Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 03-20-2017, 09:16 AM   #1
roycymru
Connoisseur
roycymru has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'roycymru has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'roycymru has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'roycymru has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'roycymru has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'roycymru has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'roycymru has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'roycymru has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'roycymru has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'roycymru has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'roycymru has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'

Device: Kobo Touch
remaining long term bug

With the rush of updates recently I thought one of the long term bugs would have been resolved but hasn't, namely if you use a sleep cover, on first wake up areas of the text are not as dark as then should be, because a faint image of the books cover is still displayed in the background. Can't recall others reporting this remaining bug but it definitely still occurs on my Aura H2O
roycymru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 09:41 AM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Yes, I do sometimes get some fainter text.But I don't see the cover that was on the screen before sleep cover wake. This is with an H2O.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-20-2017, 07:22 PM   #3
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by roycymru View Post
With the rush of updates recently I thought one of the long term bugs would have been resolved but hasn't, namely if you use a sleep cover, on first wake up areas of the text are not as dark as then should be, because a faint image of the books cover is still displayed in the background. Can't recall others reporting this remaining bug but it definitely still occurs on my Aura H2O
That's due to how e-ink works. As changes are made on the screen, it doesn't do full refresh. As you use the device you will see faint remnant of the previous screens. This isn't as noticeable on the newer devices, but is still there. On the Touch, it can get bad quickly. Because of this, the device occasionally does a full refresh which clears everything. When reading, the default is every six page turns but it can be changed in the settings.

The cover remnants staying after waking is because a full refresh is not done during when the device is woken. This has changed a couple of times over the firmware versions, but in the versions that have done a refresh, there were a lot of complaints about the extra flashing as the device wakes. And as you can force a refresh by opening and closing the menus (tap to bring them up, tap to close them), and the affects aren't as noticeable on newer devices, Kobo have probably decided not to do the refresh.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 10:13 AM   #4
Ashjuk
Fanatic
Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Sony PRS 600/650
I've only had my Aura One for a few days but my experience so far is that when I open the cover the sleeping page gets replaced by the last page I was reading straight away.
I've not seen a ghost of the cover so perhaps the One does a screen refresh on wake up.
Ashjuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 10:46 AM   #5
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
Some folks are more sensitive to ghosting than others, within the same model different devices have been reported as having different ghosting levels to say nothing of different models. I wouldn't call this a bug, at least not one that can be fixed. Kobo could force two or three refreshes upon wake, but then you'd get more people complaining about the flashing and the time it took to wake. As it is now, tapping on the screen to bring up controls and then tapping again to dismiss them should trigger a refresh and with that clear the ghosting.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-22-2017, 11:49 PM   #6
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
I wonder if the PIN code that has been spotted with some affiliates might be enough to force a full screen refresh on wakeup?
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 01:37 AM   #7
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
I wonder if the PIN code that has been spotted with some affiliates might be enough to force a full screen refresh on wakeup?
Setting affiliate to Rakuten and using a PIN code, it seems to do the white/black/white flash before display the PIN entry screen and after entering the PIN code.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 02:40 PM   #8
roycymru
Connoisseur
roycymru has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'roycymru has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'roycymru has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'roycymru has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'roycymru has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'roycymru has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'roycymru has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'roycymru has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'roycymru has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'roycymru has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'roycymru has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGlitch View Post
Some folks are more sensitive to ghosting than others, within the same model different devices have been reported as having different ghosting levels to say nothing of different models. I wouldn't call this a bug, at least not one that can be fixed. Kobo could force two or three refreshes upon wake, but then you'd get more people complaining about the flashing and the time it took to wake. As it is now, tapping on the screen to bring up controls and then tapping again to dismiss them should trigger a refresh and with that clear the ghosting.
Thanks for everyone's feedback. I would regard it as a bug as it didn't do this on earlier versions and if you untick Show current Read in Energy Saving and Privacy, it's not an issue. I think the latest version does improve things over more recent versions, where a "ghost" image of the book cover would clearly be visible in the background, but I think the current version must still be leaving some residual image of the book cover resulting in the greying of portions of the text.
Old 03-23-2017, 06:57 PM   #9
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Thanks for everyone's feedback. I would regard it as a bug as it didn't do this on earlier versions and if you untick Show current Read in Energy Saving and Privacy, it's not an issue. I think the latest version does improve things over more recent versions, where a "ghost" image of the book cover would clearly be visible in the background, but I think the current version must still be leaving some residual image of the book cover resulting in the greying of portions of the text.
I don't think anything has changed in the ghosting recently. It has always been there, and except for the few versions that did a lot of flashing after waking, hasn't really changed. How bad it is does depend on the cover. I have some downloaded books that don't use a cover image. Their cover is simply the title and author. I don't usually notice any ghosting from these. But, covers with a dark images, and lots of detail, are usually more noticeable. If it bugs me, I just tap the middle of the screen twice and it is all gone.

And I'm curious, what was Kobo's response when you reported this problem?
Old 03-24-2017, 09:03 AM   #10
roycymru
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
I don't think anything has changed in the ghosting recently. It has always been there, and except for the few versions that did a lot of flashing after waking, hasn't really changed. How bad it is does depend on the cover. I have some downloaded books that don't use a cover image. Their cover is simply the title and author. I don't usually notice any ghosting from these. But, covers with a dark images, and lots of detail, are usually more noticeable. If it bugs me, I just tap the middle of the screen twice and it is all gone.

And I'm curious, what was Kobo's response when you reported this problem?
Can't remember if I ever got a response. Tried contacting support today but only seems to be a Chat or Phone option. Neither seem appropriate for this issue. How do you submit a "written" query/bug report nowadays?
Old 03-24-2017, 09:26 AM   #11
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Can't remember if I ever got a response. Tried contacting support today but only seems to be a Chat or Phone option. Neither seem appropriate for this issue. How do you submit a "written" query/bug report nowadays?
There is a "Contact Customer Care" link on the help page.