Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 12-31-2016, 02:03 PM   #91
copyrite
Wizard
copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ...lots! ;) mostly reading on a Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
They have no idea about ebooks, calibre and the like. You all seem to be stuck in a bubble and think every reader is ebook savvy like you. The truth is we are a very small percentage and they are the majority.
I have several co-workers with Kindles who have absolutely no idea what DRM is or why they might want to liberate it from their books. They look at me like I'm speaking Greek to them!
copyrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 02:47 PM   #92
ScalyFreak
Sith Wannabe
ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 4, Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Fire HD, Aluratek Libre
Quote:
You all seem to be stuck in a bubble and think every reader is ebook savvy like you. The truth is we are a very small percentage and they are the majority.
In my world it's not about ebook savvy, it's about common sense when using electronic devices to store any kind of data.

I'm the type of person who will listen to a person genuinely bawl and cry their heart out over losing all their children's baby pictures and the only copy of their term paper one week before deadline, and then calmly tell them that if the files were that important to them, they should have made at least one back-up copy. Since they didn't, losing the files isn't a big deal and it's time to move on to covering the importance of car maintenance and house cleaning and other day-to-day basics.

Computers have been around for decades now, there is absolutely no excuse for not knowing this.

And no, you are not the only person who this makes a callous female dog.

Quote:
ARE pushed their app alot. Downloading on their site in the old days was pain. I never did figure out how to redownload from them. I don't know if it's still like that but you had to submit a ticket to them to redownload a book which is one of the reason I never got anything but freebies from them.
You had to submit a ticket if you decided you wanted to download a different format than what you originally downloaded. If all you wanted to do was re-download a book in the same format as before, all you had to do was go to their website and click the download arrow next to the book in your library.

Their app absolutely sucked, but they didn't really start to push that on users on mobile until about six months or so ago, and it was still easy to avoid it. Honestly, the ARe library page is one of the easiest to use out there, Harlequin is far worse.

Last edited by ScalyFreak; 12-31-2016 at 02:53 PM.
ScalyFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-31-2016, 03:34 PM   #93
Byrdie
Walking Library
Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H20, Kindle Paperwhite 5, 16 gb version
Found out about this only last night and managed to download all of my books but one which even though it's in my library goes to a 404 page displaying the "we're closing at midnight on the 31st." notice. Fortunately it isn't one I paid for and I do have another copy in Calibre as well my tablets. And I managed to get my ebucks -- which I'm ashamed to say I'd forgotten about -- all spent but for 66 cents which is better than I'd expected as they weren't showing at all the first time I tried. But a huge chunk of my wishlist is nowhere to be found so I'm gonna have to start from scratch there. Assuming I can find somewhere to start over that has the books I read at decent prices in the format I prefer, which is plain vanilla epub. Would not have known about it at all if I hadn't checked in here and saw it on the front page so thanks for the heads up. And thanks to Calibre and the tools I'm not as burnt by this as I otherwise might have been. Still hurts though, ARE was my favorite store since Fictionwise went kablooey. :-(
Byrdie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 06:13 PM   #94
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
You all seem to be stuck in a bubble and think every reader is ebook savvy like you. The truth is we are a very small percentage and they are the majority.
THIS!!! Most people are using computers and the internet these days but are completely naive about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScalyFreak View Post
I'm the type of person who will listen to a person genuinely bawl and cry their heart out over losing all their children's baby pictures and the only copy of their term paper one week before deadline, and then calmly tell them that if the files were that important to them, they should have made at least one back-up copy.
I 100% agree with you on the above, BUT realize that most of these people thought they DID have a backup (in the cloud on the bookstore site). And most of them probably didn't realize there was even an option to back them up locally.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 08:10 PM   #95
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
That is the advantage of ADE. You download it via ADE and it's on the computer. Then you can transfer it to your Reader from there.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-31-2016, 10:12 PM   #96
Leilani
Leilani plays well with othersLeilani plays well with othersLeilani plays well with othersLeilani plays well with othersLeilani plays well with othersLeilani plays well with othersLeilani plays well with othersLeilani plays well with othersLeilani plays well with othersLeilani plays well with othersLeilani plays well with others

Device: K3, Voyage, KOA2
ADE ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
That is the advantage of ADE. You download it via ADE and it's on the computer. Then you can transfer it to your Reader from there.
I have a question for you about ADE. I have ADE 2.01 on my pc but I've got a new Win10 machine to start integrating. Will I be able to download ADE 2.01 again on the new machine. I made sure to get my Adobe password so I'm set there.

