Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-28-2016, 12:32 PM   #1
dan3008
dan3008 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dan3008 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dan3008 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dan3008 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dan3008 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dan3008 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dan3008 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dan3008 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dan3008 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dan3008 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dan3008 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KT3 - and loving it
Getting started?

Hi guys,

Basically just after some advice about getting started writing my own stuff for the kindle...

I'm quite an experienced hobby python developer, and would love to port some of my games (which use pygame) and other apps to the kindle, ideally to run through KUAL.

I've spent ages googleing, but cant find any information on how to start. I assume as a minimum, I'd need to package an install to install python 2.7.10 and respective pygame? But even then I'm at a bit of a loss...
Any pointers to get me started, or useful links would be great
thanks
Dan

--edit--
Once the aplication is written, I've worked out how to package it for KUAL, its just actually writing it that I'm not sure where to start

Last edited by dan3008; 12-28-2016 at 12:35 PM. Reason: additional information
dan3008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 02:23 PM   #2
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan3008 View Post
Hi guys,

Basically just after some advice about getting started writing my own stuff for the kindle...

I'm quite an experienced hobby python developer, and would love to port some of my games (which use pygame) and other apps to the kindle, ideally to run through KUAL.

I've spent ages googleing, but cant find any information on how to start. I assume as a minimum, I'd need to package an install to install python 2.7.10 and respective pygame? But even then I'm at a bit of a loss...
Any pointers to get me started, or useful links would be great
thanks
Dan

--edit--
Once the aplication is written, I've worked out how to package it for KUAL, its just actually writing it that I'm not sure where to start
There is a Python already packaged for the Kindles, use that one (plus your extension to it) if you can rather than having people confused by more than one build being posted.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 02:34 PM   #3
dan3008
dan3008 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dan3008 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dan3008 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dan3008 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dan3008 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dan3008 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dan3008 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dan3008 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dan3008 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dan3008 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dan3008 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
There is a Python already packaged for the Kindles, use that one (plus your extension to it) if you can rather than having people confused by more than one build being posted.
thats true, I should have remembered that, I have even installed it today... So I just need to work out how to package pygame (or similar) and get the whole thing running properly...

Well, no time like the present, Time to play I feel.
Old 12-28-2016, 03:40 PM   #4
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
thats true, I should have remembered that, I have even installed it today... So I just need to work out how to package pygame (or similar) and get the whole thing running properly...

Well, no time like the present, Time to play I feel.
All of this stuff is documented, try the wiki page for kindletool or k5 hacking or ....
Old 12-28-2016, 04:27 PM   #5
dan3008

I'd been digging on the wiki, but all I'd found was this page which is a bit sparce to say the least... Thankyou for pointing me in the right direction, I'll be sure to see what I can find
Old 12-28-2016, 04:45 PM   #6
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
I'd been digging on the wiki, but all I'd found was this page which is a bit sparce to say the least... Thankyou for pointing me in the right direction, I'll be sure to see what I can find
Well, I made no claims for the adequacy of what is available.
Nor how current the information is.
Only that it might be quicker to find and read rather than re-invent whatever there is available.

A note on myself (since you see my nickname a lot here) -
Once upon a time, I was a software developer -
Now because of age and failing eyesight, I answer questions when possible.
I do wish I could still have the mental acuity to do code support that I had 3 or 4 decades ago but that is not to be.

Translation:
I am more of a living index of what I have read here these past 4 years than of anything original.
Old 12-28-2016, 06:36 PM   #7
encol
Evangelist
encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3 5.8.5.0.1
Maybe this can be useful?
encol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 05:14 AM   #8
dan3008

Quote:
Originally Posted by encol View Post
Maybe this can be useful?
thanks I'll be sure to have a read

I've not used QT before, but it does looks good. So I'll add that to my list of options
Old 12-30-2016, 11:42 AM   #9
dan3008

We'll, I have good news and bad news to report

the bad news
I have not yet managed to get pygame working on the kindle... but I am taking the files from my x64 computer, and trying them. I 1/2 expected them to work, because python is interpreted, but I guess its possible that its using some compiled libraries...

the good news
having hacked my way through a dozen (or more) kual extensions, I have worked out how to execute a python script. So, I'm getting there.
so, watch this space lol.

If I get it working, I'll be sure to add it to the wiki, to help other people in my situation