and be able to read without having to resort to the big overhead light being on!
It'll be nice (in a few days?) to be able to read w/o having to shield the case light with one hand to prevent it from shining into my gf's face while she's trying to sleep!

That said, I realized a problem last night... while brushing my teeth I had my K3 propped up on a towel and was reading... my hands were wet so I was turning pages with my wrists on the page turn buttons... not sure how I'll do that w/ the Paperwite. I also got a splash on the screen and wiped it off, which I realized won't work so well with a touchscreen. Maybe I should just put the book aside for a few minutes, but that's too hard. :-)
twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 04:38 PM   #152
Poodlemom1
Groupie
Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage, Oasis, Glow HD, Fire HD6, iPad Air 2, Mini 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg G View Post
Regarding swipe to unlock - I hope that is not needed when opening the cover. My expectation is that I will never see the screen saver ads (unless I want to) because I'll close the cover to turn off the device and when I open the cover I should find myself right where I left off in the book with the light on and no need to swipe.
I have the cover, and I have to swipe every time I open it. I don't think you have to swipe if you have the non-ad version.
Poodlemom1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-02-2012, 04:39 PM   #153
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helgetus View Post
As I understand it you have now two layers between your eyes and the eInk screen! At least two, you may count the light diffuser two layers. The eInk needs to be much much better to show clearer screen, more contrast and darker text.
The room light when the PW light is off has to go through more layers and is diffused by the light diffuser layer.
I'm waiting for more users reviews. I just hope it isn't quality control issue like last year. I was thrilled to finally have a great eReader like my K4B so I am hoping the PW will be just as good. So far it looks like the lighting seems to be the issue with splotches. The bottom ones don't bother me as I am use to it on the KF but that blue tint in the middle of the page someone posted looked odd.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 04:39 PM   #154
Avwriter
Addict
Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 505, 600, 350, T-1, PW1, Voyage, Oasis2
How much lag is there when opening a book? What about if you open and close several books in a row? My Sony T-1 gets a little flaky if I switch between too many books too often.
Avwriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 04:39 PM   #155
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
OK I was wrong but you have to really turn it off and not just let it sleep.
When you close the cover it goes into sleep mode with the screensaver, but if you press and hold the button to turn it off, when you open the cover it goes straight to the book you were reading.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-02-2012, 04:41 PM   #156
Helgetus
Zealot
Helgetus doesn't litterHelgetus doesn't litter

Device: PW1, PW2, KB3G, Sony PRS-T3
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
It'll be nice (in a few days?) to be able to read w/o having to shield the case light with one hand to prevent it from shining into my gf's face while she's trying to sleep!

That said, I realized a problem last night... while brushing my teeth I had my K3 propped up on a towel and was reading... my hands were wet so I was turning pages with my wrists on the page turn buttons... not sure how I'll do that w/ the Paperwite. I also got a splash on the screen and wiped it off, which I realized won't work so well with a touchscreen. Maybe I should just put the book aside for a few minutes, but that's too hard. :-)
You should be able to do a page turn by touching the screen with your wrist. Wiping off the screen with a cloth could be possible without a page turn or ther effect since it is not a infrared based screen but has a capacitive layer. You need to touch it with your fingers (even a fingernail will not work!).
Helgetus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 04:44 PM   #157
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post

It's capacitive. You can use a thin cloth or plastic layer if needed to turn the page so you don't get it wet or buy a stylus for those moments.

I have successfully turn the page on the Kindle Fire with my nose, knuckles and trying to clean the screen with a thin cloth. I use vinyl gloves alot and on my phone I have swiped and answered it with them on.

Last edited by Blossom; 10-02-2012 at 04:46 PM.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 04:44 PM   #158
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
Most of the screen is devoted to forward page turn, so you shouldn't have any problem using your wrist or elbow.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 04:46 PM   #159
Greg G
Groupie
Greg G is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle Papwerwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenG View Post
When you open the cover, the kindle opens to the special offers page.
Yuk! Looks like I will be shelling out another $20 assuming that skips the screen saver and takes you to where you left off

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenG View Post
OK I was wrong but you have to really turn it off and not just let it sleep.
When you close the cover it goes into sleep mode with the screensaver, but if you press and hold the button to turn it off, when you open the cover it goes straight to the book you were reading.
The flow is still wrong. Bad thing is that even if I pay the extra $20 it will show a screen saver instead of the pages I was on if I just close the cover when I'm done reading? It should work just like a paper book. Close to stop reading and open to start again with no extra steps.

Last edited by Greg G; 10-02-2012 at 04:52 PM.
Greg G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 04:49 PM   #160
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by linnx88 View Post
Tell you what. I will return my kindle pw, and see if the new one still has that huge splotch you see in my post above.

If the new pw, still has it, i will definitely get a regular kindle and recommend the same. At least until they acknowledge this problem and do something to fix it and not just act like I have to jump through hoops to get this shoddy lighting to work or "train" myself to "not notice it".
Mine has that same kind og huge top center splotch. See my photos in earlier post.
Old 10-02-2012, 04:49 PM   #161
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, iPad Pro 10", iPhone 15 Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
I have successfully turn the page on the Kindle Fire with my nose[...]
Aren't we a pathetic bunch?

I have to admit to having done that while washing dishes!
twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 04:57 PM   #162
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Yeah, the splottches in your photo are ugly (looks like a bruise ). Don't see anything like that here, but it may be because of the lighting I'm in.

Swipe? On the PW? No swiping here, just press the on/off button and start reading.
Mine is a SO PW. Is yours? Apparently for SO PWs you can bypass the SO on the sleep screen by swiping, otherwise you tap the screen to see the SO. Perhaps non-SO models simply wake up.
Old 10-02-2012, 05:03 PM   #163
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
Mine is a SO PW. Is yours? Apparently for SO PWs you can bypass the SO on the sleep screen by swiping, otherwise you tap the screen to see the SO. Perhaps non-SO models simply wake up.
Mine's a non-SO. It just wakes up to where I left off like all of my previous Kindle's.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 05:12 PM   #164
jswinden
Nameless Being

Okay so much for spending a few hours reading on my PW. I cannot. I'm already getting a headache most likely from all the eyestrain. I have tried every combination of room lighting and PW lighting, but it just sucks. My screen is just too splotchy and only part of that is due to the LED lighting. I've got really bad font rendering on my screen. Some words have a few letters that are nearly washed out. Other words have a few letters that almost look bold. This totally screwed up font rendering is popping up on every page and in random locations. It occurs with all the fonts and is worse with some. Combined with the splotches from the LED lighting, I simply cannot read on the damn thing.

I picked up my Touch after struggling with the PW and it was way better to read on. PW is going back. No replacement as too many others here have already pointed out similar faults in theirs. I'll wait for Gen 2 or 3.

Last edited by jswinden; 10-02-2012 at 05:15 PM.
Old 10-02-2012, 05:34 PM   #165
JoeC
Addict
JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2 and 3, Scribe
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
I picked up my Touch after struggling with the PW and it was way better to read on. PW is going back. No replacement as too many other here have already pointed out similar faults in theirs. I'll wait for Gen 2 or 3.
I got my hands on the two Paperwhites I ordered, one 3G the other wireless. Both exhibit the weird lighting that you and others have described. I did not do a side by side comparison with my Touch. What I found is that when I put the brightness at 15 or above and read under office lighting the screen looks awesome - to get a the white background you have turn the brightness almost all the way up. With the brightness turned up most of the page looks great but on the bottom you can see the odd lighting effect - it's there but if I don't stare at it I can't see it after reading for a few minutes in daylight.

The odd lighting effect is way more visable in the dark. It appears to be the same on both devices. The way to minimize it is too crank the brightness all the way up. I think this is still less bright than the light on the Touch but I'll have to play with it further. It is not perfect reading in the dark but I think it will be better than what I was experiencing before. Of course, the real test will be what my wife thinks when I wake up at two in the morning and start to read .

So far I am pleased and reading about what you are seeing makes me think you have a defective unit. I'm a little OCD too - I'll have to live with it a while to see if I experience eyestrain reading for a long time. I've been going back and forth from an iPad 3 to the Paperwhite and I am not feeling any irritation
JoeC is offline   Reply With Quote