Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 04-24-2021, 07:51 PM   #1
adrians
Enthusiast
adrians doesn't litteradrians doesn't litter

Device: Kobo Glo
Great e-Ink optimized browser, EinkBro

Just found this really nice browser to use with my Max 3. I was using Firefox Lite, but this looks even better from the POV of being lightweight and has the advantage that it's optimized for e-Ink devices.

https://github.com/plateaukao/browser

Normally, it should be available from the app store, but it was just suspended recently according to the author:

"Google suspended my release this weekend, saying that the App should not ask users to download app from unknown resource. However, in EinkBro, I did not do what they claimed. So, I wrote a letter to appeal. Haven't received any response yet."

For now, you can download the apk from GitHub at:

https://github.com/plateaukao/browser/releases
adrians is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 04:53 PM   #2
Synergi
Addict
Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, iPadPro, Galaxy Note 5, 8 (tab) & Galaxy Tab S3
Quote:
Originally Posted by adrians View Post
Just found this really nice browser to use with my Max 3. I was using Firefox Lite, but this looks even better from the POV of being lightweight and has the advantage that it's optimized for e-Ink devices.

Normally, it should be available from the app store, but it was just suspended recently according to the author:

"Google suspended my release this weekend, saying that the App should not ask users to download app from unknown resource. However, in EinkBro, I did not do what they claimed. So, I wrote a letter to appeal. Haven't received any response yet."

That browser is a lot smoother and loads faster. Thanks for the suggestion, I’m really loving the browser. Surfing is much improved!
Synergi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-27-2021, 03:47 AM   #3
kandwo
Addict
kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by adrians View Post

There's already a thread here in the Android section where the developer behind the app is active answering questions.

It's also available on F-droid, which has the advantage of not having to manually check for new apks when you want to update the browser.

I agree that it's great! Mostly, I still use firefox from F-droid for all my synced stuff, but reading longer articles is much better on Einkbro.
kandwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 06:38 PM   #4
aduffbrew
Enthusiast
aduffbrew is a jewel in the roughaduffbrew is a jewel in the roughaduffbrew is a jewel in the roughaduffbrew is a jewel in the roughaduffbrew is a jewel in the roughaduffbrew is a jewel in the roughaduffbrew is a jewel in the roughaduffbrew is a jewel in the roughaduffbrew is a jewel in the roughaduffbrew is a jewel in the roughaduffbrew is a jewel in the rough

Device: Boox Nova 2 & iPad Mini 5
It's also available in the Google Play Store.
aduffbrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 03:15 AM   #5
cicabum
Addict
cicabum has much to be proud ofcicabum has much to be proud ofcicabum has much to be proud ofcicabum has much to be proud ofcicabum has much to be proud ofcicabum has much to be proud ofcicabum has much to be proud ofcicabum has much to be proud ofcicabum has much to be proud ofcicabum has much to be proud ofcicabum has much to be proud of

Device: Onyx Note3, Nova3, Hisense A5, Hisense Q5, Dasung Paperlike Pro-f
It works great on my Onyx Note and Hisense A5
cicabum is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-07-2021, 06:40 PM   #6
ahmedabdo
ahmedabdo began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox M92, Nova Pro, Poke Pro
Works very well on MAX 2 Pro. Thank you for the heads up!
ahmedabdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 09:30 AM   #7
Daniel Kao
Enthusiast
Daniel Kao format shifts faster than booting WindowsDaniel Kao format shifts faster than booting WindowsDaniel Kao format shifts faster than booting WindowsDaniel Kao format shifts faster than booting WindowsDaniel Kao format shifts faster than booting WindowsDaniel Kao format shifts faster than booting WindowsDaniel Kao format shifts faster than booting WindowsDaniel Kao format shifts faster than booting WindowsDaniel Kao format shifts faster than booting WindowsDaniel Kao format shifts faster than booting WindowsDaniel Kao format shifts faster than booting Windows

Device: Likebook Mars; Hisense A5, A5pro, A7
Now it's available on Google Play Store again! https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...eaukao.einkbro

Also it comes with even more features, like Reader mode, exporting web content to an epub file, and easy font size adjustment, etc.

If you wanna know more about this app, you could check this medium article before trying to install it.
Daniel Kao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 07:57 AM   #8
olbeggaols
Enthusiast
olbeggaols has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.olbeggaols has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.olbeggaols has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.olbeggaols has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Boox Max Lumi/Kobo Forma/Kindle Paperwhite
Greetings,

I downloaded the .apk file, but can someone explain how to install it? I have never heard of this extention. I read the README and two descriptions of the program but no instructions as to how to install it. Guessing it is stand alone and is just dropped into the Apps directory.

Boox Max Lumi.
olbeggaols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 08:07 AM   #9
salamanderjuice
Guru
salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Nova 2
Apk is the Android equivalent of an .exe. Just put it somewhere on the device and try to open it using storage and it will promt you to install. It may ask you to enable sideloading in that app first.
salamanderjuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 08:13 AM   #10
olbeggaols
Enthusiast
olbeggaols has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.olbeggaols has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.olbeggaols has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.olbeggaols has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Thanks salamanderjuice ... jeeze, what a name!
Old 06-25-2021, 02:06 PM   #11
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook NST, Glow2, 3, 4, '21, Kobo Aura2, Poke3, Poke5
If you have ADB on your desktop you can simply do:
Code:
C:\>adb install whatever.apk
Renate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 04:05 PM   #12
olbeggaols
Enthusiast

Hello Renate,

I am sure you have something there, but out of mercy on the dense and ignorant, could you explain:

What do you mean by "ADB on your desktop?" Are you talking about having the .apk on the desktop (in a downloads directory) or on having the app installed on the desktop? (I am using Windows 7) Are you saying that ADB can be installed on the Boox from the desktop?

What does

do: C:\>adb install whatever.apk

mean?
Do where? On a terminal on the desktop? Will there be an option as to where the program is installed in the apk file? Somewhere in the Boox? This is day 2 for me on this tool, and I have never had a cellphone or Android computer; and am only a few weeks into my first exploration of e-readers. I have read the manual. I do not see where there is a terminal command line on the Boox.
Old 06-25-2021, 05:36 PM   #13
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook NST, Glow2, 3, 4, '21, Kobo Aura2, Poke3, Poke5
ADB (Android Debug Bridge) is the powerful data highway to your device.
It's usually used over USB (although you can use it over WiFi too).
The client (adb.exe) must be installed on your desktop. (Google "minimal ADB".)
The server (adbd, but you don't really have to know that) is already on your Boox, but must be enabled with "USB debugging" in Settings.

Generally apps are installed in the same place.
If you don't actually have a separate SD card on your device you don't have to worry about it.
Renate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 05:42 PM   #14
salamanderjuice
Guru
salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Nova 2
adb stands for Android Debug Bridge. It's used by developers to communicate with Android devices from a PC during programming and can be used to install programs. Its run on your PC/Mac from the command line. Unless you have interest in programming your device or for some reason have hundreds of Android apps on your PC you want to sideload onto your device for some reason you can just forget it ever existed.

For occasional sideloading of an app It's easier to just do it on the device itself.
salamanderjuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 06:13 PM   #15
olbeggaols
Enthusiast

Thank you both.

At this point I think I will not be using ADB as I do not anticipate much in the way of uploading except for books and I am used to and at ease with just using the usb with the cable.