I only have 2 Kobo books from Kobo there in my ADE library - I don't really like Kobo but with ARe out, I may have to take a look at it again. [I use Calibre and Apprentice Alf and have a Kindle so I have to convert anyway] I try to not buy secured DRM epubs but it doesn't show that it's DRMed until after I've checked out (unless they've changed something in the two or more years since I've shopped there)
Leilani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 10:20 PM   #97
Leilani
Leilani plays well with othersLeilani plays well with othersLeilani plays well with othersLeilani plays well with othersLeilani plays well with othersLeilani plays well with othersLeilani plays well with othersLeilani plays well with othersLeilani plays well with othersLeilani plays well with othersLeilani plays well with others

Device: K3, Voyage, KOA2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrdie View Post
Found out about this only last night and managed to download all of my books but one which even though it's in my library goes to a 404 page displaying the "we're closing at midnight on the 31st." notice. Still hurts though, ARE was my favorite store since Fictionwise went kablooey. :-(
It's going to be heartbreaking for the readers or authors who've been on holiday and missed the last 4 days.

And unlike Elloras Cave or Torquere where they've been bad signs for a long time, this just came out of the blue - they had a groupon for ebucks just last weekend!

Byrdie - maybe you can contact the author on GoodReads or the publishing house with your receipt. Some authors and publishers are trying to make the readers whole at their cost
Leilani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 10:41 PM   #98
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Just curious: it's great that some publishers are looking after those who got burned on pre-orders, but really for a digital book they are out profit on them but no real cost -- except royalties. So will the authors get all or part of their royalties on these books given away to keep the customers whole?
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 10:45 PM   #99
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leilani View Post
I have a question for you about ADE. I have ADE 2.01 on my pc but I've got a new Win10 machine to start integrating. Will I be able to download ADE 2.01 again on the new machine. I made sure to get my Adobe password so I'm set there.

I only have 2 Kobo books from Kobo there in my ADE library - I don't really like Kobo but with ARe out, I may have to take a look at it again. [I use Calibre and Apprentice Alf and have a Kindle so I have to convert anyway] I try to not buy secured DRM epubs but it doesn't show that it's DRMed until after I've checked out (unless they've changed something in the two or more years since I've shopped there)
Yes. I have it on my Windows 10 laptop with very little issues.

Sent from my XT1528
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 10:48 PM   #100
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by robko View Post
Just curious: it's great that some publishers are looking after those who got burned on pre-orders, but really for a digital book they are out profit on them but no real cost -- except royalties. So will the authors get all or part of their royalties on these books given away to keep the customers whole?
No one knows yet how it's going hurt each publisher.

However if you submit a ticket before closing you are supposedly will be refunded on a pre-orders.

Sent from my XT1528
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 08:58 AM   #101
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
I can confirm the site is gone today. Just an error message on my bookmarked link.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 09:48 AM   #102
BearMountainBooks
Maria Schneider
BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3g Kindle Keyboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leilani View Post

Most books now show whether they have DRM or not -- scroll down to the bottom of any book page (below the reviews) and there's a block of info:

NYLA, December 2013
Imprint: NYLA
ISBN: 9781625173430
Language: English
Download options: EPUB 2 (Adobe DRM)

You probably know there is a kobo thread where we track coupons (generally only good on small publishers and indies unless Kobo makes a mistake, which they do now and then. I track them on my blog too and there are probably other blogs that do so.) There's also Google Play and they have discounts too (sometimes.)
BearMountainBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 02:45 PM   #103
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
KKR on All Romance ebooks:

https://www.patreon.com/posts/business-musings-7624150

Turns out there's an impact on the Apple store.

Last edited by fjtorres; 01-01-2017 at 02:50 PM.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 03:45 PM   #104
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
KKR on All Romance ebooks:

https://www.patreon.com/posts/business-musings-7624150

Turns out there's an impact on the Apple store.
That's horrible reading but it does kinda make sense
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 03:49 PM   #105
BearMountainBooks
Maria Schneider
BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3g Kindle Keyboard
It seems like a realistic take. Sadly, I don't think it will have a real impact on authors (go wide) or customers (don't buy from a single vendor all the time). I've done editing for several clients and only a small percentage go wide. It's just so EASY to slap it up on Amazon...it's very, very easy to buy from there too.

Shoot, even as an affiliate, I get asked about how to become one and how it works. I always preach being an affiliate for more than one company, but that tends to fall on deaf ears as well.
BearMountainBooks is offline   Reply With Quote