Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 12-08-2009, 06:28 AM   #1
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
break out your favorite Christmas morning refreshments!!! share your new nook fun!!!

I'm so excited!!! I can't wait to read you guys experiencing your new toys!

break out the cocoa, and your favorite holiday cheer and tell us what it is like!
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 10:15 AM   #2
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
I'm so excited!!! I can't wait to read you guys experiencing your new toys!

break out the cocoa, and your favorite holiday cheer and tell us what it is like!
This is a great idea, KK!
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 02:09 PM   #3
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
it doesn't seem to be working
Old 12-08-2009, 02:14 PM   #4
ifonline
Connoisseur
ifonline began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3, iPad
I would be glad to post about my father's positive experiences so far (his arrived about 30 minutes ago), but between the cussing over the slow reaction of the on-screen keyboard/e-ink display and the inability of the Nook to connect and register via wireless, nothing exciting has happened. He's not terribly thrilled at the moment though, that's for sure...
ifonline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 02:16 PM   #5
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Well, that doesn't sound like a promising start.

Is there a number he can call to speak with an agent?
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 02:17 PM   #6
jmaloney
Connoisseur
jmaloney has learned how to read e-booksjmaloney has learned how to read e-booksjmaloney has learned how to read e-booksjmaloney has learned how to read e-booksjmaloney has learned how to read e-booksjmaloney has learned how to read e-booksjmaloney has learned how to read e-books

Device: Sony Reader Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by ifonline View Post
I would be glad to post about my father's positive experiences so far (his arrived about 30 minutes ago), but between the cussing over the slow reaction of the on-screen keyboard/e-ink display and the inability of the Nook to connect and register via wireless, nothing exciting has happened. He's not terribly thrilled at the moment though, that's for sure...
Once you get it connected and registered, the update that B&N pushed out last night should resolve the slowness you're seeing currently.
jmaloney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 02:23 PM   #7
ifonline
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
Well, that doesn't sound like a promising start.

Is there a number he can call to speak with an agent?
Not sure. He has left the office, so I'll just leave that up to him. It took him 15 minutes of type-type-type... damn. Backspace-backspace... damn, too far. Type-type... damn, where did the cursor go? just to enter his e-mail address and password, and for all of that frustration the thing wasn't even able to register.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmaloney View Post
Once you get it connected and registered, the update that B&N pushed out last night should resolve the slowness you're seeing currently.
I have been seeing discussions about this update, so I am hopeful that you are correct. If so, and while I believe the unit should have shipped with this update, B&N has done well to get the update out quickly.

I'll post more once the dust has settled.
Old 12-08-2009, 02:38 PM   #8
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress

this may help some of the new users (maybe). in my haste to experience my first Kindle, I started playing with it right away. let it get a good charge if necessary!
Old 12-08-2009, 02:46 PM   #9
ifonline
Connoisseur

Doubtful this has anything to do with charge. There is a definite lag between touching the screen and having anything happen. I'm not even referring to the e-ink screen... I mean on the Android screen.

My father owns a Sony PRS-600 that he uses every day. He has no complaints about that device, but being a technology freak, he wanted to try the Nook. He can navigate around the 600 without issue, but he is having a heck of a time with the Nook. I'm wondering if the firmware update will help...

We finally got it registered through WiFi. Why it would not work on 3G I have no idea. Our phones work just fine via AT&T, so the service is fine in the area. Something odd going on there. Nevertheless, the device is registered. Now I need to figure out how to get it to update to the latest firmware.
Old 12-08-2009, 03:04 PM   #10
binkman71
Enthusiast
binkman71 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.binkman71 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.binkman71 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.binkman71 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-505; nook
I'd be happy to break out the treats...if I even had a shipping notice yet. However, since this will be replacing my Sony Reader, I'm only mildly annoyed. I am in that batch that should have shipped on the 30th, and was told should be in my hands by tomorrow.
binkman71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 11:11 AM   #11
binkman71
Enthusiast
binkman71 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.binkman71 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.binkman71 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.binkman71 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-505; nook
So my nook arrived today! Yay!

But can I say, having a package that requires instructions on how to get your gadget out of it...um...wtf? Time to rethink the box, I think. hehehe

K.
binkman71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 11:46 AM   #12
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress

wow! that's erm... interesting!
Old 12-09-2009, 11:58 AM   #13
m42
Enthusiast
m42 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle fire and paperwhite, Ipad mini and Retina, Note 2, Nook tab,HD
I got mine yesterday. Last night it was very slow. Today its much snappier. However, when I put it to sleep sometimes it shuts off completely and sometimes it wakes back up. Hopefully this is something that will be fixed soon. I had no problem registering. I bought 2 books appeared almost instantly. Faster than my kindle.
m42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 12:05 PM   #14
Madam Broshkina
Manic Do Fuse
Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 500, 505, 350, Kindle 3, DXG, nook, Irex DR800SG, iPad
I discovered something interesting while playing along with the nook. Normally the nook will display the title of the book on the top on the left side, on the right side is the page number displayed as 95 | 580. On the bottom is a bar marking the location in the book. Once in a while when I change the font the book reopens without showing the location bar and the page number. When in this mode the page turns are noticeably faster. After about 5 or 6 page turns the location bar and page numbers show back up again and the page turns slow down again. It seems soemthing like this would be easy to fix.
Madam Broshkina is offline   Reply With Quote