Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 01-12-2013, 07:32 PM   #15181
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
It's not that long. Just seems that way.
Not enjoying it are you?

This will be my first Jane Austen novel. Not exactly sure what to expect. I'm guessing its a good thing that I prefer the (British) English dictionary over the American one. I imagine it will come in handy.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 01:01 AM   #15182
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
Soul Identity was an interesting story with interesting characters, and also included a neat mystery. I'll get the sequel, Soul Intent and add it to my TBR list.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreams View Post
I read both of these when the author (member denbatch) popped on to MR in response to a post in 2009. I really liked the first one and the second was good, but I liked the first one best.
Thanks. I've had this in my library for ages. Of course being in my library may mean sitting until thousands of other books, but recommendations do help a title to be given another look.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 01:20 AM   #15183
maianhvk
whimsical
maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: current: PPW 4. brick: K3 & Voyage.
You guys have been doing A LOT of reading

I'm (still) reading Mémoires d'Hadrien by Marguerite Yourcenar and it is superb. I believe it's one of the most beautiful writings I've ever read.

The Old Patagonian Express by Paul Theroux: he's got this arrogant attitude but I think it's part of the charm.

And I'll jump into a new fantasy series/book now. Any recommendation? It's been a while since... oh I forgot the last time I read good fantasy
maianhvk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 04:30 AM   #15184
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Next up: Man-Kzin Wars XIII created by Larry Niven.
This was OK. The stories should have been interesting - perhaps I'm tired - but I didn't find it compelling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maianhvk View Post
And I'll jump into a new fantasy series/book now. Any recommendation? It's been a while since... oh I forgot the last time I read good fantasy
Magician by Raymond E. Feist is good, as a classic coming-of-age epic fantasy in a fantasy world. The start of a series of series.

The Spirit Ring by Lois McMaster Bujold is excellent if you'd rather have a stand-alone rather than the start of a series, and is a historical magical fantasy.

Enchantment by Orson Scott Card is good for a more present-day, real-world fantasy and is also a stand-alone.

So You Want To Be A Wizard by Diane Duane is the first of a great series of Young Adult fantasy novels, also set in the present-day, real-world.

Last edited by pdurrant; 01-13-2013 at 06:38 AM.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 06:30 AM   #15185
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by maianhvk View Post
[...]And I'll jump into a new fantasy series/book now. Any recommendation? It's been a while since... oh I forgot the last time I read good fantasy
It's such a wide open field - but seeing that pdurrant offered at least one that I consider a classic ("Magician"), I thought I'd suggest two other "classic" recommendations if you haven't tried them before:

David Eddings' series The Belgariad (5 books, first is "Pawn of Prophecy") and the sequel The Malloreon (5 books). Light, easy reading, what these days would probably be published as young adult, but fun with good touches of humour. (Though I suggest you stop at those ten books and ignore "Belgarath the Sorcerer" and "Polgara the Sorceress". Nor is this a recommendation for Eddings in general, just that particular series.)

At the other end of the scale are The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant the Unbeliever by Stephen Donaldson - first book of the trilogy is "Lord Foul's Bane". Immense, serious, and spectacular ... but it's one of those love-hate things. Some people really don't like them, but I still think the series, including what follows after, are some of the best fantasy I've ever read. (I've not read the ebook versions of these, but from what I heard, early releases had issues, I presume they've been tidied up since.)
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 06:56 AM   #15186
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw View Post

At the other end of the scale are The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant the Unbeliever by Stephen Donaldson - first book of the trilogy is "Lord Foul's Bane". Immense, serious, and spectacular ... but it's one of those love-hate things. Some people really don't like them, but I still think the series, including what follows after, are some of the best fantasy I've ever read. (I've not read the ebook versions of these, but from what I heard, early releases had issues, I presume they've been tidied up since.)
OH WOW! THERE ARE EBOOKS! WHY DIDN'T SOMEONE TELL ME!

Time to purchase and re-read. I loved this (at least the first trilogy) My favorite reluctant/anti-hero!

Oh Wow, the Library even has them....I'm on the waiting list. Woo-Hoo! What a nice birthday present!

