Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 06-28-2012, 01:14 AM   #1
pwarren
Connoisseur
pwarren can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pwarren can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pwarren can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pwarren can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pwarren can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pwarren can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pwarren can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pwarren can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pwarren can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pwarren can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pwarren can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Irex Iliad (Dead), EcoReader (Smashed screen), Kobo Touch
ECO Reader (Jinke v3+) smashed screen - replacement

Hi guys,

Is there anything out there that's as good as my ECO Reader?

What I like, drag and drop file managment
no stupid software
Reads epub, mobi, pdf and html (and txt and comics and a whole bunch of others, which I don't regularly use)

And the best bit, while using the LBook firmware, it has a progress bar, time and battery status while reading epubs.

I currently have no need for wifi or 3g (cellular) network access.

An ECO Reader is a Jinke/Hanlin V3+ rebranded and was once sold by a company in Australia but they no longer appear to sell them, and the distributors customer service email address bounces, so I've little hope of getting another one from them, and many of the international retailers appear to have stopped selling it as well!

Are there useful online retailers that'll send one to Aus? The ones I've found either don't use anything useful for payment methods (Wire transfers, seriously?), or do not send to Australia.

Alternatively, is there something out there that gets close to what I like? The kobo touch seems to be close, any other recommendations?

Appreciate your advice!
pwarren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 04:09 PM   #2
Dopedangel
Wizard
Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwarren View Post
Hi guys,

Is there anything out there that's as good as my ECO Reader?

What I like, drag and drop file managment
no stupid software
Reads epub, mobi, pdf and html (and txt and comics and a whole bunch of others, which I don't regularly use)

And the best bit, while using the LBook firmware, it has a progress bar, time and battery status while reading epubs.

I currently have no need for wifi or 3g (cellular) network access.

An ECO Reader is a Jinke/Hanlin V3+ rebranded and was once sold by a company in Australia but they no longer appear to sell them, and the distributors customer service email address bounces, so I've little hope of getting another one from them, and many of the international retailers appear to have stopped selling it as well!

Are there useful online retailers that'll send one to Aus? The ones I've found either don't use anything useful for payment methods (Wire transfers, seriously?), or do not send to Australia.

Alternatively, is there something out there that gets close to what I like? The kobo touch seems to be close, any other recommendations?

Appreciate your advice!
Nook touch and sony are android based readers and you can use coolreader on them the reader that is in Lbook firmware. I used to have a Hanlin v3 before I got a nook touch
Dopedangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-04-2012, 08:26 PM   #3
pwarren
Connoisseur
pwarren can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pwarren can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pwarren can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pwarren can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pwarren can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pwarren can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pwarren can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pwarren can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pwarren can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pwarren can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pwarren can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Ended up going with a Kobo Touch ereader, Mostly for price and local availibility

It is very good as a reader, a fairly big jump in book loading and screen performance from the EcoReader. It has a progress bar of sorts (Page X of Blah), but no time display, but I can get over that.

What I find I miss the most, is not having to manage the books on my reader. the EcoReader, you just stick books on the SDCard, browse to them and you can read. Remove them from the SDCard, and they're gone. With the Kobo, you have to use the Kobo desktop or Calibre to remove and add books. And browsing a lot of books is a pain with a flat list display on the reader. Slight change in behaviour, and I'm fine. Load only a few books at a time, delete them as read, and I'm Ok enough for now

Thanks for the message though.
Old 07-04-2012, 09:09 PM   #4
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
What I find I miss the most, is not having to manage the books on my reader. the EcoReader, you just stick books on the SDCard, browse to them and you can read. Remove them from the SDCard, and they're gone. With the Kobo, you have to use the Kobo desktop or Calibre to remove and add books.
I throw epubs onto an SD card (using the Finder (Mac), not using Calibre or Kobo Desktop), and shove the card in my Kobo Touch. It works great. Even better, the new books pop up front on the home screen, so you don't have to muck around trying to find them in the Library.

I agree that browsing hundreds of books can be a bit of a pain (though the slider helps a bit), and more organisation would be useful - some people have a hack for this, but I haven't got around to installing it. I'm finding that using the Shortlist, and making liberal use of the rather good Search facility, is working ok for me for now.

Enjoy!
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 12:39 AM   #5
pwarren
Connoisseur

Meeera, Yeah, adding files isn't a problem, but try removing them from the SD card! all sorts of non-useful errors! And yeah, I'm getting used to using the search facility, it is pretty good.
Advert
Old 07-05-2012, 02:06 AM   #6
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
pwarren: Hm, I've not had trouble with doing that. What error messages are you getting?

If this info is of use, I manage it by putting the SD card direct into an SD card reader, rather than via the Kobo's USB connection. Have a peek through the forums, too - some people have had trouble with particular types of larger-capacity SD cards. I use a little 2G one (which is plenty enough for my epub collection!)

ETA: Pardon me; it's a 4G card.

Last edited by meeera; 07-06-2012 at 03:45 AM.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 11:38 AM   #7
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
Quote:
Ended up going with a Kobo Touch ereader, Mostly for price and local availibility

It is very good as a reader, a fairly big jump in book loading and screen performance from the EcoReader. It has a progress bar of sorts (Page X of Blah), but no time display, but I can get over that.

Time is displayed at the top middle of the menu.
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote