Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-18-2012, 07:35 AM   #871
dannyproy
dannyproy began at the beginning.

Device: kobo touch
Performance improvements (not page turns) with sideloaded epubs

My request, supporting previous comments about adequate testing of sideloaded epubs, is for some concerted effort from the Kobo dev team to improve kobo performance during menu navigation when shelves are created with sideloaded epubs.

As an example navigating from an open book, or other menu page to the home page using the 'home' button before shelves was a couple of seconds. After creating 6 shelves of sideloaded content with 20-100 books each this can take >2 minutes.

Also going in to a shelf to review book entries can take anywhere from 30 seconds to 1 minute to load depending on the shelf size. This is significantly slower than the almost immediate response I got from using the 'show all' option on the shortlist with the 1.9.17 firmware.
dannyproy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 10:01 AM   #872
the.Mtn.Man
Guru
the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
This is probably a really silly request, but I'd love to see the sleep and power-off screens reformatted so that the percentage read bar doesn't obscure the upper portion of the book cover. Maybe move the bar to the very top of the screen and have the book cover start below that?
the.Mtn.Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-18-2012, 10:57 AM   #873
Windlord
Windlord began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
I would greatly like to have support for connecting to WPA-Enterprise, required by networks at most universities and workplaces.

I would recommend the Kobo Touch to many of my classmates but cannot due to the device's lack of support for wifi while in college. Seeing how most of their days are spent on campus, I would think a Kobo Touch would not be to their benefit.
Windlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 03:45 PM   #874
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Don't most college students have laptops with USB ports? And phones that can create WiFi hotspots are not uncommon. It's not like people have to be connected to WiFi to read a book.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 12:33 AM   #875
lar3ry
Enthusiast
lar3ry got an A in P-Chem.lar3ry got an A in P-Chem.lar3ry got an A in P-Chem.lar3ry got an A in P-Chem.lar3ry got an A in P-Chem.lar3ry got an A in P-Chem.lar3ry got an A in P-Chem.lar3ry got an A in P-Chem.lar3ry got an A in P-Chem.lar3ry got an A in P-Chem.lar3ry got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Kobo WiFi and Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by the.Mtn.Man View Post
This is probably a really silly request, but I'd love to see the sleep and power-off screens reformatted so that the percentage read bar doesn't obscure the upper portion of the book cover. Maybe move the bar to the very top of the screen and have the book cover start below that?
I'll second that request. The info bar always obscures the first line of the title when the book has a default cover supplied by Calibre.
lar3ry is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-24-2012, 07:38 AM   #876
toeragamuffin
toeragamuffin began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo touch
I don't have the time right now to read through all of these 59 pages but appreciate that this feature suggest is here. So here are my two cents:
I really want to see the PDF handle the same as the CBR while zoomed in. The CBR feature works quite well, one can zoom in and still turn the page whilst being zoomed in by touching left or right. It makes perfect sense this way since to drag and move is not impeded. Why can't PDFs handle the same way? To turn a page whilst zoomed in on PDF you have to touch to bottom menu then the move button then navigate by sliding. This slide is not even very easy to do page by page, especially on a big pdf. It is complex and time consuming when a simple touch left or right would suffice.
My second request is about sheves. I'm sure better handling of shelves is on the way given it's a new feature. What i want to see is the ability to add books to shelves from the book menu itself. You can at this point only shortcut a book but it would be ideal to be able to place it in whatever shelf it belongs directly instead of having to navivate to shelf/edit shelf/add book then find the book! Talk about over complication and time.
Thanks for reading and i eagerly look forward to the next update!

Last edited by toeragamuffin; 07-24-2012 at 08:32 AM.
toeragamuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 01:32 PM   #877
stewacide
Groupie
stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O Ed. 2, Glo HD, Glo, Touch
- I'd love some sort of RSS type feature to grab articles from websites. I know you can do this through Calibre but this should be build into the firmware IMO
- Why do i have to click "buy now" before I can even see a books price in the on-reader store? This just seems broken. Also the on-reader store should have the reviews and ratings from the web store.
- The 'collage' homescreen is ugly imo; at least offer some other options
- Browser works surprisingly well, but there should be a dedicated url keyboard without a space key, with a '.' on the main keyboard, etc. like every other modern touchscreen device has.
- It's annoying that there often seems to be a long delay when accessing the table of contents in a book: is this not being cached?
- Tiny little thing, but the "dog ear" that appears in the top right corner of pages is badly aliased. Given the nice aesthetics of everything else it sticks out.

Last edited by stewacide; 07-24-2012 at 01:46 PM.
stewacide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 06:52 AM   #878
Shai-Hulud
Silicon Book Worm
Shai-Hulud has much to be proud ofShai-Hulud has much to be proud ofShai-Hulud has much to be proud ofShai-Hulud has much to be proud ofShai-Hulud has much to be proud ofShai-Hulud has much to be proud ofShai-Hulud has much to be proud ofShai-Hulud has much to be proud ofShai-Hulud has much to be proud ofShai-Hulud has much to be proud ofShai-Hulud has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by janpeeters View Post
I agree that PDF was not ment to be reflowed, but if I was Adobe (as being the major player in PDF reading and creation software) I would quickly rethink that position.
From "Portable Document Format" on Wikipedia:
Quote:
Moreover, tagged PDFs can be re-flowed and magnified for readers with visual impairments. Problems remain with adding tags to older PDFs and those that are generated from scanned documents. In these cases, accessibility tags and re-flowing are unavailable, and must be created either manually or with OCR techniques.
It seems the ability to re-flow exists, it's down to whether the required tags are implemented in the PDF you're interested in.
Shai-Hulud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 02:24 AM   #879
timss
timss began at the beginning.

