Notices

Old 12-30-2016, 08:47 PM   #1
DonatelloTHM
DonatelloTHM began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Kobo Aura One - Overdrive support

Hi everyone ,
I just got a Kobo Aura One from Ebay.
Until now I was using Amazon Kindle devices , but the seamless overdrive integration on Kobo Aura One was the biggest reason I switched to Kobo.
I live in US and unfortunately the device that I got is a Japanese version, and it seems like the Japanese version doesn't have support for Overdrive, yet.
Is there any way I can add the Overdrive function on my device?

Thanks in advance,
Donat.
DonatelloTHM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 08:54 PM   #2
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
There are no differences between any Kobo devices around the world. They use the same device with the same firmware. The differences are based on the account you use and location you connect from. If you Kobo account shows your country as the USA, it should have OD. You can check and change this on the Kobo site. Otherwise, check the affiliates.conf file in the .kobo directory on the device. It might have the affiliate set to "Rakuten". If so, change it to "Kobo".
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 09:07 PM   #3
DonatelloTHM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
There are no differences between any Kobo devices around the world. They use the same device with the same firmware. The differences are based on the account you use and location you connect from. If you Kobo account shows your country as the USA, it should have OD. You can check and change this on the Kobo site. Otherwise, check the affiliates.conf file in the .kobo directory on the device. It might have the affiliate set to "Rakuten". If so, change it to "Kobo".
That solved the problem , thanks a lot
Old 12-30-2016, 11:25 PM   #4
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonatelloTHM View Post
That solved the problem , thanks a lot
Just to be clear for anyone who finds this later: Was setting the country in your account or the changing the affiliate?
Old 01-02-2017, 02:40 PM   #5
DonatelloTHM

Quote:
Just to be clear for anyone who finds this later: Was setting the country in your account or the changing the affiliate?
Changing the affiliate made the overdrive function show on the device , but I'm not able to sign in , I have a New York Public Library card, but I'm not able to login , the screen is refreshing and it's returning to the part where you have to choose your library.
Old 01-03-2017, 12:55 PM   #6
gphotomom
gphotomom began at the beginning.

Device: kobo Aura One
how do I change the affiliate?
gphotomom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 01:30 PM   #7
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by gphotomom View Post
how do I change the affiliate?
See message #2 in the current thread: Kobo Aura One - Overdrive support #2 for that information.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 03:36 PM   #8
gphotomom

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
See message #2 in the current thread: Kobo Aura One - Overdrive support #2 for that information.
I saw that post. I've looked and looked and can't find a place to change my country on the Kobo site. How do I change the directory on the device?
Old 01-03-2017, 05:19 PM   #9
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gphotomom View Post
I saw that post. I've looked and looked and can't find a place to change my country on the Kobo site. How do I change the directory on the device?
Connect your Kobo ereader to your computer using a USB cable. If you are using a Windows operating system, you should see a directory called .kobo, if you are using a OSX or Linux operating system, you are going to need to enabling displaying hidden directories (UNIX based OS use a leading period to indicate a hidden directory/file) to see that directory.

Inside the .kobo directory, you will see a file called affiliate.conf. Opening that file with a text editor that respects Unix style end of line (I use Notepad++ with Windows, Linux and Mac OSX can use pretty much any text editor), you should see two lines of text:

Code:
[General]
affiliate=Kobo
Change the second line to match the above example to change your affiliate to Kobo.

To change the country, look at the bottom of the Kobo homepage. I've attached a sample of what I see connected to the site to this message and circled (ovaled?) Change country link. Click on the Change country link to change your country.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	country.png
Views:	718
Size:	7.5 KB
ID:	153942  
Old 01-03-2017, 05:30 PM   #10
gphotomom

thank you so much for the detailed instructions - this turned out to be very easy to do on my son's PC. I had been trying to figure it out on Mac.

Old 01-03-2017, 07:19 PM   #11
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
To change the country, look at the bottom of the Kobo homepage. I've attached a sample of what I see connected to the site to this message and circled (ovaled?) Change country link. Click on the Change country link to change your country.
That's not the one to use. That changes which country you are viewing, but doesn't change country associated with the account. That is done by clicking on "My Account" in the top right and selecting "Account Settings". The country is on the "Payment information". You need to put in a valid looking address in the country of choice. Unless Kobo has implemented geo-locking, that is enough to let you buy books from the new country and I assume to use the OD for that country.
Old 01-03-2017, 11:32 PM   #12
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:
That's not the one to use. That changes which country you are viewing, but doesn't change country associated with the account. That is done by clicking on "My Account" in the top right and selecting "Account Settings". The country is on the "Payment information". You need to put in a valid looking address in the country of choice. Unless Kobo has implemented geo-locking, that is enough to let you buy books from the new country and I assume to use the OD for that country.
Interesting. When I was looking at foreign language ebooks, changing the country and language at the bottom of the page seemed to move books in that national language to the top of my searches. I looked at changing the country under billing address but doing that required clearing payment information which left me unenthused about trying that option.
Old 01-04-2017, 12:00 AM   #13
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Interesting. When I was looking at foreign language ebooks, changing the country and language at the bottom of the page seemed to move books in that national language to the top of my searches. I looked at changing the country under billing address but doing that required clearing payment information which left me unenthused about trying that option.
The country in the account settings is about what each publisher can sell in each country. Traditionally, Australia got UK based editions of books rather than the US edition. That was based on the publisher and their contracts. It is still happening here and I frequently see links in the deals forum and find the book is unavailable here, but there is a different version available. And usually more expensive. Amazon do the same, but I think they use the IP address as well to determine the location.

For checking this, I have another account that I never use to buy books. I change the country whenever I want to look for "missing" books or see the deals others are getting.
Old 07-24-2017, 04:45 AM   #14
IndyUK
IndyUK began at the beginning.

Quote:
Hi

I know this post is old but, I wanted to say thanks for this pointer. I was getting a bit disappointed when I noticed Overdrive was not listed in the Settings menu. I bought the reader especially because according to some reviews it had Overdrive integration. Of course out of the box it didn't have it and I was hunting all over the Internet looking for a solution. Came across your post and bingo!

Thanks
IndyUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 09:54 AM   #15
Tropical reader
Tropical reader began at the beginning.

Hi I tried the above with my new Aura one bought from Amazon US this month but it didn't work. Changed the affiliate to Kobo ( used to be bestbuyca) and changed my account to US.
Overdrive has not made any appearance
Is there something new happening I have to do ? I am currently not in the US. Any help appreciated. Or should I return the device and buy another one from somewhere else ?
Tropical reader is offline   Reply With Quote