Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-21-2010, 09:09 AM   #1
belum2aj
belum2aj began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone
Kindle for Christmas (international)

Hi,
I'm from Czech Republic and desperatly want to buy myself a brand new Kindle 3g for christmas.
Unfortunately amazon is out of stock for international customers

Do you (especially you non-US users) please have an indea of how to get it here in time?
I have a friend travelling to NY at tuesday but she is staying at a hotel and I believe you can't order kindle with an address like that, can you?
Alternatively I was checking ebay...what do you think about this way of purchasing it? Will the unit work outside the US? And what about warranty? The price seems ok...

Thank you in advance for answering.
Pls for the sake of the Christmas Spirit You will make one european boy's christmas very very happy!

Last edited by belum2aj; 11-21-2010 at 09:25 AM.
belum2aj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 09:37 AM   #2
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Welcome to MobileRead, belum2aj.

First, be very cautious about buying from ebay......right now there are lots of scams out there, and you could be stuck with nothing for your money.

Second, if your friend is in New York, he/she could possibly buy one from a target or best buy, but make sure its an international version, and you can register it when you get it home.

If this is not possible, your best bet is to just have patience.....the K3 is worth the wait.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-21-2010, 09:49 AM   #3
Bratzzo
Addict
Bratzzo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bratzzo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bratzzo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bratzzo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bratzzo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bratzzo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bratzzo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bratzzo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bratzzo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bratzzo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bratzzo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Hi,

if you / your friend stay long enough at the hotel to Receive the Kindle before you / she leave, then it is possible that the Kindle is sent to the hotel.

Bratzzo
Bratzzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 10:15 AM   #4
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
ditto to Desert Grandma, stay away from ebay Kindles. I used to travel a lot for work and quite often had things sent to me at hotels, this should not be a problem
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 10:45 AM   #5
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
Amazon UK seems to have some left if you can buy from there.
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-21-2010, 01:28 PM   #6
subarux
subarux began at the beginning.

Device: kindle & iphone
Yes, amazon UK have both 3G and wifi K3 to sell. Maybe the shipping cost from UK to Czech will be cheaper than from USA to Czech.
(It's around 50$ extra for shipping and VAT sent from US to Germany)
subarux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 01:40 PM   #7
Tiersten
Guru
Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Kindle 3G+WiFi
Can you buy from Amazon UK to ship elsewhere? The Amazon UK page tells you to go to Amazon US if you want to buy a Kindle that is to be sent outside of the UK.

The Kindle 3G+WiFi in Czech republic appears to have the browser restrictions when using cell connection. The Amazon US page lists it as only supporting Wikipedia and the Kindle store via the cell connection. You have to use WiFi for other browsing.

If you order a Kindle from the US and have it sent to the Czech Republic then it doesn't come with a charger. You can use any good quality USB charger however as the Kindle one isn't particularly special.

The US Kindle 3G+WiFi or the international Kindle 3G+WiFi should both work in the Czech Republic. The issue appears to be whether you get the US or international version. Amazon's US Kindle (AT&T) coverage map shows it as being supported but only has 3G in the what I assume are the major cities. The rest of the country is GPRS/EDGE only. The international Kindle (Vodafone) however only supports GPRS/EDGE speeds everywhere including the major cities.

If you're going to be buying a Kindle then get the US version or get it sent from the US. They'll automatically give you the most suitable Kindle for your country which should be US version. Don't get the UK/"international" version as you'll end up stuck with GPRS/EDGE. This is currently true anyway. Amazon may change it in the future.

Last edited by Tiersten; 11-21-2010 at 01:47 PM.
Tiersten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 01:57 PM   #8
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
I don't think you can order from the UK for shipping to Czech Republic.

I second having Amazon ship to your friend's hotel. Most hotels will happily accept packages for their guests.
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 04:30 PM   #9
Pushka
Wizard
Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, Ipad, Iphone, Nexus and PPW
I had a kindle shipped to my hotel in Boston, just three weeks ago (I live in Australia). It arrived within a day or two. I also ordered a cover while waiting in Sydney airport; by the time I got to the hotel 24 hours later, it too had arrived. Just make sure you get the hotel address correctly, and care of your friend.

I bought a US version which works perfectly in Australia, 3G excellent.

I also sell kindles on eBay.com.au and I am perfectly legitimate. I have a sale on right now. And many people bidding.

Last edited by Pushka; 11-21-2010 at 04:35 PM.
Pushka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 04:37 PM   #10
Tiersten
Guru
Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.

Get your friend to check with the hotel first just in case. It should be fine but you don't want them rejecting the package delivery for some random reason.
Old 11-21-2010, 04:41 PM   #11
belum2aj
belum2aj began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone
As the hotel doesn't accept deliveries of their guests I'm currently looking into the option of buying it in the retail shop.
I've searched for kindle on bestbuy, but according to their web, they got only covers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiersten View Post
The Kindle 3G+WiFi in Czech republic appears to have the browser restrictions when using cell connection. The Amazon US page lists it as only supporting Wikipedia and the Kindle store via the cell connection. You have to use WiFi for other browsing.
Pls can you provide a link for this statement?

Anyways, thank you all for being so quick with your helpful replies
I really look forward to be a part of this community
belum2aj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 04:44 PM   #12
Pushka
Wizard
Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, Ipad, Iphone, Nexus and PPW
Is she in New York? Staples has them, they have signs everywhere. I think there was a Staples down near Macy's on 43rd street somewhere And tell her Hotel to start providing some customer service.
Pushka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 04:50 PM   #13
Tiersten
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by belum2aj View Post
Pls can you provide a link for this statement?
Kindle 3G+WiFi for Czech Republic.

Click the "View country specific information" link in the "Select Your Primary Country of Use" box and it should popup a window. It mentions "Access Wikipedia via Whispernet on the experimental web browser. Access other websites like Google via a Wi-Fi connection. Blogs can also be downloaded via a Wi-Fi connection."

The coverage maps I linked to earlier should show you the difference between the AT&T (US) and Vodafone (International) models with the 3G support. The Czech Republic country information page for the Kindle links to the international version coverage map and not the US version coverage map. Hopefully that is just because its a fixed link and that they're not actually giving you the international version if you did mailorder it direct from Amazon. You need to clarify with Amazon about this if you do purchase one via mailorder.

Last edited by Tiersten; 11-21-2010 at 04:54 PM.
Old 11-21-2010, 05:04 PM   #14
slm
Fool
slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle PW1, Kobo Glo HD, Nook Glowlight Plus ...
If your friend is visiting the US, the Kindle is sold at Staples and he can buy it immediately. Most major cities have many Staples stores.

However, please note that the 3g version sold in the US may not provide free 3g service in your country.
slm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 06:16 PM   #15
Tiersten
Guru

One thing you might want to check is whether there is a cell delivery fee for Kindle store items. Some countries have an extra delivery fee of $2 for every item delivered via the cell connection to your Kindle. This means that "free" books end up costing you $2 even if they're free elsewhere.

The fee might be present due to the fact that the browser has the restrictions in the Czech Republic.