Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 11-29-2020, 06:02 AM   #31
BeckyEbook
Guru
BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Misc
The dictionaries folder is empty by default, because it is up to the user which dictionaries he wants to use.
If Sigil were to install all available dictionaries at once, it would not make sense, because the installation file would be huge, and rarer dictionaries would be used only by individuals or even no one.
Old 11-29-2020, 08:16 AM   #32
mechastyler
mechastyler began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeckyEbook View Post
The dictionaries folder is empty by default, because it is up to the user which dictionaries he wants to use.
If Sigil were to install all available dictionaries at once, it would not make sense, because the installation file would be huge, and rarer dictionaries would be used only by individuals or even no one.
Actually I've been using the TR dictionary.

I might've been deleted it before Sigil-1.4's issues fixed. Thx again.
Advert
Old 11-30-2020, 10:43 AM   #33
Shozzer
Shozzer began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis
1.4.2 Issues?

Hi

Firstly, thanks for the ongoing development of this fantastic product!

I updated last week from a previous version - unfortunately I can't recall which one it was... It was definitely prior to 1.4.0.

A couple of points:
  1. Sigil seems to lag when editing. When text is highlighted it can take a few seconds to show the highlight, or moving the cursor can produce a couple of seconds pause - everything freezes.
  2. I am using the splitmarker to divide a book but each time I press F6 to split at markers, Sigil closes without saving any changes. How can I debug such behaviour?

Thanks in anticipation.
Old 11-30-2020, 11:22 AM   #34
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Slowdowns and lagging cursors/highlighting are typically symptoms of working with large, monolithic html files instead of smaller chapter-sized html files. Or large html files that have very few line endings.

But 1.4.2 shouldn't really be any slower under these conditions than older versions.

This is the first report of crashing when using split at cursor that's been reported. How many split points at once are we talking about, here?
Old 11-30-2020, 11:53 AM   #35
Shozzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Slowdowns and lagging cursors/highlighting are typically symptoms of working with large, monolithic html files instead of smaller chapter-sized html files. Or large html files that have very few line endings.

But 1.4.2 shouldn't really be any slower under these conditions than older versions.

This is the first report of crashing when using split at cursor that's been reported. How many split points at once are we talking about, here?
Thanks for your reply. The work is quite large - 52 chapters and therefore 52 split points. The procedure I follow for converting to EPUB hasn't changed and often involves working initially with a larger file until it has been split into sections.

I have tried one split marker and that has worked ok. I can try it a few at a time and see if that helps but I had not observed this behaviour before.
Advert
Old 11-30-2020, 12:05 PM   #36
BeckyEbook
Guru
BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Misc
If I can give you a hint.

When working with large files that will be splited, it is useful to:
1) turn off the preview window (F10)
2) run the command "Mend and Prettify Code - All HTML Files" – Sigil works faster on "pretty" code.
Old 11-30-2020, 01:50 PM   #37
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Mend and Prettify will definitely speed things up where large files that contain huge swathes of code with very few line endings are concerned, As will turning closing Preview so it's not trying to update.

But regardless... Sigil shouldn't crash doing multiple splits. We'll need to try and duplicate it so we can track it down.
Old 11-30-2020, 02:53 PM   #38
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
I can not recreate any crashing issue related to split at markers in Sigil-1.4.2 but I have been able to recreate your issue about broken links (and the fix is in master).

The only workaround for Sigil-1.4.2 to fix the broken links is to do a find and replace on the file you are going to split and replace bare fragment links "ie. href="#myid" with the current file name so that it looks like the following (assuming the name of your big file is Section0001.xhtml).

href="Section0001.xhtml#myid"

Before running split at markers. In my testing this prevents the link breakage at least for a single split.

Turning Off Preview will definitely help with really large single files. Running Mend and Prettify on it to insert proper end of line markers will also help speed up editing. And when splitting manually or one at a time with split markers, you should always spilt off the bottom of the file (after fixing the hrefs as I pointed out earlier).

A better technique after fixing the bare links to prevent the bug, would be to use Find And Replace to auto insert all of the split markers and then run split at markers in order to take advantage of concurrent threads.

If you are doing lots of splitting from a big file you may want to revert to Sigil-1.3.0 instead of doing the workaround suggested above.

KevinH
Old 11-30-2020, 06:23 PM   #39
Shozzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
I can not recreate any crashing issue related to split at markers in Sigil-1.4.2 but I have been able to recreate your issue about broken links (and the fix is in master).

The only workaround for Sigil-1.4.2 to fix the broken links is to do a find and replace on the file you are going to split and replace bare fragment links "ie. href="#myid" with the current file name so that it looks like the following (assuming the name of your big file is Section0001.xhtml).

href="Section0001.xhtml#myid"

Before running split at markers. In my testing this prevents the link breakage at least for a single split.

Turning Off Preview will definitely help with really large single files. Running Mend and Prettify on it to insert proper end of line markers will also help speed up editing. And when splitting manually or one at a time with split markers, you should always spilt off the bottom of the file (after fixing the hrefs as I pointed out earlier).

A better technique after fixing the bare links to prevent the bug, would be to use Find And Replace to auto insert all of the split markers and then run split at markers in order to take advantage of concurrent threads.

If you are doing lots of splitting from a big file you may want to revert to Sigil-1.3.0 instead of doing the workaround suggested above.

KevinH
Thanks for all the tips. I will be reverting, for now, to 1.3.0. I had auto inserted split markers but it wasn't having it! I will await further developments.
Old 11-30-2020, 08:44 PM   #40
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Still can't recreate Sigil abruptly stopping even with a large number of split markers in a very large file. Could you have simply run out of memory?

If not, if you could pm me with a link to a testcase that causes a crash when split, that would be a big help.
Old 12-01-2020, 06:00 AM   #41
Shozzer

Yes, leave that with me and I will sort something out. I have reverted to 1.3.0 and successfully split the file and the footnote links have all updated satisfactorily as well (there are 713 of them - I know that's a lot but it's not my book!).

I will merge the chapters again and send you a link.
Old 12-01-2020, 10:26 AM   #42
FlaJunkie
Frustrated eBook
FlaJunkie began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Newbie here.

When I load an ePUB created from caliber, Sigil runs oddly. It is almost as if it is stopping every 30 seconds to "phone home" or something.

My cpu usage rises and then when it stops, the program is back. Click on something and the freeze occurs again.

Turned off viewer. Allowed it to pretty the code when it started.

Still doesn't work right.
Old 12-01-2020, 10:48 AM   #43
FlaJunkie
Frustrated eBook
FlaJunkie began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Just reinstalled hotfix.

Still has issues, but the viewer works.

Loading two large html files freezes the program.

Tried a different ebook. Freezes up changing between tabs of html files. Then returns and the tab is opened.

Bottom line: It doesn't work very well.
Old 12-01-2020, 10:48 AM   #44
KevinH
Sigil Developer

If this is a public domain ebook please post it here. If not, PM either KevinH or DiapDealer here on Mobileread with a private link and we can use it for testing.

Thanks,

KevinH
Old 12-01-2020, 10:51 AM   #45
KevinH
Sigil Developer

What is hotfix? Isn't that something that breaks Qt apps?

Again you must be more specific about what you are loading. Is there a test case you can supply us? I have opened literally thousands of epubs and the only ones Sigil has an issue with are those that are one big file with no line ends (just carriage return). Sigil if set to Mend on Open can fix those monstrocities automatically.

So we need more information or a test case? Are you using Sigil launched from within Calibre using "Open With" if so I would not recommend that as there are two different Qt versions involved.
Closed Thread