Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 03-02-2012, 01:53 PM   #16
bill_mchale
Wizard
bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, HPC Evo 4G LTE
I think the key words here are 'big money'. As much as I like electronic paper, I am not sure it is a mature technology yet. It works great if you want to display black and white static images, not so much for anything else. As a result, I think LG probably is interested in dipping its toes in, but it doesn't expect a big jump in the market... not at least until color epaper gets much, much better (both in terms of contrast, color and refresh rates).

--
Bill
bill_mchale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 04:52 PM   #17
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill_mchale View Post
I think the key words here are 'big money'. As much as I like electronic paper, I am not sure it is a mature technology yet. It works great if you want to display black and white static images, not so much for anything else. As a result, I think LG probably is interested in dipping its toes in, but it doesn't expect a big jump in the market... not at least until color epaper gets much, much better (both in terms of contrast, color and refresh rates).

--
Bill
Uh-huh.
It is early in the history of the commercial ebook business. We're just coming out of the hobbyist/enthusiast era in the bigger markets but many haven't even started to mainstream.
There is no way to know how the market will shake down for the long haul.
(That's one reason why I find all the Amazon-bashing amusing: ebooks still make up only 10-20% of the entire industry.)

Current eInk displays are useful but there is no guarantee that the evolution of reader devices will remain tied to it for the long haul, just as there is no guarantee that Mobi or epub will be the last word in ebooks.
(Check this for an interesting development: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=170899)
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 07:59 AM   #18
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
another video - towards the end, highlitghing and annotating look pretty fast:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xsDKy...eature=related
and if you can understand Russian/Ukranian, links to the manuals:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/43572443/%D0...0%BE%D0%BC.pdf
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/43572443/%D0...ok%20Touch.pdf
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 06:27 AM   #19
doublezed
doublezed has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.doublezed has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.doublezed has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.doublezed has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Leggo IBS - a.k.a. PocketBook 603
I thinks i will wait for Mirasol displays. Kyobo is lovely and with it's front light can be read in the dark
doublezed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 08:17 AM   #20
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublezed View Post
I thinks i will wait for Mirasol displays. Kyobo is lovely and with it's front light can be read in the dark
Qualcomm seems to be wavering in their commitment to Mirasol. They've recently bought a competitor that is LCD-based.

http://www.the-digital-reader.com/20...ol-competitor/
Old 03-16-2012, 01:09 PM   #21
doublezed
doublezed has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.doublezed has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.doublezed has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.doublezed has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Leggo IBS - a.k.a. PocketBook 603
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
Qualcomm seems to be wavering in their commitment to Mirasol. They've recently bought a competitor that is LCD-based.

http://www.the-digital-reader.com/20...ol-competitor/
Thanks for the (maybe bad) news. I don't think Mirasol will be abandoned. A recent news (http://www.qualcomm.com/media/releas...ing-mirasol--0) let us hope that they are looking for new markets for Mirasol so the project is not abandoned.
I read something about Qualcomm intentions to enter tablet market (don't know where and maybe my memory fails... again! ) so (maybe!) this bought is for proposing a low power tablet with longlife battery. We all know about tablets poor battery life

So... i continue my waiting and in the meanwhile
doublezed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 08:17 AM   #22
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer

Well, eink devices do spoil you for battery life since they do deliver 30-40 hrs of reading time. But realistically, anything in the 10-15 hour range would suffice for a color reader. And that is within range of near-term LCD display tech. Maybe even 20 hrs.
Which explains Qualcomm buying up Pixtronix.
If they can really deliver LCD-grade screen at a quarter of the battery power of existing screen then something like a Pocketbook IQ could reach 20-24 hr battery life and render reflective screens moot for everything except outdoors reading.
Big, if, of course.
But with Apple stuffing 47 W-hr worth of battery into their New iPad to get 10 hrs use and other vendors now under pressure to move to higher-res screens there will be a clear need for new battery or display tech or both for next gen tablets.
If Qualcomm expects Mirasol to get even a fraction of that market they'll have to increase saturation and resolution dramatically.
And the same goes for color eink.

They both have maybe a year to get a better color product out to market if they expect to get any kind of significant business, so the wait won't be long. (Or it'll be moot.)
Old 03-17-2012, 03:34 PM   #23
Yar-PocketBooker
Fanatic
Yar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: PocketBooks and Onyxes and anything E-Ink...
Unfortunately, it won't be imported to the US... afaik...(((
Yar-PocketBooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 03:58 PM   #24
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yar-PocketBooker View Post
Unfortunately, it won't be imported to the US... afaik...(((
Do you mean the PocketBook 622, or something else?
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 04:47 PM   #25
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
New video review

There is a new video review at Youtube.
I have found it through the-ebook.org forum
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 05:12 PM   #26
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

thanks, looks really good - pity it does not seem to be available either in the US or in western Europe yet...
Old 03-22-2012, 05:21 PM   #27
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paola View Post
thanks, looks really good - pity it does not seem to be available either in the US or in western Europe yet...
On this Czech page they claim that they will have the devices soon. Price is 4199CZK - Czech Crowns, that is about 170Eur.
http://www.ebook-ctecky.cz/pocketboo...622-cerny-p131
Old 03-22-2012, 05:39 PM   #28
troll05
Harmless idiot
troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB622, Nexus7, Sony PRS 350, Tolino und nur noch wenig toter Baum:(
It can't be too long until available in Europe,it's already on their homepage and Forkosigan told me a few weeks ago hey plan to sell it in Germany at the end of March, so I expect it to ba available latest at pentecost
troll05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 05:05 AM   #29
paola
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by troll05 View Post
It can't be too long until available in Europe,it's already on their homepage and Forkosigan told me a few weeks ago hey plan to sell it in Germany at the end of March, so I expect it to ba available latest at pentecost
very interesting: can't wait for a review from a user!
Old 03-24-2012, 04:44 AM   #30
kacir
Wizard

Yet another series of Youtube videos

I am excited the same way as I was when I have discovered the legendary PB301 with its many unique features.
Look here for series of short videos by PocketBook employee mkunderenko
http://www.youtube.com/user/mkundere...e=results_main

I have discovered it through this post.
http://www.the-ebook.org/forum/viewt...=881204#881204
Use translate.google.com to translate it. Well worth the read.

Just start watching following video and watch all 10 short videos. Do not miss pinch zoom and pan on pdf. *Very* impressive. On pdf you can select the margins to be removed interactively. Also watch multitasking. Notice how she opens user manual and clicks on url link and the browser with obreey store is opened. Then she proceeds to switch between several opened documents and browser. The switch is almost instantaneous.

The videos are available in many resolutions up to 1080p so click on Youtube symbol in the above video and select the highest resolution .