Device: kobo touch
A new way to read PDFs

On both my Android phone and computer, I can read PDFs by scrolling the pages vertically. On the phone this works very well, and makes reading PDFs much easier than on the Touch.

Turning pages when zoomed in a PDF on the Touch is painful.

I would like to set the zoom then lock the screen to scroll only vertically by swiping up or down. With a horizontal line shown between pages it would be faster, and easier to follow from one page to the next. Surely this would not be difficult to do.

How about it Kobo team?
timss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 07:07 AM   #880
Corpsegoddess
Groupie
Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Aura One
My shelf suggestions:

1. OH MY GOD PLEASE FIGURE OUT A WAY TO PRESERVE MY SHELVES SOMEWHERE. Seriously, I have set them up 3 times already, and now I have to do a fourth. Please, Kobo people, PLEASE. Upload them to a cloud. Add them to the Desktop shelves. Put them in my account. Make them a folder in my Kobo. But do something, so I can recover them if they get wiped. I'm about to enact the "Emergency Kobo-against-the-wall System" if I have to set them up again.

2. Give us a different way to view books when creating shelves. I want to be able to sort them by author as well as title. I want to view them in a larger format, like in the library--not just the one view.

3. Give us the slider button option for pagination when creating shelves, not just the arrows. I don't want to have to button-push to page through my whole list.

4. Give us the ability to add books to the shortlist directly from the library-view details menu.

5. Please add the title of the shelf to which I'm adding books, while I'm in it. I've got quite a few shelves created, and when I'm in the "add books" view, it doesn't tell me which shelf I'm in while I'm in it. Sometimes I get a brain fart and forget.

6. In the "details list" for each book in the Library view, please list to which shelves each book is assigned. This would be tremendously helpful for those of us who like to know we've assigned all books to their proper places. =P
Corpsegoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 08:55 AM   #881
Alissa
Connoisseur
Alissa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alissa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alissa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alissa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alissa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alissa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alissa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alissa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alissa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alissa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alissa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 + Story HD + Kobo Touch
Tapping on any of the sides goes to the next page

After about 10 days of reading with kobo touch, my number one wish is regarding the go to next page operation. I sometimes hold my kobo with my left hand and sometimes with my right hand. When I hold with my left hand to read an English book, I need to swipe outward on the screen with my left thumb. It is a difficult operation and I frequently fail to do appropriately, causing the screen to go to the previous page but next. It is frustrating.

I believe you euro/american users already know what I'm talking about, but here is another problem in Japan.

Some Japanese ebooks are set in vertical-writing, meaning each line is placed vertically that you read top to bottom, and you read lines from the right most line on the page to the left. It is a traditional Japanese book style. When kt shows you a Japanese ebook in vertical-writing, it flips the meaning of next and prevous; you need to tap on the left to go to the next page, and tapping on the right leads you to the previous page. It is very confusing and irritating. AND we have a swipe problem at the same time.

Simply making a tap on any of the two sides to go always to the next page seems a better way. A configurable option to do so seems a good enhancement.
Alissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 01:55 PM   #882
andyh234
andyh234 can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.andyh234 can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.andyh234 can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.andyh234 can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.andyh234 can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.andyh234 can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.andyh234 can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.andyh234 can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.andyh234 can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.andyh234 can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.andyh234 can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.

Thai Fonts

Hi
Hello everyone just got a Kobo Touch and my wife wants one too however
I do not seem be be able to get Thai Fonts to work on it as they do not show up in the font list when I load them onto the Touch in a folders I have called Fonts.
Is it I am doing something wrong or will it simply not see them until I put a thai ebook on the touch.

If they are not recognised would be be possible in a future release to have Thai language

Thanks

Andy
andyh234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 02:34 PM   #883
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Folder should be fonts ; not Fonts

See https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=146031 for some discussion and also https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...5&postcount=46 for info on how fonts should be named.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 03:22 PM   #884
MacEachaidh
Browser
MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura HD
One point I'd like to add to Corpsegoddess' list above (thumbs up, Corpsegoddess! ) :

7. Please don't have previews downloaded onto the KT show up in the book list when creating shelves. They don't show up in the Library, so why in the Shelves?
MacEachaidh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 03:43 PM   #885
andyh234
andyh234 can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.andyh234 can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.andyh234 can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.andyh234 can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.andyh234 can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.andyh234 can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.andyh234 can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.andyh234 can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.andyh234 can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.andyh234 can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.andyh234 can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.

Hi
Peter
Thanks so much for that Yippee it works now.

Andy
andyh234 is offline   Reply With Quote