Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 11-20-2016, 11:51 AM   #61
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Sir Edward View Post
It's been nearly 30 years after his death and his writing is still being talked about.

Not bad for any author. . . .
Can't argue with that.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 12:01 PM   #62
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The problem is the rubbish goes on and on (soap operas) and the good series end too soon.
Perhaps it's good because it ended before you got tired of it. A good story should leave you wanting more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Another issue is that some series end on a cliffhanger for season 1 when they've not been picked up yet for season 2 and sometimes don't get renewed those that liked the series are screwed.
That's not unique to British TV. You ever hear of the series Soap?
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-20-2016, 12:26 PM   #63
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenBarrington View Post
I wonder if we aren't headed to the sort of sexuality in our culture Heinlein envisioned? Though I don't think he envisioned the level of tawdriness that we, as a culture, seem to revel in along with it.

If 'they sex it up' in an exceptionally cheesy way, I suspect Heinlein wouldn't have liked it, but he would support their right to find their own level of self degradation.
Some divide Heinlein's works into his early works and later works, which had a lot more sex in them. Stranger written in 1961 was considered the first of the later works. I was never a big fan of Stranger in a Strange land, I will Fear No Evil or Time Enough for Love. Didn't like any of the novels after Time Enough for Love.

The Moon is a Harsh Mistress was always may favorite and one that I think would have made a great movie. I also liked the Glory Road (another good potential movie). If someone ever decided to actually make Starship Troopers into a movie that would be pretty interesting as well. [yea, that's sarcasm based on my view that they totally missed the point of the book in the movie]
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 12:35 PM   #64
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Just a case of different cultural expectations, Jon. British TV has never had the enormously long series that American TV has (other than things like soap operas, which run forever ) so nobody considers it unusual that a series should last 6, 10 or 12 episodes.
You must have a Tardis handy. How many Doctors have there been?
(I am not a Whovian. Kids )

What do you define long running as? (I would chooseecade or more. Short: Killed before the end of a season )
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 12:42 PM   #65
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
You must have a Tardis handy. How many Doctors have there been?
(I am not a Whovian. Kids )

What do you define long running as? (I would chooseecade or more. Short: Killed before the end of a season )
Sorry, I should have been clearer. There's certainly no shortage of long-running programmes on British TV. Quite a number have run for 20+ years. What I meant is that each individual series is generally no longer than 10 or 12 episodes.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-20-2016, 12:54 PM   #66
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
For clarity: "series" in the UK translates to "season" in the US.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 03:49 PM   #67
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
For clarity: "series" in the UK translates to "season" in the US.
Ah. That was puzzling me, as well.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 04:03 PM   #68
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Tab A 10.1(2019), Pixel 6a.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
Some divide Heinlein's works into his early works and later works, which had a lot more sex in them. Stranger written in 1961 was considered the first of the later works. I was never a big fan of Stranger in a Strange land, I will Fear No Evil or Time Enough for Love. Didn't like any of the novels after Time Enough for Love.

The Moon is a Harsh Mistress was always may favorite and one that I think would have made a great movie. I also liked the Glory Road (another good potential movie). If someone ever decided to actually make Starship Troopers into a movie that would be pretty interesting as well. [yea, that's sarcasm based on my view that they totally missed the point of the book in the movie]
Glory Road would make a good movie, if they tried really hard not to turn it into a primer for sexually explicit Political Correctness, the way they did with Starship Troopers.

Why buy the rights to a famous book if you intend to gut it and change it to something it never was? Why not just steal the basic plot, call it a different name and keep all the profits?
GlenBarrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 05:56 PM   #69
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Why buy the rights to a famous book if you intend to gut it and change it to something it never was? Why not just steal the basic plot, call it a different name and keep all the profits?
I very much enjoyed the Starship Troopers film and Paul Verhoeven had artistic and philosophical reasons for the changes he made.

But I do agree with the gist of your argument. I felt the same way about what became I, Robot.
Old 11-20-2016, 06:33 PM   #70
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
I thought the CGI animated series Roughnecks: Starship Troopers Chronicles was truer to the book than the movie ever thought of being. My son and I enjoyed watching it together. Even my wife thought it was good.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 09:00 PM   #71
Phogg
PHD in Horribleness
Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just a whole bunch. I guess I am a collector now.
Quote:
Because you abhor the message of the original story, and wish to suppress it from being mass disseminated in a compelling way.
Phogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 10:10 PM   #72
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Tab A 10.1(2019), Pixel 6a.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
I very much enjoyed the Starship Troopers film and Paul Verhoeven had artistic and philosophical reasons for the changes he made.

But I do agree with the gist of your argument. I felt the same way about what became I, Robot.
But it was, essentially, a lie, and intellectually dishonest. It WASN'T "Starship Troopers", it was an entirely different story that happened to have the same name. The tickets to that movie were sold under false pretenses.

Last edited by GlenBarrington; 11-20-2016 at 10:13 PM.
GlenBarrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 11:11 PM   #73
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
But it was, essentially, a lie, and intellectually dishonest. It WASN'T "Starship Troopers", it was an entirely different story that happened to have the same name. The tickets to that movie were sold under false pretenses.
Like I said, I felt exactly the same way about the awful I, Robot and I Am Legend.

As for the answer to your question on why they release unrelated movies under the names of famous books, the answer is name recognition.

In the case of Starship Troopers, it was originally a script called Bug Hunt at Outpost Nine. Then they bought the rights to Starship Troopers.

Paul Verhoeven was uncomfortable with the book as he felt it was pro-fascist and he grew up in occupied Netherlands during World War II. That's why the film is a satire.
Old 11-20-2016, 11:29 PM   #74
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Like I said, I felt exactly the same way about the awful I, Robot and I Am Legend.
I've always felt that the movie "I, Robot" was more of a prequel to the Asimov's stories. It seemed to explaining why there were no robots on Earth.

I think I read "I Am Legend" after seeing the Will Smith movie. As cheesy as "Omega Man" was, it seems to be the better adaptation. The overall tone fits the book a lot better, as do the creatures. Of course, the ending is completely different, but that doesn't surprise me.
Quote:
As for the answer to your question on why they release unrelated movies under the names of famous books, the answer is name recognition.

In the case of Starship Troopers, it was originally a script called Bug Hunt at Outpost Nine. Then they bought the rights to Starship Troopers.
The story I heard at the time was that Verhoeven was pitching the movie and it was turned down. Then he asked. "What if we call it Robert Heinlein's Starship Troopers?" No idea if this is true, but it isn't hard to imagine something like that happening.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 01:18 AM   #75
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
I've always felt that the movie "I, Robot" was more of a prequel to the Asimov's stories. It seemed to explaining why there were no robots on Earth.
I just figured that the I, Robot movie was a cheesy piece of crap action flick who's scriptwriter and producer didn't care about Asimov. I felt bad for Alex Proyas, a director I otherwise respect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
The story I heard at the time was that Verhoeven was pitching the movie and it was turned down. Then he asked. "What if we call it Robert Heinlein's Starship Troopers?" No idea if this is true, but it isn't hard to imagine something like that happening.
I dunno about that. The stuff I mentioned was from various interviews with Paul Verhoeven.