Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 03-22-2011, 12:11 PM   #1
MrsJoseph
Loves Ellipsis...
MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wifi (broken), nook STR (returned), Kobo Touch, Sony T1
Kobo Desktop erased entire device database! - Don't dowload update

I was trying to update to the new software and so I plugged into the desktop and tried to sync my device. I unplugged it and then I plugged it in again. Now my entire database has been erased!! I'm so upset!

I contacted Kobo CS and they were able to help me reset and get back the 100 free books and the books I purchased from Kobo (I have to go home and sideload the rest via Calibre). The CS rep told me that the update is having bug issues and that it would be best to wait a while (no time frame given) prior to trying to use the new update.

So... update if you like but beware.
MrsJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 01:35 PM   #2
siraks
use the force
siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Lenovo K1
i haven't experienced this but i did have to reload my side loaded books twice. good thing i only have 18 or so loaded. one thing for sure is i don't use the kobo desktop app at all. i used it to get the upgrade and that's it.

i use ade, without my kobo plugged in, to download my books that i purchase.
after closing ade i open up calibre and load all of my books through that, even the ones i purchase.
seems a lot easier than using the other applications that seemed to cause my problems and i haven't experienced any major problems yet.
siraks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-22-2011, 02:25 PM   #3
baronrus
Addict
baronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with others

Device: KO, KW, and KT
Sorry to hear that, on a positive note I upgraded and had no issues what so ever, my data base is exactly as it was.
baronrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 06:36 AM   #4
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsJoseph View Post
The CS rep told me that the update is having bug issues and that it would be best to wait a while (no time frame given) prior to trying to use the new update.

So... update if you like but beware.
I'm betting that if a supervisor was monitoring that call the rep would be in big trouble for going off script and telling you that. Level 1 support people are sometimes pretty clueless. There are often unexpected bugs that don't show up until after release--and there is a list of known problems that occur for some folks, but not for most, which may or may not be addressed by a tweak to the update. Seeing how things are playing out, I would not use the updated reader with the desktop until I had 1.9 desktop, too. Other then that, the vast majority of folks will not have problems with the update in its current form. In any case, the sky is not falling.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 10:23 AM   #5
MrsJoseph
Loves Ellipsis...
MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
I'm betting that if a supervisor was monitoring that call the rep would be in big trouble for going off script and telling you that. Level 1 support people are sometimes pretty clueless. There are often unexpected bugs that don't show up until after release--and there is a list of known problems that occur for some folks, but not for most, which may or may not be addressed by a tweak to the update. Seeing how things are playing out, I would not use the updated reader with the desktop until I had 1.9 desktop, too. Other then that, the vast majority of folks will not have problems with the update in its current form. In any case, the sky is not falling.
You're probably right about being in trouble - but I appreciate that they were trying to be helpful.

I actually downloaded the newest desktop app on yesterday prior to trying the update...

I tried again when I got home but the same thing happened. I'm starting to think that my device just won't accept the update.

I wanted to get back into reading the books I was in the middle of (all side loaded via Calibre) so I'm just not going to try again anytime soon. I don't know if my poor heart can take the stress, lol.
Advert
Old 03-23-2011, 10:34 AM   #6
ltr
Addict
ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.

Device: Kindle PW-2
Quote:
Originally Posted by 'Mrs.Joseph"
so I'm just not going to try again anytime soon.
I don't think you have the time anyway, considering you've read 47 books this year.

That's a lot of reading.
ltr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 10:55 AM   #7
MrsJoseph
Loves Ellipsis...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltr View Post
I don't think you have the time anyway, considering you've read 47 books this year.

That's a lot of reading.

I'm loving it, too I am a rather serious

And as fast as I've been I've met people on Goodreads who've read much much faster than me (and bigger books!). One guy read The Wise Man's Fear in one night! I'm still working on The Name of the Wind, lol.
Old 03-23-2011, 11:06 AM   #8
ltr
Addict
ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.

Quote:
One guy read The Wise Man's Fear in one night! I'm still working on The Name of the Wind, lol.
Yeah, I just finished Freedom by Jonathan Franzen. A very long book that seemed to go on forever..
Old 03-23-2011, 11:30 AM   #9
MrsJoseph
Loves Ellipsis...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltr View Post
Yeah, I just finished Freedom by Jonathan Franzen. A very long book that seemed to go on forever..
I just checked out the summary... it sounds long. Did you enjoy it?
Old 03-23-2011, 11:38 AM   #10
ltr
Addict

Quote:
I just checked out the summary... it sounds long. Did you enjoy it?
Yeah, it's a great book. Makes me want to try another one from him..