Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-29-2011, 01:47 PM   #31
jbefumo
jbefumo began at the beginning.

Device: kindle (basic)
Yeah - I'm getting the feeling it might be more efficacious to just buy something that will more easily do what I want (now I KNOW I'm getting old!) Not being at all USB savvy, I was kind of thinking along the lines of software that would be triggered by a 'USB event' of some sort, and do its thing, or maybe poll something like a uart -- guess I'm showing my age ;^)
jbefumo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 02:09 PM   #32
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbefumo View Post
Yeah - I'm getting the feeling it might be more efficacious to just buy something that will more easily do what I want (now I KNOW I'm getting old!) Not being at all USB savvy, I was kind of thinking along the lines of software that would be triggered by a 'USB event' of some sort, and do its thing, or maybe poll something like a uart -- guess I'm showing my age ;^)
Actually not a bad idea. You could detect usb insertion and removal of some arbitrary device (cheap mp3 player perhaps) if you had your foot switch connect and disconnect one of the wires in the usb cable.

That would only move your page forward though...

If you opened the kindle you could solder small wires across one or more of the key switch contact pads and then just detect button presses.

Or perhaps a little stand or clamp-on attachment for the kindle sits with solenoids to press kindle buttons from a remote foot switch.

If you hook a serial mouse to the kindle 3 serial port, you could put the mouse on the floor and press mouse buttons with your foot.

You can do a lot of things, but you need imagination.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-29-2011, 03:21 PM   #33
RV987789
RV987789 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Dx
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
Hmm... an Alphasmart Dana is actually a full palm-compatible computer with keyboard?

You would need to run a palm terminal program on it to connect it to a kindle.

It runs palmOS 4.1 so there should be a lot of software you can install on it. There *must* be a serial terminal program you can run on it.

Well, I purchased the alphasmart to forget about to try to input text quickly in my kindle. So, I'll use two devices: a kindle for reading and an alphasmart dana for typing. That's my solution to be as little as possible on screens that emit bright
RV987789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 07:37 PM   #34
John Chang
John Chang began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Basic 2011
I got a Kindle Basic today. Setting it up, I immediately encountered a problem: I need to type a pipe symbol (|) for my wifi network's 64-character password, and the Kindle keyboard doesn't have it! Yes, I could change the router password, but frankly I'm unwilling to take the time to change the password on dozens of devices just to accommodate the Kindle. Also, my old Linksys WRT54GL doesn't support a guest network.

So, how can the pipe character be entered into the Kindle? Is there some kind of escape that allows ascii character codes (pipe is decimal 124) to be entered manually? Can I ssh into the Kindle and modify the appropriate system file(s) to connect to my network? Or can I use an external computer keyboard to enter the character into the setup app? I'm willing to go to a different router (without the | in its password) to set it up for use.

Last edited by John Chang; 12-29-2011 at 08:27 PM. Reason: "jailbreak" not currently possible, but ssh is.
John Chang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 08:20 PM   #35
geekmaster
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

There is a pipe symbol in the Sym table. Press the Sym key on a kindle keyboard and use the 5-way pad to navigate and select symbols then press Sym to close Sym table.

Use the keyboard button on a kindle 4 and press the numbers key which brings up a symbols key. The K4 and Touch cycle through keyboard layouts.

Last edited by geekmaster; 12-29-2011 at 08:30 PM.
Advert
Old 12-29-2011, 08:29 PM   #36
John Chang
John Chang began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Basic 2011
Geekmaster,

Are you sure about the existence of the pipe symbol on the wifi-only Kindle? The symbol table (designated !&#) does not list it. Amazon customer support says it doesn't exist.
John Chang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 08:36 PM   #37
geekmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Chang View Post
Geekmaster,

Are you sure about the existence of the pipe symbol on the wifi-only Kindle? The symbol table (designated !&#) does not list it. Amazon customer support says it doesn't exist.
Really? Thay sucks! I will make an extended onscreen keyboard that works on all kindles using the 5-way pad or touchscreen.

I am typing this on my K3 (kindle keyboard). I do not see any pipe-shaped symbol. I only see a character in the top row of the Sym table that looks more like a cigarette: ||| | | | | | | ... I think they call it a vertical bar.

Last edited by geekmaster; 12-29-2011 at 08:52 PM.
Old 01-01-2012, 07:21 PM   #38
jbefumo

Couple of questions:

First, if I absolutely HAVE to go the route of hardware modification, is there a reference anywhere as to how to open the case? Before I break out my crow bar and acetylene torch? ;^)

I'm surmising that since it has identical buttons on the right and left, they're simply wired in parallel, and adding another set, via, say, a mini stereo jack, would be feasible, though I won't know for sure until I open it up.

Preferably, however, I'm wondering if supplying +5v to either the D+ or D- connection of the USB connector might be a possibility, providing I can find a way to capture those events, and a way to access the API (presumably) for paging forward or backward. Or am I totally off base here? Is there any documentation out there that would support such an effort?

I actually applied to Amazon's beta developer program, but I have no idea what their criteria might be, or how long it will take them to respond.

