Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

View Poll Results: Which book of History will add to our knowledge of ourselves in November?
Lawrence in Arabia: War, Deceit, Imperial Folly and the Making of the Modern Middle East by Scott Anderson 7 43.75%
Sapiens: A Brief History of Humankind by Yuval Noah Harari 8 50.00%
The Devil in the White City by Erik Larson 4 25.00%
William the Conqueror by Edward Augustus Freeman 2 12.50%
Jacksonland: President Andrew Jackson, Cherokee Chief John Ross, and a Great American Land Grab by Steve Inskeep 3 18.75%
Midnight at the Pera Palace: the Birth of Modern Istanbul by Charles King 3 18.75%
Soul of a People: The WPA Writers' Project Uncovers Depression America by David A. Taylor 2 12.50%
The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich by William L. Shirer 3 18.75%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-01-2016, 10:01 PM   #16
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Amazon calls Sapiens an eTextbook. I don't want to read a textbook. Plus the cost is $16.99. No way I'll be reading this and no way I'd recommend it to anyone.
It's called an eText book but it reads like a science book for the general reader. It is expensive, though.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 10:03 PM   #17
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Oh, man! I can't believe the only book I voted on won! Is something tragic going to happen now?
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-02-2016, 05:17 AM   #18
spindlegirl
Wizard
spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra h20, Paperwhite 2017, Phone & Tablet w Moonreader
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
Oh, man! I can't believe the only book I voted on won! Is something tragic going to happen now?
I think you're safe. My vote didn't get it
spindlegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 05:49 AM   #19
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
Yep. We are all going to hate it and then sting you up for having voted for it.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 05:50 AM   #20
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spindlegirl View Post
I think you're safe. My vote didn't get it
Well, I'm not sure we are safe. My last vote wasn't chosen and we ended up reading an absolutely awful book. This time my vote wasn't chosen and the book we are reading is very odd.
Advert
Old 11-02-2016, 07:40 AM   #21
spindlegirl
Wizard
spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Well, I'm not sure we are safe. My last vote wasn't chosen and we ended up reading an absolutely awful book. This time my vote wasn't chosen and the book we are reading is very odd.
I agree with you here. so far I'm about an hour into the book, and I do find it kind of odd. But parts of it so far have me chuckling a bit.

Spoiler:
The part about the need for "big brains" and birds doing calculus was kind of funny.
Old 11-02-2016, 03:54 PM   #22
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
I agree with you here. so far I'm about an hour into the book, and I do find it kind of odd. But parts of it so far have me chuckling a bit.

Spoiler:
The part about the need for "big brains" and birds doing calculus was kind of funny.
This would have made a better book for last month.
Old 11-03-2016, 11:26 AM   #23
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
I've started. The Hoopla app is not great, but it'll serve. I'll save my comments on the content for the discussion.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 02:53 PM   #24
spindlegirl
Wizard

I'm 5 ish hours into it. I am liking it, so far.
Old 11-07-2016, 03:45 PM   #25
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
I'm 5 ish hours into it. I am liking it, so far.
I'm roughly 5 hours into it and it's not really all that good. It's just a mess of things that really make little to no sense. The author seems like he's confused.
Old 11-08-2016, 11:23 AM   #26
spindlegirl
Wizard

Quote:
I'm roughly 5 hours into it and it's not really all that good. It's just a mess of things that really make little to no sense. The author seems like he's confused.
I guess that must be the reason I'm liking it. Admittedly I've so far had to back up a bit when my mind wandered, and some parts I found more "boring" than others, but I've found it more entertaining than educational.
Old 11-10-2016, 09:36 AM   #27
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
I guess that must be the reason I'm liking it. Admittedly I've so far had to back up a bit when my mind wandered, and some parts I found more "boring" than others, but I've found it more entertaining than educational.
I don't find this book entertaining. I find it rather silly. The entire Peugeot stuff is just ridiculous and is inappropriate (for example).
Old 11-10-2016, 09:43 AM   #28
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I know I should wait until the discussion starts, but....

Quote:
Agree on the last. On the other hand, I've found that the author's tendency to belabor his point means I haven't missed much when I zone out, so I don't back up - especially as the Hoopla app doesn't seem to care for it.

Quote:
I don't find this book entertaining. I find it rather silly. The entire Peugeot stuff is just ridiculous and is inappropriate (for example).
Agree with you about Peugeot. Tedious, unenlightening and implies that the reader (listener) is an uninformed dope. The explanation of how currency works is another example. We get it already! In fact, we knew it already.
Old 11-10-2016, 05:18 PM   #29
spindlegirl
Wizard

This is my first time participating in a book month reading. I didn't realize the discussion hadn't officially started. I'm sorry.
Old 11-10-2016, 05:25 PM   #30
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

Quote:
This is my first time participating in a book month reading. I didn't realize the discussion hadn't officially started. I'm sorry.
I'm not Tom, but I like to see enthusiasm! No need to apologize.

Heck, I did know and that didn't stop me!