Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 05-03-2010, 11:17 AM   #1
llreader
Mesmerist
llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-600 Silver. Much nicer than I expected.
Thumbs down Can't Upgrade Adobe Digital Editions (Mac)

What a piece of... unpleasant stuff.

I went to get the Chicago Library book of the month, and ADE says that it needs to be upgraded, with the two options being "Upgrade later (close)" and "Upgrade Now". Both options shut ADE down.

I go to the ADE website, and try to download the new reader. It just opens the old one (brilliant).

So I trash the ADE app and try again, it runs the installer, which hangs at about 80%, for an hour now. If you try to Cancel the install it says the downloaded file has an invalid signature. Brilliant. And this is a book that I am interested in reading.

Anyone have any luck upgrading ADE?
llreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 11:28 AM   #2
yankgirl
Connoisseur
yankgirl is on a distinguished road

Device: iPhone, iPad 2, PPP(purple pocket pro) Nook Tablet, K4 & Kindle Fire!
What version do/did you have installed? I have 1.7.2 on my Mac Book with no problems. When I first installed ADE, I had a few problems. I just trashed the app, rebooted and reinstalled with no problems.

Hope that helps!

Also I see that you have a Sony. Can't you save the file and then open it in the Sony reader?
yankgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-03-2010, 11:41 AM   #3
llreader
Mesmerist
llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankgirl View Post
What version do/did you have installed? I have 1.7.2 on my Mac Book with no problems. When I first installed ADE, I had a few problems. I just trashed the app, rebooted and reinstalled with no problems.

Hope that helps!

Also I see that you have a Sony. Can't you save the file and then open it in the Sony reader?
I just got it installed. I had to go to the help page, and download the zipped installer and use that. It just fails when you try the "handy" link. Now that I did it, I think I had to do the same with the original last year.
Old 05-04-2010, 04:40 AM   #4
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro 9.7, iPhone 6 Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by llreader View Post
I just got it installed. I had to go to the help page, and download the zipped installer and use that. It just fails when you try the "handy" link. Now that I did it, I think I had to do the same with the original last year.
I was about to suggest doing that. I only got it sorted out last night myself. And I also managed (finally) to register an Adobe ID. That link didn't work either, so I had to find it myself on the site

I don't know about the PC version, but on the Mac ADE doesn't strike me as a very well designed piece of software. I even hate the all-black interface, you can't see a thing
FlorenceArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 05:11 AM   #5
llreader
Mesmerist

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlorenceArt View Post
I don't know about the PC version, but on the Mac ADE doesn't strike me as a very well designed piece of software. I even hate the all-black interface, you can't see a thing
You are being polite, it is a piece of crap. Adobe has some lousy software (Flash, Acrobat vs Almost anything else).
Advert
Old 05-04-2010, 09:36 AM   #6
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
Hmm, again some Adobe product runs not well on an Apple product.... I think Apple dropped the ball again. Honestly, it runs good enough on almost all platforms but since Steve is on the job, Adobe and Apple do not get along anymore.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 01:54 PM   #7
llreader
Mesmerist

I don't know, Flash has run like ass on OS X forever. And Acrobat reader is a slow, ugly, unstable beast on Windows (try Foxit Reader and see the difference). Foxit, besides being faster and lighter, has a nice flexible text copy function.
Old 05-04-2010, 05:10 PM   #8
simplyparticular
Guru
simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3 & GlowLight 4
llreader - glad you got it working. I had issues with ADE on my iMac last year, and got so frustrated with Adobe's installers (I also use Photoshop Elements).

I upgraded to a MBP and didn't have an issuing installing ADE recently, but the update to 1.7.2 did hang the first two times I tried.

Toxaris- I'm sure the Apple/Adobe relationship doesn't help matters, but Adobe has persisted in using buggy old installer scripts for way longer than the rest of the Mac world. I was shocked to download Photoshop Elements last year and it was still using VISE installers, which go back to OS9 and PPC. For a paid product from a software vendor of Adobe's standing, that's pathetic.
simplyparticular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 06:25 PM   #9
Blue Calx
Blue Calx began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-600
I'm having some real problems with ADE on my Macbook Pro. When I plug my Sony Reader in, ADE doesn't detect it. I also don't seem to have an 'About ADE' option so that I can check which version I have.

I recently bought an ebook and opened it in ADE first and DRM means that I can't use it on Sony Reader Library. As I can't send it to my Sony Reader from ADE, I'm forced to read it on the laptop screen, which is not why I bought it.

Has anyone got any ideas?
Blue Calx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 06:43 PM   #10
Blue Calx
Blue Calx began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-600
Actually, I've found that Sony is not supported by Adobe on the Mac. My issue is that my ADE on my Windows PC is registered to my Googlemail account, but on my Mac its with my Gmail one (these have just been converted in the UK).

Will contact Adobe to get the login reset, as suggested above...
Blue Calx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 02:37 AM   #11
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I have found that ADE doesn't seem to "see" a device if it is plugged in while ADE is active. Have you tried plugging the device, then starting ADE? It works for me, but then I don't have a Sony.
Old 05-09-2010, 05:50 AM   #12
llreader
Mesmerist

No, I didn't try that, because it had nothing to do with identifying the device - ADE said it needed to update, and quit, and it couldn't update automatically. So I had to download manually and install from the hard drive. Problem solved, but a poor show by Adobe, one of the big software houses. Automatic self-updating is pretty standard for even volunteer projects these days (Adium, etc.), and they even manage passwords and the whole bit. Of course, my problem may have been a rare case, but in my experience Adobe installers are wonky, at best.
Old 05-09-2010, 06:09 AM   #13
FlorenceArt
High Priestess

Quote:
No, I didn't try that, because it had nothing to do with identifying the device - ADE said it needed to update, and quit, and it couldn't update automatically. So I had to download manually and install from the hard drive. Problem solved, but a poor show by Adobe, one of the big software houses. Automatic self-updating is pretty standard for even volunteer projects these days (Adium, etc.), and they even manage passwords and the whole bit. Of course, my problem may have been a rare case, but in my experience Adobe installers are wonky, at best.
Sorry. I was replying to Blue Calx
Old 05-12-2010, 03:01 AM   #14
llreader
Mesmerist

Oops! Sorry. I am only checking in every once in a while, so I am a bit discombobulated.
Old 05-12-2010, 04:04 AM   #15
FlorenceArt
High Priestess

Quote:
Oops! Sorry. I am only checking in every once in a while, so I am a bit discombobulated.
That's OK. Should teach me to always quote when replying

Tags
ade, suck