Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 02-01-2011, 12:58 PM   #1
c3clark
c3clark began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Free Kobo books?

I've had my kobo for a few months now. I see kobo ads where they say 1.8 million free books for kobo. How do you find these? When I look up free books, there's maybe 300 or so, but that's also including the 100 free classics. Are there any sites like kindle has where they send you an email everyday announcing the newly listed free books?
c3clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 01:04 PM   #2
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
That only gives you the most popular free books, you can access other books by searching.

Last edited by The Terminator; 01-02-2012 at 06:31 PM.
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 03:56 PM   #3
coinín
dust bunny
coinín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coinín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coinín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coinín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coinín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coinín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coinín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coinín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coinín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coinín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coinín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo WiFi, Sony PRS-650, BlackBerry PlayBook
Project Gutenberg is quite good- 33k+ freebies.
Not all of them will be epub or pdf, but Calibre can convert nearly all of them to formats the Kobo likes. It's not hard at all- if I can do it, so can you!
coinín is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 04:08 PM   #4
SameerH
Product Manager
SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by c3clark View Post
I've had my kobo for a few months now. I see kobo ads where they say 1.8 million free books for kobo. How do you find these? When I look up free books, there's maybe 300 or so, but that's also including the 100 free classics. Are there any sites like kindle has where they send you an email everyday announcing the newly listed free books?
Hey c3clark,

The 'Free' list is a merchandised area which pulls around 300 of what our merchandising team thinks are the most important / popular / awesome of the free books we have. This list changes based on what they feel like promoting, but a lot of the old favourites remain the same.

We do have around 1.8 million free books though, and you can find them by doing a search and looking for the free versions of the book.
SameerH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 04:39 PM   #5
coinín
dust bunny
coinín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coinín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coinín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coinín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coinín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coinín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coinín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coinín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coinín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coinín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coinín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SameerH View Post
Hey c3clark,

The 'Free' list is a merchandised area which pulls around 300 of what our merchandising team thinks are the most important / popular / awesome of the free books we have. This list changes based on what they feel like promoting, but a lot of the old favourites remain the same.

We do have around 1.8 million free books though, and you can find them by doing a search and looking for the free versions of the book.
Still, I can't be the only one who would like to see the freebies actually show up when you sort by price. When you search something on the website, then sort by price- low to high, the free books vanish.
This is exceptionally frustrating when the initial search had some free books on the first page of results, only to have them vanish when sorted... instead of just bringing up the free books first. It's a little maddening.
Old 02-01-2011, 05:51 PM   #6
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
Or feedbooks here
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 06:03 PM   #7
coinín
dust bunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE TERMINATOR View Post
Or feedbooks here
Nice.
Bookmarked!
Old 02-01-2011, 06:39 PM   #8
CazMar
Book Geek
CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Asus MemPad 7" tablet, Nexus 5, Asus 10" tablet
Also, don't forget all the free books on this site. I find that some of the free EPUB format books from Google and Kobo are a bit of a mess as the scanning is not 100% foolproof. The free books on this site, Feedbooks and http://manybooks.net/ have been "proofread" and contain less errors. Also I have to recommend http://ebooks.adelaide.edu.au/ from my own Adelaide university - they are all formatted very well and a real find for anyone studying as they have a lot of standard texts.
CazMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 07:47 PM   #9
SameerH
Product Manager
SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by coinín View Post
Still, I can't be the only one who would like to see the freebies actually show up when you sort by price. When you search something on the website, then sort by price- low to high, the free books vanish.
This is exceptionally frustrating when the initial search had some free books on the first page of results, only to have them vanish when sorted... instead of just bringing up the free books first. It's a little maddening.
That's a bit confusing. We do have a "Free Only" filter in the filter menu. Give that a whirl.
SameerH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 07:51 PM   #10
amo
Teaist
amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.

Device: Kobo WiFi, Kobo Aura ONE, Android cell phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by THE TERMINATOR View Post
Or feedbooks here
Sweet!
amo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 08:02 PM   #11
coinín
dust bunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by SameerH View Post
That's a bit confusing. We do have a "Free Only" filter in the filter menu. Give that a whirl.
I have done this, but would still like to see them included in the "by price" with the rest instead of having to search twice.
It's not THAT big a deal as it's all still there and you can filter by free... but when you want to see ALL of the results for a particular author at once, it's a pain in the butt to have to navigate that way.
Old 01-02-2012, 04:19 PM   #12
hailee
hailee began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Vox
I am so unhappy!
I bought Kobo Vox, because i saw add that i can get over 1M free ebooks.
Maybe someone makes mistake and it should be 100 free ebooks?
Everything should be in Kobo shop, easy to find.
But is not!
It's just doing a snow job by Kobo!! I feel sucked in! And i am so disappointed too
hailee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 04:38 PM   #13
RareBird
Addict
RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
There are definitely more than 300. Do a search and filter by free.
RareBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 04:59 PM   #14
Joe563
Never spit into the wind.
Joe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austen

Device: Kobo Original, Kobo Touch, Kobo Android(smartphone & tablet)
Go to the www.kobobooks.com website, leave the search box blank and click the GO button. When the search results are returned, select Free Only from the Filter:. The net result should be over 1.8 million books.
Joe563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 04:59 PM   #15
hailee
hailee began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Vox
but where is that "Over 1M"??
i don't want to read classics, i want to read for example books for teens
hailee is offline   Reply With Quote