Thanks again,

Joe
Old 01-01-2012, 08:44 PM   #39
geekmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbefumo View Post
Couple of questions:

First, if I absolutely HAVE to go the route of hardware modification, is there a reference anywhere as to how to open the case? Before I break out my crow bar and acetylene torch? ;^)

I'm surmising that since it has identical buttons on the right and left, they're simply wired in parallel, and adding another set, via, say, a mini stereo jack, would be feasible, though I won't know for sure until I open it up.

Preferably, however, I'm wondering if supplying +5v to either the D+ or D- connection of the USB connector might be a possibility, providing I can find a way to capture those events, and a way to access the API (presumably) for paging forward or backward. Or am I totally off base here? Is there any documentation out there that would support such an effort?

I actually applied to Amazon's beta developer program, but I have no idea what their criteria might be, or how long it will take them to respond.

Thanks again,

Joe
To open it use a spudger tool. Do NOT use a sharp knife. I have a kindle 3 with a damaged eInk display cable. When open you can see that the display cable rests against the case edge and can easily be damaged if opened incorrectly. You may be able to use a guitar pick, but I tool a credit card and sharpened an edge around a corner by scraping it with a sharp knife. For photos of kindle 3 opening, search for "kindle 3 teardown" or similar.

The buttons on the left and right are just extra keyboard buttons, and they generate different key codes. At a an SSH prompt (or onscreen console) type "waitforkey" then press a key, to see the keycode. You will see that left and right buttons are different.

Regarding supplying +5v across the D+ and D- USB connections, perhaps supplying power to the power wires might be necessary to trigger a USB insertion event. Try it and see. You should probably limit current to the data connections with a 1K resistor to prevent damage when you try them. It might need more than just voltage though (not sure). Perhaps it needs to talk to a host PC or host bridge device (again not sure). Either read the amazon source code for you kindle, or read the USB specifications, or just try it (but be careful to NOT connect the wires backwards).

Last edited by geekmaster; 01-02-2012 at 12:26 AM.
Old 01-01-2012, 11:16 PM   #40
jbefumo

thanks for that GREAT advice! I've downloaded the source code (very accommodating of them!) and have poked around for USB specs - yeah, I'd be careful about the current ;^)

It's pretty funny, but I've installed Linux on my extra PC numerous times, and never did much with it or kept it long. I've gotten more into it since getting this Kindle than in all the previous years. Feels great to be activating those old tech neurons!
Old 01-02-2012, 12:43 AM   #41
geekmaster

One thing that CAN be detected by the kindle is whether it is CHARGING from the USB port. Supply +5v to the power wires in a USB cable to switch the kindle charging state, and that can be detected at /proc/ ports even by a simple script that monitors the charging state and measures how long it is in "charging" mode. A short charge pulse (perhaps one second) could be used to send a "next page" key code to the kindle keyboard /dev/ port, and a long charge pulse (perhaps two seconds) could send a "previous page" key code to the keyboard /dev/ port.

Perhaps +4.8v would be enough to send to the kindle USB power wires (Four 1.2v NiMH rechargable AAA batteries, for example). Do not supply more than 5v to the USB power wires, and do not connect them backwards.

You only need one foot switch, and you can control page turn direction by how long you hold down the foot switch.

Last edited by geekmaster; 01-02-2012 at 06:58 AM.
Old 09-06-2012, 01:22 PM   #42
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
It would be nice to know if this whole idea ever got to fruition. The Keyboard/usb devices thing... : )
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 02:00 PM   #43
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by twobob View Post
It would be nice to know if this whole idea ever got to fruition. The Keyboard/usb devices thing... : )
None by myself.

The K? paperwhite with capacitive touch screen -
What will we call it?
The K-Fire already uses 6.xxx firmware.

The K9 if it turns out to be a dog?

Any how - the Amazon adapter page says for "K4 & K5" so maybe this K? will also support external USB devices.

$119 - not to bad for an intro price.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 02:44 PM   #44
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
I want one. with usb. now. : ) so I can attach a LEAP adaptor OMG YES!

Come on!

EDIT: And I'm not getting one in a big hurry. 1st of November! Argh! too far away.
And that's the US launch? Nooooooo.....

Last edited by twobob; 09-06-2012 at 03:00 PM.
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 09:52 AM   #45
DakaPhoenix
DakaPhoenix began at the beginning.

Device: kindle touch 3g 4gb
Keyboard w kindle running linux

http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/e722/
projected bluetooth/usb keyboard

So, maybe it is not so blatantly obvious after all.

EDIT: The above information was obtained from early posts by yifanlu and others. After reading the Freescale iMx.50 reference manual, I discovered that the host-only port is internal, and the OTG port is external. So a USB keyboard CAN work plugged into the external USB port (but needs software support).
[/QUOTE]

Ive got money down for the first person that shows the projected keyboard on a kindle touch w speakers, audio jack, touch screen... the 4 gb model...

jeffery.ferguson@gmail.com
DakaPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
keyboard, kindle