Last edited by kennyc; 01-13-2013 at 07:02 AM.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 07:52 AM   #15187
maianhvk
whimsical
maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw View Post
David Eddings' series The Belgariad [...] and the sequel The Malloreon

At the other end of the scale are The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant the Unbeliever by Stephen Donaldson - first book of the trilogy is "Lord Foul's Bane".
Both are already on the TBR list. But thanks. I'll start Feist's Magician and Eddings' Belgariad first thing
Old 01-13-2013, 07:57 AM   #15188
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Man-Kzin Wars XIII created by Larry Niven.
I forgot to say what I was reading next, which was Deviations: Covenant by Elissa Malchon,

The writing's OK, and the premise is interesting (two sentient species, one dependent on an essential vitamin found only (since the extinction of previously eaten species) in the other.

Unfortunately, I just can't believe in the covenant that the two species have come to, as described (in-story) in the first couple of chapters of the book.

So, on to: The Alchemyst by Michael Scott. A YA novel I bought way back in May 2009, but I'm pretty sure I haven't read yet.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 07:57 AM   #15189
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
...I'm reading The Pines by Blake Crouch, a story I'm told by folks in the "Best twist?" thread has a killer jaw-dropping surprise.
Hope I haven't oversold it, but there do seem to be a lot a people that have really enjoyed The Pines.

I'm currently reading The Monster of Florence by Douglas Preston & Mario Spezi, a recommendation from @usuallee in the True Crime thread. Absorbing and well written account of a serial killer who was supposedly the basis for Harris's Hannibal Lecter.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 08:32 AM   #15190
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa View Post
This will be my first Jane Austen novel. Not exactly sure what to expect. I'm guessing its a good thing that I prefer the (British) English dictionary over the American one. I imagine it will come in handy.
It's not the best one to start with, IMHO. "Sense and Sensibility" and "Pride and Prejudice" are both a lot more "accessible" for the modern reader.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 08:48 AM   #15191
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
It's not the best one to start with, IMHO. "Sense and Sensibility" and "Pride and Prejudice" are both a lot more "accessible" for the modern reader.
Could explain why they're so popular.

Oh Well. I have Jane Austen: The Complete Collection so I can go back and read the others when I find the time.
Old 01-13-2013, 08:53 AM   #15192
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

If you're not familiar with early 19th century British society, you may find it easier to get a version with footnotes, such as the "Penguin Classics" editions, or else you may struggle slightly. One very useful thing to know, for example, is that when someone is called "Miss X", where "X" is the surname, this always refers to the eldest daughter of the family. Younger daughters will always be referred to by their Christian names. If you don't know this, you may get confused about who's being referred to.
Old 01-13-2013, 09:06 AM   #15193
Nyssa
Series Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
If you're not familiar with early 19th century British society, you may find it easier to get a version with footnotes, such as the "Penguin Classics" editions, or else you may struggle slightly. One very useful thing to know, for example, is that when someone is called "Miss X", where "X" is the surname, this always refers to the eldest daughter of the family. Younger daughters will always be referred to by their Christian names. If you don't know this, you may get confused about who's being referred to.
Oh. Thank you!

I haven't read much, just the standard Dickens tales, really, and that was eons ago (except for A Christmas Carol which I read for the book club the year before last). I actually have a quite a bit on my TBR, which doesn't help much.
Old 01-13-2013, 12:27 PM   #15194
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Just finished "Skyfall" by Harry Harrison. "Prometheus" is the largest rocket ever built - a joint US/Soviet mission to place a solar power generator in orbit. But something goes wrong after launch, and the spacecraft is left in a decaying orbit, with only a day until it re-enters the atmosphere and falls to Earth with potentially catastrophic consequences. Can the crew restart the engines and save things?

A very good read - thoroughly enjoyable. A little spoilt by the fact that it's full of OCR errors. I've written to the publisher to complain.
Old 01-13-2013, 01:10 PM   #15195
maianhvk
whimsical

Quote:
So, on to: The Alchemyst by Michael Scott. A YA novel I bought way back in May 2009, but I'm pretty sure I haven't read yet.
Don't even bother, Durrant. It might be kind of interesting at first, but things get really, really boring later on. I had to quit after 3 books.