Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Archive > OpenInkpot

Notices

Old 08-15-2009, 12:10 PM   #16
Moe The Cat
Bear Melt
Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Google Pixel 6, Moto G9 Power (both with Fbreader) & Kindle PW2
When you launch WinSCP, you should create a new session (the button is in the top right of the WinSCP window). Fill in "Host Name" as "192.168.111.1". "User Name" is "root" and "Password" is "zxc". Under "Protocol", use the drop-down menu to choose "SCP". Then you can save this session by clicking the "Save" button at the bottom of the window. That way, you won't have to recreate these settings each time you want to connect to the device. Then click "Login" at the bottom of the window.

The first time you do this, you will be asked to accept a key. I don't remember which option you select here. It might be "OK" or "Accept", but I think it's the option on the extreme left. You won't need to accept the key the next time you use WinSCP.

**Edit: Dave_S beat me to it! **
Old 08-15-2009, 12:17 PM   #17
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Experia Z Ultra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moe The Cat View Post

**Edit: Dave_S beat me to it! **
Yeah, but your description was better than mine.
Advert
Old 08-15-2009, 12:31 PM   #18
ascherjim
Addict
ascherjim has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ascherjim has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ascherjim has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: BeBook One, PocketBook 360, Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_S View Post
Since the instructions on the OpenInkpot site were for Putty, this is one area where the instructions did not help. I just randomly tried protocols until one of them connected. Strangely enough, the one that works for me is SCP.
On the first connection some credentials need to be set up so you will get a few extra popups to work through on the very first connection. On all subsequent connections WinSCP initially throws a couple of warning messages and then works perfectly, at least in my case.
Dave: SCP worked fine! Again thanks. Of course, once I got in, I was again in OpenInk on my BeBook, the same as with Putty, but with the convenience (as you pointed out earlier) of working with the Windows Explorer format rather than the Linux command line.

Now, however, arises for me the key question. Once within WinSCP, how do I access titles on my PC in order then to copy them to my BeBook?

MOE: I RESPONDED TO DAVE BEFORE RECEIVING YOUR ADDITIONAL INSTRUCTIONS, WHICH DESCRIBED THE METHODOLOGY (AND CONFIRMED FOR ME) WHAT I HAD LABORIOUSLY WORKED OUT FOR MYSELF. MANY THANKS.

Last edited by ascherjim; 08-15-2009 at 12:35 PM.
Old 08-15-2009, 12:41 PM   #19
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ascherjim View Post
Now, however, arises for me the key question. Once within WinSCP, how do I access titles on my PC in order then to copy them to my BeBook?
There are a couple of ways. If I recall correctly, WinSCP has an option to set up a dual pane window or just a single window onto OpenInkpot. I use the dual pane window, so I can not remember how you would end up with a single pane window. Using a dual pane window you just drag from the left pane (your PC file system) to the right pane( your OI file system). You can also just drag a file from the Windows file manager into the OI file system window in WinSCP.

BTW, your book files go into the /mnt/storage directory on OpenInkpot. You can set up whatever directory structure that you want inside /mnt/storage
Old 08-15-2009, 12:52 PM   #20
ascherjim
Addict
ascherjim has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ascherjim has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ascherjim has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
There are a couple of ways. If I recall correctly, WinSCP has an option to set up a dual pane window or just a single window onto OpenInkpot. I use the dual pane window, so I can not remember how you would end up with a single pane window. Using a dual pane window you just drag from the left pane (your PC file system) to the right pane( your OI file system). You can also just drag a file from the Windows file manager into the OI file system window in WinSCP.

BTW, your book files go into the /mnt/storage directory on OpenInkpot. You can set up whatever directory structure that you want inside /mnt/storage
Dave: Thanks again. I tried a simple copy and paste which worked fine. I'll experiment later possibly with a dual pane method. I guess that takes care of everything for me at present. You and Moe have been great. Regards to you both, Jim
Advert
Old 08-16-2009, 05:41 AM   #21
legin
legin began at the beginning.

Device: Bebook
as to where to finde the latest snapshot all i did was go to the one linked from oi's site then changed the adress to the current date then work backwords till one worked e.g 20090816 then 20090815 etc.
Old 08-16-2009, 06:13 AM   #22
ascherjim
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by legin View Post
as to where to finde the latest snapshot all i did was go to the one linked from oi's site then changed the adress to the current date then work backwords till one worked e.g 20090816 then 20090815 etc.
Legin: That's of course a good fall-back way of doing it, but wouldn't it be nice if any new snapshot were simply just announced in this forum? Thanks, though, for sharing with me your method.
Old 08-16-2009, 06:31 AM   #23
Dave_S
What Title ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ascherjim View Post
but wouldn't it be nice if any new snapshot were simply just announced in this forum?
They have been announced in this forum in the past. I can not speak for the OI developers, but I think one reason that this August snapshot has not been officially announced is that it does not yet have a users guide. The latest users guide that I have seen on the OI site is for the 26 March snapshot.
Old 08-16-2009, 06:36 AM   #24
legin
legin began at the beginning.

Device: Bebook
ascherjim: i agree with you as the latest one io's there site is from march any one not thinking to serch could not use the latest snapshot nor give any feedback on what has changed or any problems encounterd.

sorry Dave s got in with his explonation whole i was dooing my slow one finger typing. The lack of a user guide is a good reason as the new snapshot is a total change (though i for one am a born button pusher and see what happens).

Last edited by legin; 08-16-2009 at 06:46 AM.
Old 08-17-2009, 05:01 AM   #25
cloggy
Connoisseur
cloggy began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Sony PRS-T1
..hhmmm...I'm still struggling to get the Winscp working. As soon as I connect the USB cable to the reader, OI goes into panic mode and I cannot access it. (note that I have open a ticket for it)
Later today, I'll try to connect it to a Windows 7 version, maybe its my Windows/XP-PE SP3 that is causing these problems.

FYI...I went back to the 20090508 snapshot as the latest version only supports fbReader and not CR3 and the UI font type is way too big (titles are cut). Furthermore, I have the impression that a reboot with the latest snapshot takes longer than the 20090508 (maybe because of the added games (which, IMHO, should be eliminated or made optional)). Note that I've done several reboots after the installation of 20090812 snapshot so the slow reboot cannot be blamed to the reformat of the internal memory file structure.

As they are all test versions, I patiently wait till we get a formal announcement of a new snapshot including some documentation. Till then, I stick with 20090508..

Regards...Dick
Old 08-22-2009, 07:56 PM   #26
dottedmag
OpenInkpot co-founder
dottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
They have been announced in this forum in the past. I can not speak for the OI developers, but I think one reason that this August snapshot has not been officially announced is that it does not yet have a users guide. The latest users guide that I have seen on the OI site is for the 26 March snapshot.
The actual problem is that current V3 version has a quite serious regressions (there are no "numbers" beside list items in interface, you can't open context menus in bookshelf or 'file info' menu in FBreader and PDF reader lacks bookshelf integration).
Old 09-18-2009, 07:20 PM   #27
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
Quote:
When I click on Moe The Cat's link Firefox offers to download linux.inf immediately, so he has apparently given you a direct link??????????

As far as where to set your static IP for the OpenInkpot USB TCP/IP connection, it is in the Network Connections that you can access from the Control Panel among other ways. You will only see that connection in Network Connections when the reader with OpenInkpot is attached to your computer by USB. Then, in the Internet Protocol section of the Properties window for that connection, you set your static IP address as indicated by the OpenInkpot instructions.
OK this isn't happening. When I go to Network Connections the only connections I see are Broadband, Internet, & Local Area. My OpenInkpot EZ Reader is connected via USB. (Does it make a difference whether it is 1.1 or 2.0 USB?)

I have downloaded linux.inf and am trying to use WINSCP but what is the Private Key File? I feel like I must be getting closer but sure not there yet.
Old 09-18-2009, 08:56 PM   #28
ascherjim
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by slayda View Post
OK this isn't happening. When I go to Network Connections the only connections I see are Broadband, Internet, & Local Area. My OpenInkpot EZ Reader is connected via USB. (Does it make a difference whether it is 1.1 or 2.0 USB?)

I have downloaded linux.inf and am trying to use WINSCP but what is the Private Key File? I feel like I must be getting closer but sure not there yet.
It's a long, complex (and sometimes bewildering) thread I've directed you to, which takes unfortunately considerable rereading and study. I regret there's no current simplified (and ACCURATE) instructions available. And unfortunately, I don't recall specifically everything I did to finally get it working. But I ultimately IGNORED trying to do anything with linux.inf (except to download it as a text file). One of the most confusing things is that once you get WinSCP set up with the right IP address(es), when you try to use it you initially get TWO warning messages each time Ignore these and skip past them, and lo-and-behold, you will find yourself in WinSCP. I suspect this isn't much help, but when Dave_S in Germany wakes up and sees all this, he may provide you more help. Good luck, and regards, Jim

Last edited by ascherjim; 09-18-2009 at 09:13 PM.
Old 09-19-2009, 02:56 AM   #29
Dave_S
What Title ?

Quote:
You need to install the linux.inf file. All that does is activate the required TCP/IP over USB software that is already on your WinXP computer. When that is installed, you should hear the Windows "Ka-Bong" tone whenever you connect your OpenInkpot device to your PC. If you do not hear that connect tone, then it is not connecting, so nothing further will help, until you find out why it is not connecting.
Quote:
Attach the cable to the device. Windows will pop-up dialog asking for driver. Point to the linux.inf you've downloaded.

After installing driver Windows will create a new network connection. Change the following parameters for it: IP address to 192.168.111.2, netmask to 255.255.255.0.

Now run your SSH client(WINSCP) and point it to the 192.168.111.1 (username: root, password: zxc).
Quote:
WINSCP and OpenInkpot will setup their own keyfile, so you do not need to pre-create one.
Old 09-19-2009, 07:34 AM   #30
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
Quote:
You need to install the linux.inf file. All that does is activate the required TCP/IP over USB software that is already on your WinXP computer. When that is installed, you should hear the Windows "Ka-Bong" tone whenever you connect your OpenInkpot device to your PC. If you do not hear that connect tone, then it is not connecting, so nothing further will help, until you find out why it is not connecting.

WINSCP and OpenInkpot will setup their own keyfile, so you do not need to pre-create one.
How exactly do I "install the linux.inf file"? The tone I get now when I plug the reader in is more like "da-da-da".

EDIT: OK I seem to have it now (I think).

Last edited by slayda; 09-19-2009 at 07:44 AM.