Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 08-21-2017, 07:31 PM   #1
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
I still miss Stanza

I know there are now lots of apps for reading, but I still miss Stanza's book management. My comments are prompted by some thread regarding carting all your books about in your reader. I used to carry a couple of hundred in Stanza, but I dont dare do that with any of the others because none have the advanced management that Stanza had. In fact, I miss it so much, I am currently recharging my old 4S and will be using that probably from here on. Yes I liked Marvin, and I currently use Hyphen, I'm still unimpressed by Megareader, epub reader, TiReader, etc... they just dont do the job. Whats next?

I just wish that one of the devs would implement the same book management technique that stanza had. Why is it so hard to do???
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 07:50 PM   #2
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyteflyer View Post
I just wish that one of the devs would implement the same book management technique that stanza had. Why is it so hard to do???
I doubt it's hard to do, just that different devs have different ideas about what's "best"?
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-22-2017, 03:49 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Have you considered separating the tasks of library management and reading, and using Calibre Companion for the management side of things?

(That is, if you use Calibre, of course!)
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 04:53 PM   #4
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
I doubt it's hard to do, just that different devs have different ideas about what's "best"?
Indeed. I kept asking Kris (Marvin) and although the management improved, still was not what I was looking for. Later iterations were no better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Have you considered separating the tasks of library management and reading, and using Calibre Companion for the management side of things?

(That is, if you use Calibre, of course!)
I have Calibre Companion, but I don't seem to "get" it. I just download directly from Calibre via wifi :-/ But, overall, I'd rather have an all in one. With the current crop of apps though, you cant, unless you are happy with a massively long list of books... and I'm not. I never have more than 3 or 4 on board at a time, anymore.

Last edited by kyteflyer; 08-22-2017 at 04:56 PM.
Old 08-22-2017, 06:32 PM   #5
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
With the current crop of apps though, you cant, unless you are happy with a massively long list of books... and I'm not.
Have you looked at "sets" in MapleRead? Don't know if it accomplishes what you want exactly, but it's a way to not have a long list of books.

I haven't used them myself as I'm quite happy using the power offered by Calibre Companion in conjunction with MapleRead.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-24-2017, 04:29 PM   #6
kyteflyer
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Have you looked at "sets" in MapleRead? Don't know if it accomplishes what you want exactly, but it's a way to not have a long list of books.

I haven't used them myself as I'm quite happy using the power offered by Calibre Companion in conjunction with MapleRead.
I bought Mapleread but for some reason have been unable to bond with it. I'll take another look. Thanks for the suggestion.

[edit] Actually the folders of books by Author works pretty much as it did in Stanza. Its a pity that I simply detest the way the app is presented. Even getting rid of the fake shelves doesnt improve it. Cannot like it. Sorry.

Last edited by kyteflyer; 08-24-2017 at 05:33 PM.
Old 08-25-2017, 07:41 AM   #7
nimapourkarimi
Connoisseur
nimapourkarimi is a rising star in the heavensnimapourkarimi is a rising star in the heavensnimapourkarimi is a rising star in the heavensnimapourkarimi is a rising star in the heavensnimapourkarimi is a rising star in the heavensnimapourkarimi is a rising star in the heavensnimapourkarimi is a rising star in the heavensnimapourkarimi is a rising star in the heavensnimapourkarimi is a rising star in the heavensnimapourkarimi is a rising star in the heavensnimapourkarimi is a rising star in the heavens

Device: iPad mini 3, Kindle PW2
Quote:
I bought Mapleread but for some reason have been unable to bond with it. I'll take another look. Thanks for the suggestion.

[edit] Actually the folders of books by Author works pretty much as it did in Stanza. Its a pity that I simply detest the way the app is presented. Even getting rid of the fake shelves doesnt improve it. Cannot like it. Sorry.
Exactly, it's very good implemented and full-featured but the interface is hideous, I just can't like it.
nimapourkarimi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 08:31 AM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Stanza was good at organizing eBooks, but not so good at actually displaying eBooks with the numerous bugs/glitches/gotchas/not following CSS. It's not a reading app I've ever liked.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 05:28 PM   #9
kyteflyer
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Stanza was good at organizing eBooks, but not so good at actually displaying eBooks with the numerous bugs/glitches/gotchas/not following CSS. It's not a reading app I've ever liked.
Yep, it certainly had its issues. Its still a pity that Amazon killed it, instead of allowing further development, or even incorporating some of its better features into the Kindle app. I'll never understand how or why that happened. Its not like Stanza was any kind of competition. But, I guess thats all been done to death.
Old 08-26-2017, 07:23 AM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Yep, it certainly had its issues. Its still a pity that Amazon killed it, instead of allowing further development, or even incorporating some of its better features into the Kindle app. I'll never understand how or why that happened. Its not like Stanza was any kind of competition. But, I guess thats all been done to death.
Many companies buy another company or product and kill it off without saying why. Maybe Amazon bought Stanza and incorporated the programmers into Amazon's staff.
Old 08-26-2017, 04:15 PM   #11
kyteflyer
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Many companies buy another company or product and kill it off without saying why. Maybe Amazon bought Stanza and incorporated the programmers into Amazon's staff.
Nope. They were encouraged to leave. They went on to other projects which didnt involve creating reading apps.

In the meantime I have given up on it again. I guess its Hyphen and Marvin for me, and only a few books on board at any one time. Oh well, no great hardship, really.
Old 09-14-2017, 11:36 AM   #12
nrubenstein
nrubenstein can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguenrubenstein can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguenrubenstein can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguenrubenstein can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguenrubenstein can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguenrubenstein can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguenrubenstein can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguenrubenstein can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguenrubenstein can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguenrubenstein can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguenrubenstein can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: iPhone
Shubook is the only option that I have found with acceptable book management.

I still don't understand why browsing by author in folders is such a complicated concept for people who make ebook readers.
nrubenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 01:09 PM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

But what an an eBook reading app that actually doesn't monkey with the CSS when you are customizing options? Is there such a program?
Old 09-14-2017, 03:50 PM   #14
kyteflyer
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrubenstein View Post
Shubook is the only option that I have found with acceptable book management.

I still don't understand why browsing by author in folders is such a complicated concept for people who make ebook readers.
Agreed. Maybe I should go back to Shubook. I have that, too. Megareader does management quite well but with a fugly GUI, and crappy implementation (or none) for fonts and variations (cant think of the term I want)
Old 09-14-2017, 04:13 PM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrubenstein View Post
I don't think it's that it's complicated; more a case that it's just not a particularly good way to deal with a large library. Most people are interested in being able to browse on more than simply "author", hence a database which allows you to sort your library by author, title, series, genre, tag, etc, gives you far more flexibility.

I.e. Browse useful information rather than being constrained by the storage of books in the underlying file system.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote