Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 07-24-2011, 11:18 AM   #1
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Brandon Sanderson's "Mistborn" trilogy - any good?

I'm looking for some good "epic" fantasy, and someone's recommended Brandon Sanderson's "Mistborn" trilogy to me. I have to admit that I haven't come across this author before, other than in the context of him being chosen to finished off Robert Jordan's "Wheel of Time" series.

Does anyone have any thoughts on "Mistborn"? Any good? I see it's available in the Kindle Store at a pretty reasonable price.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 11:47 AM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I've only read the first book and it is very good. I do have the 2nd but have just not gotten around to reading it.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-24-2011, 01:06 PM   #3
anjirlly
Groupie
anjirlly beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.anjirlly beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.anjirlly beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.anjirlly beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.anjirlly beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.anjirlly beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.anjirlly beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.anjirlly beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.anjirlly beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.anjirlly beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.anjirlly beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: Kindle on Android phone; PB360; Sony 950
Haven't read it myself, but I saw a bundle at the Sony store for $9.99. I'm in the U.S., so don't know if the price is different for the UK.
anjirlly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 01:17 PM   #4
Timoleon
Time Enough at Last
Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 3, iPhone 5, Kindle 3, Fire, Sony PRS-350
I've only read the first book. I'd give it three stars out of five.
Timoleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 01:19 PM   #5
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timoleon View Post
I've only read the first book. I'd give it three stars out of five.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-24-2011, 01:23 PM   #6
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
I haven't read these, Harry, but I noticed a number of references to him here on MobileRead, along with one thread, too.

Don
Dr. Drib is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 01:40 PM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks everyone. I think I'll give it a go.
Old 07-24-2011, 02:01 PM   #8
authortimmorrell
authortimmorrell began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
I actually love everything Brandon Sanderson has done, especially Mistborn. Very intelligent, thought out rules for magic, an interesting world, very realistic dialogue, epic climaxes in each book yet still cohesive in the overall series. He's probably one of the more intelligent fantasy authors out right now

Tim Morrell, author of
Psychic Curse
Hunting the Vampire
Losing Myself
authortimmorrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 06:17 PM   #9
Nancy Fulda
I write stories.
Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
YES!!!

Mistborn is the best of the three, though. The last book, especially, wallows a bit too much in its own philosophies. But Mistborn... Wow. Coolest magic concept ever. And the action scenes are pretty good, too.
Nancy Fulda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 06:42 PM   #10
GlennD
Wizard
GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS350, iPhone, iPad
I enjoyed the whole trilogy. As Tim said, the magic system is very well thought out. Harry, you said you're looking for epic fantasy - if by that you mean your typical quest/journey type book, Mistborn isn't that. It's a very good series though.

I look forward to hearing what you think of it.
GlennD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 06:59 PM   #11
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I really enjoyed the series. I picked up the first book for free from Tor (I think), and was hooked. He begins with an original premise. What if the hero of legend failed and the dark lord won? Such is the world of Mistborn.

Also, I'd really classify this as Urban Fantasy. Even though it doesn't take place in the modern day, the characters, settings and plot are all very tied into the city they live in.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 08:34 PM   #12
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I tried the first one and couldn't do it. When it comes to fantasy, I'm not big on brick-by-brick "world-building" and unfortunately... Sanderson seems to love it. Along with creating complex magic systems whose explanations represent large portions of the total word-count.

I'm not going to dwell on it; but world-builders tend to want to micromanage my reading experience. It's as if they don't trust my imagination to get their vision "just right," so they feel the overwhelming need to go all minutiae on my ass. I prefer authors who "world-hint" or employ "subliminal world-suggestion". It frees up the author to get on with story-telling and trusts the reader's imagination to do a bit of its own world-building.

But to each their own. I wish I liked Sanderson. The guy's a machine when it comes to pumping out doorstop-sized books.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 07-24-2011 at 08:37 PM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 09:02 PM   #13
Lastblade
Nookie are we
Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nooks with and without color
Way of the Kings was pretty good, but that's the only Sanderson book I have read. And it is supposed to be book 1 of a 10 book epic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I tried the first one and couldn't do it. When it comes to fantasy, I'm not big on brick-by-brick "world-building" and unfortunately... Sanderson seems to love it. Along with creating complex magic systems whose explanations represent large portions of the total word-count.

I'm not going to dwell on it; but world-builders tend to want to micromanage my reading experience. It's as if they don't trust my imagination to get their vision "just right," so they feel the overwhelming need to go all minutiae on my ass. I prefer authors who "world-hint" or employ "subliminal world-suggestion". It frees up the author to get on with story-telling and trusts the reader's imagination to do a bit of its own world-building.

But to each their own. I wish I liked Sanderson. The guy's a machine when it comes to pumping out doorstop-sized books.
If you don't like explanations, give Steven Erikson's Malazan series a shot. He just finished the 10 books epic series and I think he briefly mentioned his magic system in book 6
Lastblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 10:33 PM   #14
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lastblade
If you don't like explanations, give Steven Erikson's Malazan series a shot. He just finished the 10 books epic series and I think he briefly mentioned his magic system in book 6
Erikson's "I'm just going to throw it out there and the reader either figures it out eventually, or they don't" style of world-building (or lack thereof) is exactly the kind that I prefer. The Malazan Book of the Fallen couldn't hold my interest for ten books (no series can for that many books), but stand-alone fantasies or duologies written that way...? Yes, please.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 01:50 AM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

I've bought the trilogy from Amazon; I'll let you all know what I think about it .