Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-30-2013, 04:04 AM   #1
bawldiggle
anything is possible
bawldiggle can read with one handbawldiggle can read with one handbawldiggle can read with one handbawldiggle can read with one handbawldiggle can read with one handbawldiggle can read with one handbawldiggle can read with one handbawldiggle can read with one handbawldiggle can read with one handbawldiggle can read with one handbawldiggle can read with one hand

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Charge indicator, is there a progress bar.

My very first post/thread.

Just unpacked my Kobo Aura HD.
Connected Kobo to PC USB port to charge the Kobo.
Quote:
Welcome to Kobo
Setup over WiFi
Setup with your computer
How do I know when the Kobo is fully charged. ?

The PC is set to "Sleep" after 20 minutes.
Will the Kobo continue to be charged while the PC is asleep ?

Retailer told me not to use AC charger, but I notice on the Kobo web site there is a travel charger.
Can I use my Samsung Travel Adapter -- AC charger?
The travel adapter has a USB port on it
Input: 100-240v -- 50-60Hz 0.15A
Output: 5.0V @ 1.A
I searched the web for a Kobo User Manual. No luck!

Must I connect the Kobo using WiFi or can I use USB only?
ie, is the setup WiFi and PC ... OR ... WiFi or PC/USB

I assumed I cannot do any setups until the Kobo is fully charged.
Four hours via USB according to the inadequate brochure that came with the Kobo.

I would apprecaite any help -- thank you
bawldiggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 04:28 AM   #2
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Yep, you can use other chargers - I routinely use either an iPhone wall charger or a plain power/USB adapter.

It's best not to have your device plugged in to a sleeping PC - not only might this not charge, but it can even drain charge from your device.

Via a wall charger it shouldn't take more than 15-20 minutes or so. Longer from a computer USB slot. Just turn the device on and check the charge level (the level displayed on a statis/sleeping screen may not reflect the current charge).

I find Wifi setup far less troublesome. There's no need for the Kobo Desktop app at all that way.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 08:15 AM   #3
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
On my pc, i can charge via usb when its turned off. However that is an advanced feature only found on a limited number of motherboards. a

When sleeping most computers shut down power sources such as usb to save energy costs. You may be able to alter that via power settings features in windows

Good luck

Regards

Jack
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 01:57 PM   #4
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawldiggle View Post
How do I know when the Kobo is fully charged. ?
If the Kobo is sleeping, you will see a battery percentage on the sleep screen when it is connected to a charger. Otherwise, you can check the battery level by tapping on the 3 bars in the upper right corner of the home screen.

Quote:
The PC is set to "Sleep" after 20 minutes.
Will the Kobo continue to be charged while the PC is asleep ?
That depends on your computer and BIOS settings. My laptop has one USB port that can supply power even when the laptop is powered off.

Quote:
Retailer told me not to use AC charger, but I notice on the Kobo web site there is a travel charger.
Can I use my Samsung Travel Adapter -- AC charger?
The travel adapter has a USB port on it
Input: 100-240v -- 50-60Hz 0.15A
Output: 5.0V @ 1.A
You'd be safe using that wall charger with your Kobo. I've used everything from a 5v 500mA car charger to a iPad 5.1V 2.1A charger with my Aura HD.

Quote:
I searched the web for a Kobo User Manual. No luck!
There is a pdf user manual but it's pretty pathetic. You can find it at:
http://download.kobobooks.com/magent...erguide_en.pdf

Quote:
Must I connect the Kobo using WiFi or can I use USB only?
ie, is the setup WiFi and PC ... OR ... WiFi or PC/USB

I assumed I cannot do any setups until the Kobo is fully charged.
Four hours via USB according to the inadequate brochure that came with the Kobo.
It's OR. You can setup over WiFi or use the PC and Kobo Desktop App. Fully charged is not necessary. Anything over 50% should be safe. If you setup connected to your computer, most of the process will take place while your Kobo is charging. Last time I did a factory reset, the battery dropped about 15% during the WiFi setup which included the firmware upgrade.

Regards,
David
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote