Closed Thread

Old 12-01-2020, 10:54 AM   #46
FlaJunkie
Frustrated eBook
FlaJunkie began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
If this is a public domain ebook please post it here. If not, PM either KevinH or DiapDealer here on Mobileread with a private link and we can use it for testing.

Thanks,

KevinH
This is the public domain book.
Attached Files
File Type: epub pg3741-images.epub (250.4 KB, 282 views)
Old 12-01-2020, 10:56 AM   #47
FlaJunkie
Frustrated eBook

Quote:
What is hotfix? Isn't that something that breaks Qt apps?

Again you must be more specific about what you are loading. Is there a test case you can supply us? I have opened literally thousands of epubs and the only ones Sigil has an issue with are those that are one big file with no line ends (just carriage return). Sigil if set to Mend on Open can fix those monstrocities automatically.

So we need more information or a test case? Are you using Sigil launched from within Calibre using "Open With" if so I would not recommend that as there are two different Qt versions involved.
Sorry. Hotfix is latest program.

I uninstalled mine and reinstalled latest.

Running Sigil stand alone. Open ebook and the fun began. Expensive lenovo yoga, win 10 - 64.
Advert
Old 12-01-2020, 11:00 AM   #48
exaltedwombat
Guru
exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
That epub opens fine in Sigil here, with or without 'mend' turned on. Cheap Acer laptop, latest Windows 10.
Old 12-01-2020, 12:01 PM   #49
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
Yes, there is something interfering with Sigil on your system. Sigil has no problems opening and working with that epub at all on my machine. I tested with Sigil-1.3.0, Sigil-1.4.2, and Sigil built from master today.

Perhaps it is your virus protection? Or another program that uses Qt that is interfering. Calibre has a list of common programs that make it freak out in its FAQ section. These programs would also cause issues for Sigil.

All I can say here is that it works for me quite easily.

KevinH
Old 12-01-2020, 12:05 PM   #50
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
I tried that epub with Sigil 1.42 under 2 Windows 10 x64 installs and MacOS Big Sur. The epub opened and I could switch tabs without seeing any issues. As for the structure of the epub? Blecchhh!
Advert
Old 12-01-2020, 12:17 PM   #51
FlaJunkie
Frustrated eBook

Quote:
Yes, there is something interfering with Sigil on your system. Sigil has no problems opening and working with that epub at all on my machine. I tested with Sigil-1.3.0, Sigil-1.4.2, and Sigil built from master today.

Perhaps it is your virus protection? Or another program that uses Qt that is interfering. Calibre has a list of common programs that make it freak out in its FAQ section. These programs would also cause issues for Sigil.

All I can say here is that it works for me quite easily.

KevinH
Could be something local to the laptop. Calibre runs on it at warp speed. I'll see what I can find out. In the meantime, I'll try it on my super desktop. Thanks.
Old 12-01-2020, 12:18 PM   #52
FlaJunkie
Frustrated eBook

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
I tried that epub with Sigil 1.42 under 2 Windows 10 x64 installs and MacOS Big Sur. The epub opened and I could switch tabs without seeing any issues. As for the structure of the epub? Blecchhh!
Yeah, it was from the Gutenberg site.
Old 12-01-2020, 12:34 PM   #53
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
To add my two cents: the book presents no problems (other than the hardcoded background/foreground colors) with Sigil 1.4.2 on my aging (and generally uninspiring) Dell Inspiron laptop (Windows 10 that has been updated from Windows 8 when the laptop was new).
Old 12-02-2020, 09:11 AM   #54
FlaJunkie
Frustrated eBook

Just reopened my epub. Still having slow-as-molasses issues. I know this isn't the place to discuss my errors.

I am baffled. I cannot use this program as is.

Thanks for the help.
Old 12-02-2020, 09:40 AM   #55
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Feel free to start a new thread about it. Even if it turns out to be something else; figuring out what's going on could be helpful to others (and could be something we can prevent once we know what it is).

Last edited by DiapDealer; 12-02-2020 at 09:47 AM.
Old 12-02-2020, 09:46 AM   #56
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Could it be anti virus detection/defender related? Can you try turning that off to see if by chance it is fighting to read/lock a file that has been locked by your anti-virus software?

Last edited by KevinH; 12-03-2020 at 09:38 AM.
Old 12-02-2020, 09:49 AM   #57
KevinH
Sigil Developer

Also you might try turning off Preview briefly to see if the issue is related to QtWebEngine in some way?
Old 12-02-2020, 11:46 AM   #58
FlaJunkie
Frustrated eBook

I'll check those things out and report later.

Meanwhile, I am using the program on my desktop and it seems to be working OK. There is some hesitation between html files but it is acceptable.
Old 12-03-2020, 11:13 AM   #59
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Closing this as Sigil 1.4.3 has been released with several critical bug fixes. If you're using Sigil 1.4.0 - 1.4.2, please uninstall and install version 1.4.3 instead.

@FlaJunkie if your slowness (on the one machine) persists with version 1.4.3 please bring it up in 1.4.3 thread (or start a new one). I have some questions about your setup on the machine where Sigil seems to have a serious case of the slows. Whenever you get time.
Old 12-03-2020, 01:36 PM   #60
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
it for you
Closed Thread